Author Topic: Obama's new preacher hits bottom, keeps digging.  (Read 4898 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Obama's new preacher hits bottom, keeps digging.
« on: March 23, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/03/23/in-eastor-sermon-trinity-united-pastor-compares-rev-wright-to-jesus/

CHICAGO  The new pastor of Barack Obamas church delivered a defiant defense of its retiring reverend Sunday, comparing media coverage of Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. to a modern-day lynching that resembles Jesus death at the hands of the Romans.

In a sunrise Easter sermon, Rev. Otis Moss III never mentioned Wright by name, but implied that his mentor, who has delivered sermons in which he likened the U.S. to the Ku Klux Klan and declared it damned for its state-sponsored terrorism, is facing the same challenges Jesus did.No one should start a ministry with lynching, no one should end their ministry with lynching, Moss said.

The lynching was national news. The RNN, the Roman News Network, was reporting it and NPR, National Publican Radio had it on the radio. The Jerusalem Post and the Palestine Times all wanted exclusives, they searched out the young ministers, showed up unannounced at their houses, tried to talk with their families, called up their friends, wanted to get a quote on how do you feel about the lynching? he continued.

The criticism surrounding Wright has not softened the services at Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama has been a congregant for 20 years. Instead, Moss defiantly defended their method of worship, referencing rap lyrics to make his point.If I was Ice Cube Id say it a little differently  You picked the wrong folk to mess with, Moss said to an enthusiastic congregation, standing up during much of the sermon, titled How to Handle a Public Lynching.

Wrights sermons were criticized for casting the country as institutionally racist and Obama sharply condemned Wrights remarks as racially divisive in a high-profile speech Tuesday, though the candidate would not renounce the pastor himself. Church officials said Wright, who is now on sabbatical and entering retirement after nearly 40 years of service with the church, was not attending any service Sunday.

Obama and his family were spending Easter on vacation and also were not attending services.

Though the church recently moved a once-prominent section on its Web site about the Black Value System, the congregation still describes itself as unashamedly black and unapologetically Christian. A plaque states this prominently behind the front desk.

The sermons Sunday, which kept references to Wright as a common thread, implied that the firestorm over Wrights remarks has taken the churchs teachings out of context.

Bishop Vashti Murphy McKenzie, the first female bishop in the AME Church, also delivered a sermon, in which she talked about visionaries like King and Gandhi and Jeremiah (it was unclear whether she meant Wright), and argued that their words werent about anger, but about a passion that demands confrontation.

The purveyors of information are trying to be judge and jury over prophetic utterances, she said.

The church program handed out Sunday also included an essay called Not on My Watch from the Rev. Samuel B. McKinney of Mount Zion Baptist Church in Seattle. McKinney said he was greatly disturbed by the media feeding frenzy that has tarnished everyone in the process.

Dr. Wright represents the best among us & An attack on this man of God is an attack on all those of the cloth who believe in the social Gospel of liberation. And I will not stand for it, he wrote.

Moss issued several pleas to congregants to donate to what he called the Resurrection Fund, stressing that during this time of battle, money is needed to defend the church. He offered no additional specifics about the fund, telling churchgoers he didnt want to get into it because Trinity is streaming the service live on the Web and the services are available for purchase on DVD.

He concluded with another analogy, saying, In order to crucify him youve got to lift him up & he had more visibility on the cross than he did during his entire ministry.

FOX News Jeff Goldblatt contributed to this report.

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Obama's new preacher hits bottom, keeps digging.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »
Pass the popcorn, this should just get better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »
The church program handed out Sunday also included an essay called Not on My Watch from the Rev. Samuel B. McKinney of Mount Zion Baptist Church in Seattle. McKinney said he was greatly disturbed by the media feeding frenzy that has tarnished everyone in the process.
In this case, the media really just made sure everyone knew about it.  The media does it's normal thing, but it was the recorded sermon clips that get people's attention.  I think I heard it first on the Walton and Johnson radio show down here. 

But yeah, I agree with BigJake.  This ought to be interesting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
Are all black churches this out of touch with mainstream America?  Or is it only Obama's church?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 06:17:28 PM »
Well, O.K. the Klan was "state-sponsored" but geez they've been dead since the 1920s since the FBI set Stephenson up with the teen age girl?

O.K., I'll say some things that .gov does are terroristic, like kill people over alleged $5 and $200 tax violations.

I'm not so sure I would be quoting Ice Cube.  You probably just lost the Korean vote Hussein. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »
How dare anyone show video clips of a religious leader, and question their teachings!  Does this mean we can't say anything bad about Pat Robertson anymore? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
Are all black churches this out of touch with mainstream America?  Or is it only Obama's church?
I doubt it (to both questions).
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »
Well, O.K. the Klan was "state-sponsored" but geez they've been dead since the 1920s since the FBI set Stephenson up with the teen age girl?

O.K., I'll say some things that .gov does are terroristic, like kill people over alleged $5 and $200 tax violations.

I'm not so sure I would be quoting Ice Cube.  You probably just lost the Korean vote Hussein. grin

El Tejon, could you please elaborate on the FBI's involvement?  I was unaware.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:19:22 AM »
Was that the KKK leader in Indiana that mutilated a prostitute? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._C._Stephenson
Yep, that is him.  And it was in a squeaky clean "we didn't have slavery" Northern state also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:04:58 AM »
How come they're not yanking that church's tax exempt status?

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:13:40 PM »
So far, Trinity Church does not appear to be under investigation.  It's denomination, The United Church of Christ, is being investigated for possible breach of their tax-exempt status, due to a speech by Obama at their national convention last year. 

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/03/12/obamas-controversial-pastor-puts-church-in-hot-water/

The Internal Revenue Service wouldnt comment on whether it is looking into potential tax violations at Trinity United. The church declined to make Wright available for an interview.

Congregant Dwight Hopkins, a professor of Theology at the University of Chicago, said there is no basis for the IRS to go after the church.

From the church side they will say its theology, said. If it wasnt a senator running for president and it wasnt his church, then I think we could say all kinds of things.

The IRS has written dozens of letters warning churches against political advocacy from the pulpit. Yet it has revoked a churchs tax-exempt status only twice in the last half-century.

Walsh said its not typical for the IRS to enforce the rules.

Theres a tension here between the desires of the religious leaders to say important things in the public marketplace and the IRS rules, and so most of the time, the IRS does not enforce these rules, Walsh said.

The public scrutiny of these sermons comes in the wake of last months revelation by the head of the United Church of Christ that the IRS is investigation a speech Obama gave at the denominations national conference last year in Connecticut.

In a certified letter, Marsha Ramirez, IRS director, EO Examinations, wrote:

Our concerns are based on articles posted on several Web sites including the churchs which state the United States Presidential Candidate Senator Barack Obama addressed nearly 10,000 church members gathered at the United Church of Christs biennial General Synod at the Hartford Civic Center, on June 23, 2007. In addition, 40 Obama volunteers staffed campaign tables outside the center to promote his campaign.

The church and the Obama campaign have denied that any inappropriate political advocacy occurred during this speech.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »
My god can beat up your god.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
My God beat up Chuck Norris. 

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
That's the problem with you fanatical religious types.  Asserting obvious falsehoods as doctrine.  rolleyes

-BP,  grin
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

johnster999

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 10:16:54 AM »
What all is involved in yanking a church's tax exempt status? Anybody know of some examples?

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »
Rev. Wright recently purchased a million dollar plus home, with the church backing the mortgage and an additional $10 million line of credit.

Shades of Jim Bakker.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »
Rev. Wright recently purchased a million dollar plus home, with the church backing the mortgage and an additional $10 million line of credit.

Shades of Jim Bakker.

Except Bakker couldn't play the race card.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »
That's the problem with you fanatical religious types.  Asserting obvious falsehoods as doctrine.  rolleyes

That's a stoning for you, pagan.   angry

Speaking of stonings, here's something that might amuse you.  In a snake-handling church, the necessary reptiles will be provided.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 01:43:54 PM »
Goddamn America, whitey has kept me down....in this 10 million dollar house. 

Seems to me he needs to pony up with Sean Penn, et. al and walk the walk. Straight to the border.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
What I have heard about Wright's bio was that his parents were pretty solidly middle class.  No hardship for him. 

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
Goddamn America, whitey has kept me down....in this 10 million dollar house. 

Word.
7-11 was a part time job.