Author Topic: NRA leadership meets with speaker of the Russian senate [not kidding]  (Read 4897 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
According to this here Russian website, Senator Torshin, a prominent advocate of the legalization of pistols (currently illegal in Russia, he wants them to be available with a permit)  together with some other pro-gun Russians, have met with the President of the NRA, who has promised to cooperate with Torshin and his associates via the exchange of expert advice. Torshin has also been invited to appear at an NRA event in St. Louis in 2012.

Here's a letter from the NRA to the good Senator.

I ain't sure what this all means.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Maybe the NRA can get some of the old KGB files on Schumer, Obama, Pelosi, and the others in time for their next lobbying push?.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Maybe the NRA can get some of the old KGB files on Schumer, Obama, Pelosi, and the others in time for their next lobbying push?.....  =D

Win.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
I gotta admit it would be nice to see more countries adopting more open gun laws.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Why would the KGB share personnel records of their own operatives with anyone?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Why would the KGB share personnel records of their own operatives with anyone?  ???

Cold hard cash, of course.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Stand_watie

• friend
I ain't sure what this all means.

Me neither and I grew up reading cursive English. Hopefully he enclosed a typewritten copy of the letter to help the poor Russian out.

First few words I can make out..."Just a breit mote to (something something something) just (something) much I enjoyed..."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:01:31 AM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Transcription

Just a brief note to let you know just how much I enjoyed our meeting in Pittsburgh during the NRA Annual Meetings.

As I indicated, you and your colleagues will receive a formal invitation to next year's meeting in St. Louis. (We're hoping fistful will be there, since he lives in the area. Wouldn't it be exciting to see fistful in person? What a great guy he is.) For planning purposes, you may want to note that it will be held on April 12-17th, 2012.

In the interim if there's anything any of us can do to help you in your endeavors there, please don't hesitate to let us know.

With all best wishes, I am [?]

Illegible Signature
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
Well,  the pistol-legalization bill is now in  the Russian senate.

Current version is probably the result of multiple compromises, and as such is made of... well, let's see:

1. Pistols will be legal, limited to 300 joules muzzle energy and 1 pistol per person.
2. Age limit will be 23.
3. Permits to own said pistols will be only available to men who served in the Russian armed forces, thus excluding practically all women and almost anybody with a college degree of any kind.

stevelyn

• friend
Re: NRA leadership meets with speaker of the Russian senate [not kidding]
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 01:26:27 AM »
Well,  the pistol-legalization bill is now in  the Russian senate.

Current version is probably the result of multiple compromises, and as such is made of... well, let's see:

1. Pistols will be legal, limited to 300 joules muzzle energy and 1 pistol per person.
2. Age limit will be 23.
3. Permits to own said pistols will be only available to men who served in the Russian armed forces, thus excluding practically all women and almost anybody with a college degree of any kind.

It's still a start.

Mebbe with the establishment of Gunsite or Thunder Ranch Moscow, the military requirement will be waived in the future.  =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 01:33:40 AM »
There are, you know, several IPSC clubs in Moscow. I think they compete with these silly 'traumatic weapons'.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 05:43:20 AM »

~220ft-lbs. A good many .38Spl loads exceed that.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 07:24:36 AM »
There are, you know, several IPSC clubs in Moscow. I think they compete with these silly 'traumatic weapons'.

Russian IPSC has some real pistols in 9mm. They are severely limited in the choice of models, prices are sky-high, pistols have to be kept at the range and you have to show some level of participation in competition before you are considered a sportsman and can buy one. It's a rich man's obstacle course.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 07:34:41 AM »
Which is funny, because when I visited Moscow on a school trip in 1994, it took slightly less then 48 hours before I was offered a pistol. (note: I was 15 at the time)

Things might have changed in the almost 20 years since, but getting a firearm in either Moscow or St. Petersburg was trivially easy.  They had gun checks at the clubs.

The whole thing was kinda wink-wink, nudge-nudge.  As usual with gun Control, it only inconveniences the people that chose to play by the rules.

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Dear Sen. Jorshin

just a brief note to let you know just
how much I enjoyed our meeting in Pittsburg
during ___ NRA anual meeting.
As I understand, you and your colleagues
will recieve a formal invitation to next years meeting in St. Louis. For planning purposes,
you may want to note that It will be
held in April 12-17 2012.

In __ _____ if theirs ____
any of us can do to help you in your
endevers their, please don't hesitate
to let us know.
With all best wishes, I am.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
Will any carry of pistols be allowed?