Author Topic: Rachel Corrie's Death Ruled Accidental  (Read 4896 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Rachel Corrie's Death Ruled Accidental
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:33 AM »
I didn't know lawsuits were still in play on this. If this had been in the US, somehow I think the ruling wouldn't have been as sensible. Anyway, pancakes for everyone.

A quote from the article:

Their lawyer, Hussein Abu Hussein, lamented the court's ruling, saying "the verdict blames the victim."

Duh.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/28/israeli-court-rejects-killed-us-activist-family-civil-lawsuit/#ixzz24pDFXDbS?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Rachel Corrie's Death Ruled Accidental
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »
While I don't exactly approve of standing in front of a killdozer, I also have a hard time rewarding a country that kills a US citizen. We should shave off at least a billion dollars per fatality in any foreign aid we provide. Actually, suspension of all foreign aid for one year per citizen might be better. Preferably with bombing some important piece of infrastructure, but good luck with that.

Call me funny, but I prefer foreign countries be very nervous about killing US citizens.

$34 billion, 34 years without foreign aid, and/or 34 important pieces of infrastructure utterly destroyed would have been a more fitting tribute to the fallen. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:38:12 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »
Not familiar with the case.
I assume the pancake reference is 'as flat as a pancake', yes?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
While I don't exactly approve of standing in front of a killdozer, I also have a hard time rewarding a country that kills a US citizen. We should shave off at least a billion dollars per fatality in any foreign aid we provide. Actually, suspension of all foreign aid for one year per citizen might be better. Preferably with bombing some important piece of infrastructure, but good luck with that.

Call me funny, but I prefer foreign countries be very nervous about killing US citizens.

$34 billion, 34 years without foreign aid, and/or 34 important pieces of infrastructure utterly destroyed would have been a more fitting tribute to the fallen.  

I wouldn't want to see US citizens killed with malice, or even negligence by foreign powers, but I don't think Corrie falls into those categories. This case is no different than a US citizen stepping in front of a US bus or train or whatever and demanding they "STOP!". I know we had discussions on this when it happened. You step in front of a militarized D-13, you can't expect the operator to see you. Regardless how anyone might feel about the politics of what the Israelis were doing, this was a case of pure stupidity and negligence on the victim's part. Harsh, but true.

Jamie -- at the time, the "Friends of Rachel Corrie" had a pancake breakfast as a fundraiser or something. The irony became something of a joke.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
. . . I also have a hard time rewarding a country that kills a US citizen . . .
Generally agree, but in this instance, it was more of a suicide by someone that allied themselves with the . . . "Palestinians" . . . than anything else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
Don't forget the bacon with the pancakes please.  I'll take mine with raisins and cinnamon with lots of syrup.

Maybe a new brand of pancakes?

Flatasa Pancake brand with a pic of a bulldozer on the front.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
Regardless how anyone might feel about the politics of what the Israelis were doing, this was a case of pure stupidity and negligence on the victim's part. Harsh, but true.

No argument there. Terminally stupid or wanting to become a martyr. From what I gather ISM has a tendency of putting idiotic Western kids in a position of getting shot or injured, for media attention and "raise awareness".

Best solution would be halt foreign aid to the entire region and stay out of the entire mess in general.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
When you play chicken with someone moving an object larger than yourself it is evident you have to factor in the possibility of serious bodily injury, even if it is a slow moving object. That being said however, given the behavior of Israeli government forces in that area and it's disposition towards "foreign people", I don't believe that the killdozer operator would have had any motivation to stop whether he saw her or not. I have a very skeptical view of military vs. civilians operations in general, and even more so of the type going on in that particular region.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »
No argument there. Terminally stupid or wanting to become a martyr. From what I gather ISM has a tendency of putting idiotic Western kids in a position of getting shot or injured, for media attention and "raise awareness".

Best solution would be halt foreign aid to the entire region and stay out of the entire mess in general.

I am Boris Karpa and I approve this message.

I am also reminded of that time when an Italian communist/Hamas sympathiser got taken hostage by Al-Quaeda's Gaza branch.

(Yes, it was hilarious.)
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
Go on......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
Not familiar with the case.
I assume the pancake reference is 'as flat as a pancake', yes?

USS Liberty, attacked and sank by the IDF. 34 lives lost. BS story from the Israelis about thinking they were attacking an Egyptian horse carrier or some such crap.

I'm still okay with aid but it'd be uite refreshing for the Israelis to come clean on this.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
USS Liberty, attacked and sank by the IDF. 34 lives lost. BS story from the Israelis about thinking they were attacking an Egyptian horse carrier or some such crap.

I'm still okay with aid but it'd be uite refreshing for the Israelis to come clean on this.

[pedant]The Liberty wasn't sunk. Just had a huge effing hole blown in the side and it's life-boats raked with machine gun fire. Oh, strafed by aircraft with their markings painted over too.[/pedant]

They tried very hard to make it look like Egypt was attacking the USS Liberty, and Cairo very nearly got nuked for it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »

It was not sunk. There was a 39 ft by 24 ft hole in the side, and 821 rocket and machine-gun holes. But Captain McGonagle's command single handedly kept the ship afloat and most of the crew alive, earning the Medal of Honor in the process.

The Israelis hit the ship with Mystere and Mirage-III fighter-bombers attacked with rockets, napalm, and cannon. Jammed the US Navy frequencies. They strafed the ship with 20 and 40 mm shells from torpedo boats. They hit the Liberty with a big honkin' torpedo. Machinegunned the lifeboats. And tried to land a helicopter filled with commandos. And they were essentially held at bay by one man. Dude started off with a handful of M2HB (quickly napalmed) and ended basically with a handful of small arms, fending off wave after wave of superior firepower. In the process, he was wounded, refused to give up command, and had the medics working on him on the bridge. That's right, he fought valiantly against those odds while injured and missing his pants. Truly an inspiration to us all.

We're America. We can beat your best without even getting out of a chair or putting on our trousers.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
Sorry, somehow had sank in my head, even after reading several books.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
Sorry, somehow had sank in my head, even after reading several books.

Does this look like a man who'd allow his ship to sink just because it had been hit with napalm, missiles, rockets, a torpedo, cannon and small arms? Look at the sloppy clothing, unshaven face, cup of coffee surgically attached to the hands, the missing trousers, steely gaze. Ready to tell a thousand sea stories over a mug of beer. "You kids today, you think THIS is bad? Back in MY day..."

Pride of the US Navy, by the Gods.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
The Israelis hit the ship with Mystere and Mirage-III fighter-bombers attacked with rockets, napalm, and cannon. Jammed the US Navy frequencies. They strafed the ship with 20 and 40 mm shells from torpedo boats. They hit the Liberty with a big honkin' torpedo. Machinegunned the lifeboats. And tried to land a helicopter filled with commandos.

Whaa... :O I had heard about it being strafed by machinegun fire for a few passes, but did not know the rest. Remind me again why nothing was done about that? I mean... WTF!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »
I am firmly in support of Israel's rights to proactive self-defense and self-determination. That said, the Liberty and the constant pathetic whining to get Jonathan Pollard released irk me immensely with respect to our sometimes blind, reverent support.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
I think the verdict was flawed. Her death was not accidential. It was intentional ... intentional suicide.

She CHOSE to go to Israel and meddle in affairs that were none of her business, and that she almost certainly did not fully (or even partially) understand. She CHOSE to enter a restricted zone, and she CHOSE to stand in the path of a freakin' BULLDOZER. There was nothing "accidental" about it.

Case closed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
We need to remember, there are no permanent allies, only permanent interests.  Other countries do.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

This is a Hero:

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
Taken by itself,  and all past US - Israeli history aside,  few things funnier than a dumbshit flattened for her own lack of judgement. 

One has every right in the world to burn the flag and support who they wish,  but I'll still laugh when they get pancaked for their efforts.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
While I don't necessarily want other countries killing US citizens with impunity, I really don't think our Govt should be backing and implicitly supporting US Citizens who choose to go to foreign countries and involve themselves in local politics and disputes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

This is a Hero:

He knew he was gonna die, chose to do it anyway. Admirable support for the cause from someone who was directly affected and was fed up

Corrie was a spoiled idiot who didn't think the dozer would keep going
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog