Author Topic: Rachel Corrie's Death Ruled Accidental  (Read 4896 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Rachel Corrie's Death Ruled Accidental
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »
It was not sunk. There was a 39 ft by 24 ft hole in the side, and 821 rocket and machine-gun holes. But Captain McGonagle's command single handedly kept the ship afloat and most of the crew alive, earning the Medal of Honor in the process.

The Israelis hit the ship with Mystere and Mirage-III fighter-bombers attacked with rockets, napalm, and cannon. Jammed the US Navy frequencies. They strafed the ship with 20 and 40 mm shells from torpedo boats. They hit the Liberty with a big honkin' torpedo. Machinegunned the lifeboats. And tried to land a helicopter filled with commandos. And they were essentially held at bay by one man. Dude started off with a handful of M2HB (quickly napalmed) and ended basically with a handful of small arms, fending off wave after wave of superior firepower. In the process, he was wounded, refused to give up command, and had the medics working on him on the bridge. That's right, he fought valiantly against those odds while injured and missing his pants. Truly an inspiration to us all.

We're America. We can beat your best without even getting out of a chair or putting on our trousers.

Scots are used to fighting without pants ;)

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
While I don't necessarily want other countries killing US citizens with impunity, I really don't think our Govt should be backing and implicitly supporting US Citizens who choose to go to foreign countries and involve themselves in local politics and disputes. 

Does that statement exclude members of the military and government who go overseas and involve themselves in local politics?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
Does that statement exclude members of the military and government who go overseas and involve themselves in local politics?

ZING!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 09:58:03 PM »

We're protecting ourselves by taking the fight to them.

I'll leave that up to you as to whether I'm serious or not.

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »

You seem to have overlooked the operative word: "choose"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 12:23:08 AM »
You seem to have overlooked the operative word: "choose"

Quite. Military folk choose to defend their country; not how that mission will be interpreted.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
;/ I am sure even you can understand the difference between some random tourist and someone who actually represents our government. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »
;/ I am sure even you can understand the difference between some random tourist and someone who actually represents our government. 

Gotcha - so if there's government permission to do so, this behaviour is perfectly ok. 

funny how we denounce government intervention in our own local affairs but think it's just fine as long as the .gov meddles in other nation's local affairs.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »
Gotcha - so if there's government permission to do so, this behaviour is perfectly ok.  

No, not permission. Orders. Military members don't get to choose where or why the military is deployed. That would be a step backward into military rule.

funny how we denounce government intervention in our own local affairs but think it's just fine as long as the .gov meddles in other nation's local affairs.

No, nobody said that.

Sorry, man. You just can't find the irony, or contradiction, or hypocrisy, or whatever it is you're looking for here. Better luck next time.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

Your statement pretty much said that individual soldiers "choose" to go to foreign countries and meddle in their politics. That's very different from our government choosing to meddle in other countries' politics, and ordering members of the military to go to said countries and carry out said meddling. It's not like they really have a choice. The UCMJ is very clear that soldiers are not supposed to obey unlawful orders, but they jolly well better obey any order they're not VERY certain is unlawful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
Your statement pretty much said that individual soldiers "choose" to go to foreign countries and meddle in their politics. That's very different from our government choosing to meddle in other countries' politics, and ordering members of the military to go to said countries and carry out said meddling. It's not like they really have a choice. The UCMJ is very clear that soldiers are not supposed to obey unlawful orders, but they jolly well better obey any order they're not VERY certain is unlawful.

So which is it - is meddling in the local affairs of others fine as long as its government action?  Why so much disdain in principle if it's individuals?   Would rachael corrie's death have been more objectionable if she were demonstrating in alignment with military policy, for example, protesting outside Hamas headquarters?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:45:41 PM by De Selby »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
Don't bother, Hawkmoon.  ;/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
So which is it - is meddling in the local affairs of others fine as long as its government action?  Why so much disdain in principle if it's individuals?   Would rachael corrie's death have been more objectionable if she were demonstrating in alignment with military policy, for example, protesting outside Hamas headquarters?

See if you get this:

If I send a man somewhere to risk his life, I am, to an extent, responsible for these risks.

If he goes off on his own, with no request or encouragement from me, I cannot be held responsible in any way, shape, or form.

Yes, it might be better to help that man out, but I am certainly not duty-bound to do so.

Lots of U.S. citizens are arrested and put in prison annually abroad for doing things that are not illegal in the US, or because due process in the countries they're doing it in works differently than in America. They are neither protected by the US government nor would it be feasible for the US to protect anyone who brings upon himself the wrath of a foreign government - it is only when the government is tyrannical (like Iran) that this bring out public outrage.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
I'm all for the axiom of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" but in certain circumstances, such as Iran targeting our citizens as a political reprisal, and not for actual misdeeds being committed, I'm reminded of a 2 millennia old phrase.

Civis Romanus sum.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
The bulldozer driver has said he didn't see 23-year-old Rachel Corrie, a pro-Palestinian activist who opposed the military's demolition of Palestinian homes.

So she went overseas on her own volition to oppose a foreign military.
Doesn't this make her a merc?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »

If she had stepped out in front of an 18 wheeler in the US to protest logging, I would have about the same level of remorse, all for the unfortunate driver who has to deal with running her over.  In neither case would she represent me or my country in any way whatsoever nor would I assign any fault to the driver that ran her over or the people the driver represents. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
If she had stepped out in front of an 18 wheeler in the US to protest logging, I would have about the same level of remorse, all for the unfortunate driver who has to deal with running her over.  In neither case would she represent me or my country in any way whatsoever nor would I assign any fault to the driver that ran her over or the people the driver represents. 

This.

I recall an incident where an environitwit sat on some RR tracks to block a train and got his legs cut off.  The engineer likely could not stop in time.  Likewise, my sympathy is for the engineer, not the nitwit.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
This.

I recall an incident where an environitwit sat on some RR tracks to block a train and got his legs cut off.  The engineer likely could not stop in time.  Likewise, my sympathy is for the engineer, not the nitwit.

I saw video of that. Train. Was going slow. The guy on the tracks was poster child for moron
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard of the USS Liberty.

iirc R Corrie's parents are just as idiotic as their daughter, I'm glad they lost.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »
So she went overseas on her own volition to oppose a foreign military.
Doesn't this make her a merc?

Nope, not quite, just a revolutionary rebel, like those fellows that are always on CNN, you know the ones belonging to ex Al Qaeda factions that are currently fighting the Syrian Government and receive NATO, Saudi and Qatari support. What are they called again? The Free Syrian Army?

They were upgraded from terrorists to freedom fighters when they started fighting for the interests of our allies.  ;)
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
Nope, not quite, just a revolutionary rebel, like those fellows that are always on CNN, you know the ones belonging to ex Al Qaeda factions that are currently fighting the Syrian Government and receive NATO, Saudi and Qatari support. What are they called again? The Free Syrian Army?

They were upgraded from terrorists to freedom fighters when they started fighting for the interests of our allies.  ;)

I thought that the NATO money goes to some competing Syrian rebel faction?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:27 AM »
I thought that the NATO money goes to some competing Syrian rebel faction?

I doubt there is much control over where that money ultimately goes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »
Note to self............ Buy more Caterpillar stock.........
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.