Author Topic: No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts  (Read 4902 times)

Frank Castle

• friend
No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts

JOSEPHINE COUNTY, Ore. (CBS Seattle) — An Oregon woman was told by a 911 dispatcher that authorities wouldn’t be able be able to help her as her ex-boyfriend broke into her place because of budget cuts.

Oregon Public Radio reports that an unidentified woman called 911 during a weekend in August 2012 while Michael Bellah was breaking into her place. Her call was forwarded to Oregon State Police because of lay-offs at the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office only allows the department to be open Monday through Friday.

“Uh, I don’t have anybody to send out there,” the 911 dispatcher told the woman. “You know, obviously, if he comes inside the residence and assaults you, can you ask him to go away? Do you know if he’s intoxicated or anything?”

The woman told the dispatcher that Bellah previously attacked her and left her hospitalized a few weeks prior to the latest incident. The dispatcher stayed on the phone with the woman for more than 10 minutes before the sexual assault took place.

“Once again it’s unfortunate you guys don’t have any law enforcement out there,” the dispatcher said, according to Oregon Public Radio.

The woman responded: “Yeah, it doesn’t matter, if he gets in the house I’m done.”

Police say Bellah choked the woman and sexually assaulted her. He was arrested by Oregon State Police following the incident.

“There isn’t a day that goes by that we don’t have another victim,” Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilberson told Oregon Public Radio. “If you don’t pay the bill, you don’t get the service.”

The sheriff’s department had to cut 23 deputies and the entire major crimes unit after it lost a multi-million dollar federal subsidy, according to Oregon Public Radio. There are now only six deputies left.

The sheriff’s department even put out a press release warning domestic violence victims to “consider relocating to an area with adequate law enforcement services.”

Bellah pleaded guilty to kidnapping, sex abuse and assault.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/05/23/911-dispatcher-tells-woman-about-to-be-sexually-assaulted-there-are-no-cops-to-help-her-due-to-budget-cuts/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
Of course they don't mention the possiblity of preparing to defend themselves, which would be a hell of a lot cheaper then moving...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »
I think that is the same place as a thread I started about a month ago.
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=39370.msg797830#msg797830
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I thought Josephine county had one of the more pro-CCW sheriffs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
The sheriff’s department had to cut 23 deputies and the entire major crimes unit after it lost a multi-million dollar federal subsidy, according to Oregon Public Radio. There are now only six deputies left.

So, what's the downside ?   =|    :lol:

Dial 1911   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
Of course they don't mention the possiblity of preparing to defend themselves, which would be a hell of a lot cheaper then moving...

My man-crush has no problems mentioning that.
 :rofl:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/sheriff-david-clarke-calls-guns-the-great-equalizer-in-radio-ad-dc8vu6e-194241801.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »
Anyone else have a suspicion the cuts haven't affected their traffic enforcement role?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Anyone else have a suspicion the cuts haven't affected their traffic enforcement role?

The priority is always revenue collection.

That's why they are now called law enforcement instead of peace officers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »

There lies the problem.  Revenue generation versus public safety.  I think more people need to develop the mindset that they have to provide for their own self defense whether it be in their home or outside the home.  Everything is over by the time police arrive in most cases. 
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
There lies the problem.  Revenue generation versus public safety.  I think more people need to develop the mindset that they have to provide for their own self defense whether it be in their home or outside the home.  Everything is over by the time police arrive in most cases. 

All over except possibly getting victimized a second time by the police.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
On the phone:

"No police available to come out here? GREAT! That means I won't have to worry about being questioned by any cops when I blow the <expletive's> head off! I love this country!"

<click>

Bet the dispatcher would find a cop was available to respond after all . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
How much would someone like to bet that the budget for non-essential personnel wasn't cut, or wasn't cut enough to allow sheriffs deputies to remain on the job?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
How much would someone like to bet that the budget for non-essential personnel wasn't cut, or wasn't cut enough to allow sheriffs deputies to remain on the job?

It's part of the government's tactics now. Cut the meat and bone, leave the fat.

Claim that there isn't enough money CAUSE LOOK HOW WE JUST CUT TO THE BONE!

I hope people are getting wise to this. (But I don't have much hope of that.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »

i'll cover any bet you want on that

a hint?  google is your friend
http://bigstory.ap.org/content/ore-county-cutting-law-enforcement-bare-bones
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
Most of us out in my neighborhood would call each other before 911  ;)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »
i'll cover any bet you want on that

a hint?  google is your friend
http://bigstory.ap.org/content/ore-county-cutting-law-enforcement-bare-bones

CSD, all that story does is tell readers that the budget for sheriffs, prosecutors and corrections officers is being cut. It doesn't mention if the budgets for park workers, road work, traffic signs, tax collection, welfare workers, social workers, hospital cleaning staff workers, school lunch servers, or other non-law enforcement personnel have been cut. My guess is that law enforcement personnel were the first (and maybe only) workers to be downsized.

• friends
Re: Re: Re: No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
CSD, all that story does is tell readers that the budget for sheriffs, prosecutors and corrections officers is being cut. It doesn't mention if the budgets for park workers, road work, traffic signs, tax collection, welfare workers, social workers, hospital cleaning staff workers, school lunch servers, or other non-law enforcement personnel have been cut. My guess is that law enforcement personnel were the first (and maybe only) workers to be downsized.
90 folks laid off. subtract the 23 cops leaves a few

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
Re: Re: No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
http://www.oregonafscme.com/mobile/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&homeID=246569

this is a lil better
its a choice the folks made there. turned down a public safety levy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »
A union propaganda piece is the best you can do? Hey, I found a Daily Kos article saying Obama is great, that must be true!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »
http://www.oregonafscme.com/mobile/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&homeID=246569

this is a lil better
its a choice the folks made there. turned down a public safety levy

The choice was by their local government, to unwisely spend money making the levy necessary, then cut the cops instead of nonessential bullshit instead
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
First, you can cover 24/7 with 6 cops, you will just have one most of the time. 

Out of 83K people, where are the volunteers?

With no cops, I would think neighborhood groups would take action.  The Sheriff should call for them if no one else will.  I guess we are a long way from our pioneer days. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
The choice was by their local government, to unwisely spend money making the levy necessary, then cut the cops instead of nonessential bullshit instead

i suspect that 70% of the land in county being owned by feds and same feds shutting down logging played a role

which of their expenditures was unwise?

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »
First, you can cover 24/7 with 6 cops, you will just have one most of the time.  

Out of 83K people, where are the volunteers?

With no cops, I would think neighborhood groups would take action.  The Sheriff should call for them if no one else will.  I guess we are a long way from our pioneer days.  

maybe   maybe not
http://www.kdrv.com/josephine-co-to-recruit-volunteers/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/josephine-county-oregon-citizens-against-crime_n_1975029.html

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 08:46:11 PM »
and here a sarcastic piece
but the numbers are interesting
http://wonkette.com/517364/josephine-county-oregon-your-new-libertarian-paradise

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
With all the publicity, I wonder if some serial predator isn't on the way to Josephine County right now.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."