Author Topic: No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts  (Read 4903 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
With all the publicity, I wonder if some serial predator isn't on the way to Josephine County right now.

I dunno ... seems like a good place to become an object of the Triple S  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
My other question, she spent 10 minutes or more talking to a 911 dispatcher who told her right away he couldn't help.  She didn't know anyone else?  I guess she had no back door to make a run for it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »
maybe   maybe not
http://www.kdrv.com/josephine-co-to-recruit-volunteers/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/josephine-county-oregon-citizens-against-crime_n_1975029.html
It wasn't enough was it.  The 911 dispatcher wasn't calling them either so i guess no volunteers were in that area or none were willing to cover nights since no cops would do it either.  Even if it took them a while to respond, they probably would have still seen the crime in progress.  

You can cover 24/7 with 4 people with minimal overtime.  They have 2 more to cover days.  They aren't trying.  
It really brings questions to mind about those cops and their relationship with the public there. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:50:56 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
This reminds me of a strange movie preview I have seen lately.  
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2184339/

The Purge.  Not sure it is worth seeing, but just the strange idea that a period of legal lawlessness would improve things seems like the silliest thing I have ever seen. 

Sort of like that stupid short story they made us read in school where some town would stone to death one person each year and supposedly that made things okay the rest of the year.  

Maybe that is another thread. 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
First, you can cover 24/7 with 6 cops, you will just have one most of the time. 

Out of 83K people, where are the volunteers?

With no cops, I would think neighborhood groups would take action.  The Sheriff should call for them if no one else will.  I guess we are a long way from our pioneer days. 

Have Volunteer PO same as Volunteer FF. Schedule their duty times and give them the same sort of scanner/pager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »

The Purge.  Not sure it is worth seeing, but just the strange idea that a period of legal lawlessness would improve things seems like the silliest thing I have ever seen. 

Sort of like that stupid short story they made us read in school where some town would stone to death one person each year and supposedly that made things okay the rest of the year.  

Maybe that is another thread. 

You mean The Lottery, by shirley Jackson?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery

"lottery in June, crops be heavy soon"

That's one of the best stories in the history of ever!
Really disturbed me as a kid, I think it was the 4th grade or something.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »

I really doubt that was the film-maker's point. It's probably meant to portray the horrors of an America where George Zimmerman is allowed to hunt black people with guns, once a year. Guns are bad, "Stand Your Ground" is a license to kill, etc.

Stupid?  :O  You don't like stories with a twist at the end, or what? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
I like the star trek episode where the two warring planets play virtual-reality wargames, and the "casualties" voluntarily kill themselves via some humane death-chamber thing. The idea is to allow a mechanism for human propensity for warfare to be fulfilled, but save the resources that would be spent on a "real" war and also save the infrastructure damage. It' (spock eyebrow) fascinating because the idea seems so wrong, but you have to admit it's better than real war in every way.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
I like the star trek episode where the two warring planets play virtual-reality wargames, and the "casualties" voluntarily kill themselves via some humane death-chamber thing. The idea is to allow a mechanism for human propensity for warfare to be fulfilled, but save the resources that would be spent on a "real" war and also save the infrastructure damage. It' (spock eyebrow) fascinating because the idea seems so wrong, but you have to admit it's better than real war in every way.

Sadly enough, I knew the title of the episode immediately: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »
Have Volunteer PO same as Volunteer FF. Schedule their duty times and give them the same sort of scanner/pager.

Vigilance Committee  :angel:

Actually, everyone (sheriff,fire,EMS,road crews,school buses,etc) uses the same radio channels in our county except now they have an encrypted sheriff channel that only works in/near town.  They still have to use the repeaters out in the hills.

Really I have no sympathy for anyone living out in the country and not prepared to defend him/herself.  Even without budget cuts it's going to be 20 to 40 minutes before a deputy gets there.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »
I have sympathy but law enforcement is about enforcement not protection.  People need to get used to this.  But if you use the Benghazi example, calling 911 would still be effective even with a 40 minute response time.  But cops are mostly about mopping up the blood and trying to find out "who done it?".

This is also what happens when local governments depend too much on the Federal government.  When the wind blows another way, the locals are left out in the cold.  I detest the Obama method of making cuts that regular people will see versus truly cutting costs overall.  The National Parks are a good example with campground closures.  Not sure if they will be opening up all of them after Memorial Day or not.  But clearly the summer help portion will be cut back.  Those jobs are really great for young people.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 03:23:53 AM »

We have that here. Reserve officers, city and county have them, they are required to have same cert as regular officer. Basically, they get to dress up, carry a gun and play cops and revenue source just like the big boys but without pay.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 04:41:51 AM »
We have that here. Reserve officers, city and county have them, they are required to have same cert as regular officer. Basically, they get to dress up, carry a gun and play cops and revenue source just like the big boys but without pay.

Do they get national reciprocity like sworn officers?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

I actually thought about trying to do that about ten years ago, but then:

a) I'm getting too old to chase somebody down and wrassle with them

b) I could never swear to enforce the bull-sheet laws like MJ and seat belts, etc

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »

I really doubt that was the film-maker's point. It's probably meant to portray the horrors of an America where George Zimmerman is allowed to hunt black people with guns, once a year. Guns are bad, "Stand Your Ground" is a license to kill, etc.

Stupid?  :O  You don't like stories with a twist at the end, or what? ???
I guess it was the implication that such stuff is okay if it works.  Maybe that was from that liberal literature teacher. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
It is only better in every way if you accept warfare as inevitable and someone else dies.  The politicians would not be in a hurry to end it if there was little down side. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »
It is only better in every way if you accept warfare as inevitable and someone else dies.  The politicians would not be in a hurry to end it if there was little down side. 

Maybe it would go better if we did like the Roman Republic & make the politicians actually lead troops in the field....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.