Author Topic: as if you really needed a reason to avoid NY!  (Read 4896 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
as if you really needed a reason to avoid NY!
« on: November 26, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :mad: :mad:
freakin freak.
really, they gave some poor schmo a felony for traveling.
FOPA = useless.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/us/new-york-jfk-flight-guns/index.html
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: as if you really needed a reason to avoid NY!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »
Some parts of our country really are occupied territory, best to avoid them unless you have deep pockets.

On the other hand the guy does deserve some sort of punishment for what he did to the rifles.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:18:42 PM »
One of them apparently was loaded, according to the story. Of course that might just mean there was ammo in a magazine, separate from the gun. Some idiots in govt consider that a "loaded gun". Having a loaded magazine is not necessarily a crime for airline firearms transport. If i remember right, it's more of a policy with specific airlines. Some consider the magazine a proper ammunition case, others require ammo to be in the original factory box. If the rifle was truly loaded, his bad.

I'm curious about the "defaced" part. Did the paint really completely cover up the serial numbers, or did it just make them a little harder to read? In either case, they are still present.

I agree he should be cited for what he did to the rifles. Yuck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »
I believe he had his firearms cerakoted ( sp?? ) you can still read the serial number.
they're simply piling on him because he is a gun owner.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
I believe he had his firearms cerakoted ( sp?? ) you can still read the serial number.
they're simply piling on him because he is a gun owner.

That isn't Cerakote, that is spray paint from Wal-Mart. Still, bad taste isn't a crime
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
NY considers applying any paint over a serial number to be "defacing" -- even though the serial number can still be read easily.

More to the point: Where was he coming from and how did he get the guns to an airport in NY? Sounds like he was on his way back home after a visit. If he was visiting in NY, he was breaking NY state law the entire time he had the guns there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
NY considers applying any paint over a serial number to be "defacing" -- even though the serial number can still be read easily.

More to the point: Where was he coming from and how did he get the guns to an airport in NY? Sounds like he was on his way back home after a visit. If he was visiting in NY, he was breaking NY state law the entire time he had the guns there.

Or he could be like that guy a few years back that got stuck in NYC on I think a cancelled flight, had to recheck his bags, then got busted for the firearms that he was otherwise legally carrying from destination A to destination B.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
That guy lives in NY with stuff you  can't have in NY.
I don't feel bad for him.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
That guy lives in NY

Ah, I missed that part.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »

He does?

Quote from: article
Keenan Draughon of Clarksville, Tennessee, was arrested after he checked two handguns, two defaced rifles and two unloaded high-capacity magazines, according to Port Authority spokesperson Joseph Pentangelo.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 02:30:01 AM »
FOPA doesn't apply here.  The guns were illegal at the start of the trip.  Stupid sometimes hurts, and being in NYC with firearms is pretty stupid unless you're damn sure you crossed your t's and dotted your i's.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:04 AM »
FOPA doesn't apply here.  The guns were illegal at the start of the trip.  Stupid sometimes hurts, and being in NYC with firearms is pretty stupid unless you're damn sure you crossed your t's and dotted your i's.

Thank you for saving me from having to say that.

By now one would think that anybody trvelling with firearms would know the pitfalls of transiting NY & NJ, let alone interrupting their journey to partake of some sightseeing there.  As for those that intend to make NY/NJ their destination, I say that they ought to deserve what they get - except that the percentage of folks travelling with firearms who are a) aware of how FOPA works and b) aware of how NY & NJ disregard FOPA remains abysmally small even when stories like this circulate and recirculate.  And for those reasons I cannot in good consience say they deserve what they get.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 07:03:45 AM »
I don't feel bad for him.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »
I love how some of you think this guy got what he deserved, but also think the government goes too far with firearm regulations.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 08:04:28 AM »
I love how some of you think this guy got what he deserved, but also think the government goes too far with firearm regulations.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »
It reads, "...the right to keep and bear serial-numbered arms shall not be infringed."

Hey.  Whatsamatta wit' youse guys?  Dincha get no schoolhausen in school?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Yes they are.  If one thinks the law is unconstitutional/stupid/whatever, then one should think the guy is getting screwed.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 08:38:03 AM »
Yes they are.  If one thinks the law is unconstitutional/stupid/whatever, then one should think the guy is getting screwed.

The law may or may not be unconstitutional (probably is) and is definitely stupid.  However it's also widely publicized, easy to find and pretty much common knowledge that guns are highly restricted in NYC.  So the guy is an idiot for not bothering to even figure out if his actions were legal.  Stupid games/stupid prizes.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »
Guns are the incorrect weapon to use against NY anyways.  Just don't go there.  Use the economic weapons at your disposal.

Screw FOPA, screw NY, screw NJ.

I feel bad for anyone who is prosecuted for a victimless crime. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »
The law may or may not be unconstitutional (probably is) and is definitely stupid.  However it's also widely publicized, easy to find and pretty much common knowledge that guns are highly restricted in NYC.  So the guy is an idiot for not bothering to even figure out if his actions were legal.  Stupid games/stupid prizes.

So stupidity can and should carry a criminal penalty, even if no material harm results from the actions?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »

My favorite quote:

Pentangelo told CNN about the case. "Luckily, no one got hurt." (my emphasis)

Yeah, they really came close that time, that (evil) gun might have jumped up and killed everybody . . .

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
So stupidity can and should carry a criminal penalty, even if no material harm results from the actions?

Sigh.  No that's not what I said.  I said he was stupid.  He also broke a law.  Guess which has a criminal penalty?  Just because a law is stupid does not mean one can break it with no consequences.  If the consequences of breaking the stupid law are well known and severe, breaking the law is stupid, regardless of the law's stupidity.  Why is this difficult to understand?

Are we now publicly advocating breaking every gun law we think is wrong-headed or dumb?  The NFA is probably unconstitutional.  It restricts the very military grade small arms that the 2nd amendment was written to encompass but I think we can all agree that it would be stupid to go around making machine guns.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
I feel bad for anyone who is prosecuted for a victimless crime. 

But those folks are the safest to arrest and often have sweet swag to seize.  
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
so, who gets his guns (swag) now that he is a fellon?   also, i had no idea that to possess long guns you need a permit in the city.   
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
Perhaps my give a damn is broken from the sheer number of stories like this, or going through NJ or DC with a mag or ammo.  In my mind these guys are just as dumb as those American Hikers that strayed into Iran* and got arrested.  Shitty regimes have shitty laws. Break them at your peril.

*No, that's not hyperbole. I really did just compare the govs of NYC and Iran.  I think it's a valid comparison.