Author Topic: Texas rep says stand back when videoing cops  (Read 4893 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Texas rep says stand back when videoing cops
« on: March 14, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Bill-restricting-rights-of-citizens-to-videotape-6130903.phpk

House Bill 2918
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/pdf/HB02918I.pdf

Google Real Time coverage 29 Articles ATM
https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl=dd5BwJADmafBuIMBp6rBiyX8lhz1M

Stand back when videoing cops.  Stand waay back when videoing cops if you are armed.

:facepalm:

Wonder what would would happen if they made candidates pass a basic civics test before having their name put on the ballot?

My Saturday-morning breakfast group stopped at 9 federal laws he violated just by proposing the bill.  I'd guess that at least some of them are replicated in Texas laws.

stay safe.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:04:19 PM by vaskidmark »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Texas rep says stand back when videoing cops
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »
All 3 of those links don't work. Odd
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »
Links should work now.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »
Nothing to see here. Just more of that "rift healing".
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »
If I were filming cops doing "something" I know I wouldn't want to get too close to the action - I mean, you really, really don't want to get in their way. But I've heard that cops have arrested people for filming from their own property or even from across the street.  :facepalm:

As for this Texas congresscritter, the local paper said his proposal is that bloggers must stand back - official news reporters would be exempt from his restrictions.

Hmmm . . . maybe reporting by official news reporters is more easily controlled?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »
As for this Texas congresscritter, the local paper said his proposal is that bloggers must stand back - official news reporters would be exempt from his restrictions.

Hmmm . . . maybe reporting by official news reporters is more easily controlled?

So I'm neither a blogger nor an "official news reporter." Where does that leave me?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »
So I'm neither a blogger nor an "official news reporter." Where does that leave me?

With either the hoi or the poloi.  Hard to tell from a distance.

stay safe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »
We have reached the point where the people are afraid of their governments, and the government has no fear of the people. Isn't something supposed to happen?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 05:57:16 PM »
We have reached the point where the people are afraid of their governments, and the government has no fear of the people. Isn't something supposed to happen?

They'd better hope not. Regardless of who "they" is in this case, really - it would end up badly for both the government and the people either way.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »

We've gone beyond "no fear" to outright contempt.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
Okay, I don't like the bill.  I don't think it is necessary.  It is certainly silly to separate out armed people or "official" press.  A better way to approach it (if it is a real problem) is to better define what "interfering with the police" means.  That might at least keep cops from going after people who are already at a discreet distance. 

On the premise of the bill: 
25 feet isn't that far at all.  People taking video of police really ought to be that far away just to be out of the way.  Most cameras these days get video quality plenty good enough to not require tight close ups.  Just how close are people currently getting to the police when they video them? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
On the premise of the bill: 
25 feet isn't that far at all.  People taking video of police really ought to be that far away just to be out of the way.  Most cameras these days get video quality plenty good enough to not require tight close ups.  Just how close are people currently getting to the police when they video them?

It would effectively prevent anyone somewhat involved in the situation from recording.  For example, a passenger during a traffic stop.  It also has no provision for situations where it would be unrealistic to claim the person recording is in the way, such as on the other side of a window or on a balcony above the incident.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 03:45:08 PM »
Nothing to see here. Just more of that "rift healing".

Oh ffs, one cop said one thing one time about trying to improve relations between the police and the public and now anytime anyone anywhere does something stupid you bring that up. It's getting annoying.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »
I hadn't read the bill.  It is more stupid than I realized.  I don't think he put any thought whatsoever into this.  

- No exception for people involved in the incident.  I couldn't even take pictures of my vehicle when an officer is there investigating an accident.  
- IMO, a somewhat strict definition of news media.  Apparently news media can get right in the officer's face, but no one else can.
- Apparently illegally carrying a gun can still be done taking video at 30 feet.  I may be wrong on that legal reference.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Oh ffs, one cop said one thing one time about trying to improve relations between the police and the public and now anytime anyone anywhere does something stupid you bring that up. It's getting annoying.
And as we have said before, the problem is largely with the politicians including this one. 

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 12:28:42 AM »
Listening to the local radio show this morning, a caller ID'ing himself as a LEO said it's for officer safety.

IMO, it's more stifling of our freedom.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 06:13:09 AM »
is to better define what "interfering with the police" means.  That might at least keep cops from going after people who are already at a discreet distance. 

I like this idea.  If possible, we should better clarify 'resisting arrest', seeing as how people have been charged with it for things like 'asking what they were being arrested for'.  Or somebody in a diabetic coma 'not following orders'.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
Listening to the local radio show this morning, a caller ID'ing himself as a LEO said it's for officer safety.

Yeah, the radiation emanating from video cameras can have a cumulative, harmful effect on the human body.  ;/

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
I like this idea.  If possible, we should better clarify 'resisting arrest', seeing as how people have been charged with it for things like 'asking what they were being arrested for'.  Or somebody in a diabetic coma 'not following orders'.

Or the one we had here right after Tasers came out, where an city cop tried to zap a deaf guy for not following orders, because he was facing away from them, digging a hole with a shovel. (IIRC, it was just supposed to be a quick check on the guy digging a hole in his yard at 5AM - turned out his cat had died overnight and he was burying it before his wife woke up.) What got the cop was the "tried" part, given that he was out of range at nearly 50 feet away from a guy with a "weapon" that had maybe a 6 foot range, wasn't advancing on him, and obviously (to four witnesses including an off duty deputy) had no clue the officer was even there.  Most of the stink came from said (6'4" and built a bit like a Brahma bull) deputy identifying himself, stuffing the relatively new cop back into the car and keeping him there until less panicky backup showed up.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »

Well. I've been schooled. Feel free the add me to your ignore list.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »
Well. I've been schooled. Feel free the add me to your ignore list.

;/

You're a little bit of a drama queen aren't you?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
Yeah, the radiation emanating from video cameras can have a cumulative, harmful effect on the human body.  ;/
To me, the officer safety is often an excuse.  Politicians have a hard time arguing against "officer safety" issues.  It can be a legitimate argument, but needs explanation.

On the bad side of the spectrum, I can see some a-hole walking up to an arrest in progress and trying to film on a phone or small camera from 18 inches away.  IMO, that is a situation where a cop could legitimately claim either interference or "safety" as the officer now has to worry if this idiot is going to get in the way, deliberately interfere, or become a victim of a violent suspect.  That is why I was speculating that 25 feet is really not that far away if you are just trying to protect rights or document event.  At some point, I think some distance will end up being set.  However, there needs to only apply to people with no involvement and there need to be protections for people filming at a discreet distance from police harrassment.  Also, there are a wide variety of recording methods.  A person with a pen camera in their shirt pocket; should they be forced to leave or turn it off just because of this law? 

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 06:50:11 PM »
My take, in general:  If the camera is catching officers telling everybody to stand back, to back the hell up, etc...  Then the camera crew should be doing so as well.  Including if they're professionals, because if they're pros the zooms on their cameras should be more than up to the task of recording something at 25-50' away.

If the police choose to interact with somebody, and NOT moving them away, said person is entitled to record at the distance that the officer chooses to interact with them at. 

If somebody is obnoxious about moving away when the police tell them to do so, then perhaps they should maybe catch some trouble, whether they're video recording or not.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »
To me, the officer safety is often an excuse.  Politicians have a hard time arguing against "officer safety" issues.  It can be a legitimate argument, but needs explanation.

Same here.  "We want this law/regulation, and it's for our safety, you don't want us to not go home at night, do you?"