Author Topic: Circular logic. ROFL  (Read 2338 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Circular logic. ROFL
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
In a discussion on Fark about California's proposed new "assault weapons ban" which includes any rifle with a detachable magazine, one of the antis first posted that "limiting the guns in civilian circulation would prevent criminals from getting them."

When asked why, then, do police need weapons, he said it was to "protect themselves and the populace from criminals who might get guns through other avenues."

It's almost as if.... we've already thought of that, and come to the conclusion that because of the ingenuity of criminals, bans are ineffective! Inconceivable!

One other anti raised an interesting idea, from a thought experiment standpoint more than practicality. He suggested allowing private ownership of military "assault weapons," including machine guns, and banning handgun ownership.

Although it's an idiotic idea, it raised an interesting thought in my head. Would I care so much about a handgun if I was allowed to open carry a real, burst firing M4 throughout my day to day life?

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re: Circular logic. ROFL
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
Note: i know that any such "compromise" would eventually turn into a complete ban because of the antis creeping incrementalism. But it's fun to think about.

If you could carry only an automatic rifle, and not a handgun, would you feel better or worse protected?
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
A handgun is a lot more practical to carry  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
Quote from: Fitz
One other anti raised an interesting idea, from a thought experiment standpoint more than practicality. He suggested allowing private ownership of military "assault weapons," including machine guns, and banning handgun ownership.

Although it's an idiotic idea, it raised an interesting thought in my head. Would I care so much about a handgun if I was allowed to open carry a real, burst firing M4 throughout my day to day life?

No thanks. I've carried an AR all day, for days at a stretch. I suppose you have, too. Do not want.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »

I'll take both.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
I'll take both.

Me too

Part of me thinks we should adopt the anti tactic of creeping incrementalism.

"Ok, we'll give up 'xxx' in exchange for 'yyy'"

Then later, legislate away the restriction on xxx
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
What if the handgun is a machine gun? :angel:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »

I would carry a Stechkin. It might be a mite cumbersome, but not terribly more so than any other full size handgun.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »

Can I haz Beretta 93r?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »
Yes, handguns are convenient.  And often full-on military style shoulder-fired automatic weapons are a bit too much for the circumstances.

But if it comes down to A or B (no other choice) I'm thinking that since The Powers That Be are going to opt for the long guns I ought to have something approaching parity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »

But if it comes down to A or B (no other choice) I'm thinking that since The Powers That Be are going to opt for the long guns I ought to have something approaching parity.

Parity would mean howitzers, tanks, AA battery, and GE miniguns. Think big!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
Part of me thinks we should adopt the anti tactic of creeping incrementalism.

"Ok, we'll give up 'xxx' in exchange for 'yyy'"

Then later, legislate away the restriction on xxx
Compromise doesn't work very well.  It's harder to win back rights than prevent them from being lost in the first place.

Plus, antis don't really compromise.  They ask for "just a little bit more" each time and are interested in giving little or nothing in return.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 01:13:58 AM »
Yes, but the point is we, or by "we" I mean our pro-RKBA pol's with some stones need to throw "what do we get in return?" whenever an anti-gunner spouts off about "compromise".

This would at least do some damage control with drilling the meme into the brains of the unwashed masses of fence-sitters that we and the NRA and whoever else is "refusing to compromise", and at least take away the "compromise gambit" from the anti's.
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:11:21 AM »
Yes, but the point is we, or by "we" I mean our pro-RKBA pol's with some stones need to throw "what do we get in return?" whenever an anti-gunner spouts off about "compromise".

This would at least do some damage control with drilling the meme into the brains of the unwashed masses of fence-sitters that we and the NRA and whoever else is "refusing to compromise", and at least take away the "compromise gambit" from the anti's.
"You get to help save the lives of innocent women/children/whomevers from the next tragedy that will be prevented when you pass our Eliminating Violent Instruments Law."
I get what you're saying, but the rhetoric on the other side is that the proposed legislation is Reasonable, Rational, and Necessary, and anyone who wants to compromise on such a wonderful law must be unreasonable or irrational.  They get the best of both worlds.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
We could accept a ban on plastic gun barrels in return for full auto  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
We could accept a ban on plastic gun barrels in return for full auto  :angel:

There's a thought

"Sure, criminalize 3d gun printing... but in return, reopen the MG registry"

Knowing full well that actually prosecuting 3d printing of guns is an impossible thing.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
There's a thought

"Sure, criminalize 3d gun printing... but in return, reopen the MG registry"

Knowing full well that actually prosecuting 3d printing of guns is an impossible thing.

Better yet, criminalize "illegal 3D gun printing" (ie nothing that doesn't already violate the law) in return for reopening the MG registry.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
We accept a full ban on porcelain pistols, level action rifles, and any gun with the thing that goes up. In return, repeal all of GCA and NFA.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.