Author Topic: Gay Marriage hurts the most vulnerable  (Read 6426 times)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Gay Marriage hurts the most vulnerable
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »
Actually, it was a matter of individuals finding data that goes against their pre-conceived notions.

It's an absurd standard. Do you only believe pro-gun statistics if they come from gun grabbers?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
IIRC, one of the most touted (by pro gun folks) studies ever done, was started to prove an anti stance. I just can't remember of it was Kleck or Lott...

Personally, I don't think "gay" or "straight" should be considered. Know far too many gay folks I'd trust with my child, fortune, and honor. And just as many straights that I would assume needed to be shot if I saw them near a child
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »
It's an absurd standard. Do you only believe pro-gun statistics if they come from gun grabbers?

Ah, I see. I was not being clear.

Of course I am going to accept the data from someone like the NRA or FRC. Those who are opposed to them will not, though.

I was inartfully try to say that the strongest case is made by those who are out to disprove something finding it to be true. (Or vice-versa.)

And, that too much "research" today is politicized, making it suspect. And, yes, we are starting to get "Republican" facts and "Democrat" facts.

For example, the much cited research that "Immigrants are actually more law abiding than citizens!" which the left likes to tout.

When you dig into the study, it, of course, conflated both legal and illegal immigrants AND it compared them only to citizens of the same ethnic background.

So, what the study said is that native-born hispanics (and Asians and Africans and Europeans)are less law abiding than foreign born ones. Of course, many of these demographics (the ones that make up the majority of immigration) have higher rates of criminality than the national average, but that would mess up the narrative, so we'll make the "IMMIGRANTS ARE MORE LAW ABIDING!" the headline.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »
Personally, I don't think "gay" or "straight" should be considered. Know far too many gay folks I'd trust with my child, fortune, and honor. And just as many straights that I would assume needed to be shot if I saw them near a child
I agree that there are other, more important factors at play.

The most significant issue I see with a gay couple raising a child was intimated by Ron earlier.  Namely that fathers and mothers serve very different, but equally important roles in raising children, and it is not a trivial thing to provide for the missing role.  That isn't to say it is insurmountable, but it definitely isn't an easy or natural thing.

If I were deciding for my own children in the event of my wife and I both dying, I would not entirely rule out a homosexual couple that was otherwise well suited to the task, but it would not be my first choice.  Same with a single person.  The only thing that would possibly weight in favor of a homosexual couple or single person would be a strong, established relationship between my kid and the potential parent(s).

That's not because I don't like gay people or single people, but because I really, really care about my kids, and I want the very best outcome for them.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2018, 12:18:31 AM »

For example, the much cited research that "Immigrants are actually more law abiding than citizens!" which the left likes to tout.

When you dig into the study, it, of course, conflated both legal and illegal immigrants AND it compared them only to citizens of the same ethnic background.

So, what the study said is that native-born hispanics (and Asians and Africans and Europeans)are less law abiding than foreign born ones. Of course, many of these demographics (the ones that make up the majority of immigration) have higher rates of criminality than the national average, but that would mess up the narrative, so we'll make the "IMMIGRANTS ARE MORE LAW ABIDING!" the headline.

Is there a good article on this?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic