Author Topic: I hate thieves!  (Read 1104 times)

Unisaw

• friend
I hate thieves!
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
I was recently in Vancouver, BC and had my car broken into during the night.  It is a VW Passat.  Nothing was taken except for a pair of sunglasses and the owner's manual.  The thief broke in by breaking the driver's side lock.

Those of you who have been through this before: where do I take my car to get the lock fixed, my VW dealer or a locksmith?

I hate thieves!  angry
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: I hate thieves!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »
Well, I do the combination of salvage yard and locksmith (for new keys), but I've torn doors down before ($25 for glass vs. $300 for glass, I'll spend an hour taking things apart...)

Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »
Depends on whether the locksmith keeps a unit in stock.  Some automotive locks are horribly expensive.  Some not so.  Plus, I think the call for Volkswagen Passat locksets is probably pretty limited.

I'd call a couple locksmiths and see what they can do, but my gut feeling is they are going to send you back to the dealership.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
How'd they break the lock? I know a screwdriver smacked into the key slot will crack open trunk locks; guess I thought door locks would be more difficult.

Sorry to hear this. [liberal voice]Just remember the poor baby who did it is the real victim.[/LV]
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
where do I take my car to get the lock fixed, my VW dealer or a locksmith?

Look in the owner's manual - that should tell you  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:13 PM »
Tallpine -- LOL.  I thought it was strange that the scumbag took the owner's manual, but I guess there's a market for such things.

I can't tell exactly how they broke the lock but, if I had to guess, I would say they punched it with a large screwdriver or a chisel.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »
Hate to say it but you'll likely end up at the stealership.  VWs are packed with quirky, expensive parts.  Good luck.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
Car thieves are nuts.

When I lived in california, I had my car broken into about 7 times.

The last time, they stole a lint roller.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
Thieves in San Diego once stole the Craig cassette deck by pulling it out of the slide mount that wasn't mounted to anything and took just the deck, which was useless without the slide mount.  laugh

Wait, it wasn't that funny back then, I was still out a nice casstte deck. The only damn time I didn't lock it in the trunk too.  angry
Avoid cliches like the plague!