Author Topic: Sad Day  (Read 3115 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Sad Day
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:01:20 AM »
My oldest dog, an 8-year old Bernese Mountain Dog, died unexpectedly this morning. He was enjoying his post-breakfast snooze in the hallway when I left this morning at 7:40 (he sat up to let me pass by and seemed normal and happy), but my daughter found him dead in basically the same spot at 8:40.  Our younger Berner was laying close to him and my son's cat was sitting near his head.  It appears that he just died while he was taking a nap.  I rushed home and all three of us spent some time with him before we took him to the vet for necropsy and cremation.  Berners don't ordinarily live long, but it was still a shock.  In the span of three hours, we went from having a happy dog to leaving his body off at the vet for cremation.  Anyway, we feel lucky to have had him in our lives for 8 years but I feel like my right arm has been cut off.

It's great to have dogs, but it sure does hurt when they die.  sad
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Sad Day
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:59 AM »
i'm sorry for your loss.

the hardest part about dogs is they just don't last so long. i like to think it makes us appreciate them more while we have them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:06:11 AM »
I'm so sorry.  Big dogs especially just don't live long enough.  It's a good death, but an awful lot for you guys to process at once.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
Oh crap, I am so very sorry.

I lost both of my girls last year, about 5 months apart, with my Dad right in the middle.

When Nikky died in my arms in June I truly felt reality and sanity slip a couple of notches.

The best we can do for them is to love them while we have them and miss them when they go on ahead.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »
I'm so sorry.

We just hit the one year for one of my girls.....I actually find loosing a dog harder than losing people....
One day at a time.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your loss Sad.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
Sorry for your loss, Unisaw; my old sister has kept Berners for years: they're nice, loving BIG dogs.

Gunner II is having a hard time walking the pawprints of his namesake. In my mind I keep comparing things he does to the original good Lab.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »
I am sorry for your loss, but a bit jealous of the way it happened. 

I've had to put down two dogs so far, and that last car ride to the vet is pure agony.  Definitely among the hardest things I've ever had to do.   sad

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 01:19:25 PM »
I hear you, DD.  I talked with the vet.  My dog had an atrial hemangiosarcoma -- basically, a fast-growing, very aggressive cancerous tumor in his heart.  The tumor ruptured and bled into his pericardium, the sac around the heart, until the heart went into cardiac arrest.  She said that he probably just felt tired and laid down.  If it had been detected earlier, treatment would have involved surgery and chemo that would have extended his life only a few months.

Maybe we should all hope to die at home in such a peaceful manner.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »
I lost my sweet Ruger to a massive liver tumor last January.

13 months before that her spleen had ruptured and she almost bled out. The doctors originally thought it was a liver tumor, but when they opened her up her up her liver was perfect, and the splenic tumor was benign.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »
I am sorry for your loss, but a bit jealous of the way it happened. 

I've had to put down two dogs so far, and that last car ride to the vet is pure agony.  Definitely among the hardest things I've ever had to do.   sad

Amen to that.  Zoe's arthritis has gotten worse in the last couple of weeks.  I got some Deramaxx from the vet.  If that doesn't work, I think I might have to make that drive again.  I really do not look forward to that.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
Unisaw: sorry for your loss .man.

Ex-MH: yeah!

DD: Have you tried Rimadyl?? Did wonders for my Lad, alone with some weight loss (green bean diet)

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »
Unisaw, sorry for your loss.  I lost my Bassett last year while over here in Iraq.  Talk about tough.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

crashresidue

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 11:44:36 PM »
Cheers,

Lost "my old dog" almost 15 years ago - STILL mourn that grand old man!

As bad as it sounds, I'd rather loose people than a dog!  There's something about loosing a "friend, brother, non-judgemental life sharer" that just crushes you when they pass!  It leaves a BIG hole!!!

How does the song go - "Hold me when I'm here, Love me when I'm gone" - yea, that pretty much tells it all.

Genlte winds to your friend, and blessings to you,
cr
He who laughs last - is usually dumbest

mike

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 01:58:58 AM »
Sorry for your loss. Been there done that. sad It's tough on everybody that loves dogs or any animal for that matter.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 02:27:48 AM »
No matter how much time were blessed with them, it never seems long enough when it ends.
My condolences to you and yours.

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 02:34:30 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my boy three weeks ago and i still feel like part of me has died also. He was the best friend I ever had.