Author Topic: ABC News Found Lying About Guns  (Read 1832 times)

Unisaw

• friend
ABC News Found Lying About Guns
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »
The following item was on the American Thinker website:

ABC News Found Lying about Guns...Again
Rick Moran
Bob Owens of Confederate Yankee has another case of agenda-driven media coverage. This time, it's ABC's Brian Ross and a story they did about Mexican drug gangs getting a hold of American firearms at gun shows and other venues that are perfectly legal but that Ross and ABC see fit to "prove" what a bad thing the Second Amendment is:

U.S. gun stores and gun shows are the source of more than 90 percent of the weapons being used by Mexico's ruthless drug cartels, according to U.S. and Mexican law enforcement officials.

"It's a war going on in Mexico, and these types of firearms are the weapons of war for them," said Bill Newell, the special agent in charge of the Phoenix field division of the ATF, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which has primary law enforcement jurisdiction for investigating gun trafficking to Mexico.
Owens takes aim at some of the falsehoods in the story and hits the bullseye:

ABC News falsified the following information:

that "Assault weapons made in China and Eastern Europe, resembling the AK-47, have become widely and cheaply available" as a result of the expiration of the 1994 Crime Bill. These firearms were available before 1994, were legally imported, legally sold, and legally owned (with only cosmetic changes and ready availability) during the ten-year life of the bill.

that "the Bush administration refused to extend a ban on such weapons in 2004." There was never a functioning "ban" on such weapons (see bullet point above), and President Bush had clearly indicated that he wold have sign such a bill if it had come to his desk.

that a Belgian-made pistol, the FN Five-seveN (their punctuation, not mine) is "cop-killer" that "can fire a high-powered round used in a rifle." The pistol uses a personal defense pistol-class cartridge designed for submachine guns, PDWs, and pistols, NOT a rifle cartridge bu any stretch. The cartridge, the 5.7x28mm, is no more armor piercing than many common pistol cartridges, and is only truly armor piercing when using specific bullets restricted by the ATF to police and military sales. NOTE: The ATF agent is to blame for at least part of this point, but Ross and ABC News apparently made no attempt to verify the erroneous information they'd been told.

ABC News grossly exaggerated the story by displaying misleading photos, including the following:

In a story presumably about civilian firearms being used by Mexican drug cartels, the opening photo showed a military machine gun (M60) unavailable for civilian purchase.

In another photo accompanying the story, they displayed machine guns, grenade launchers, and approximately 20 40mm grenades, weaponry than cannot be owned by U.S. civilians. I'd speculate that like the M60, these weapons were likely sold by the Mexican military to the cartels.
This is embarrassing. So many errors are either a sign of laziness or stupidity. In ABC's case, there is also, as Bob points out, the question of their anti-Second Amendment agenda driving the story.

We all breathlessly await ABC's corrections to the story that I'm sure will be forthcoming - not.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: ABC News Found Lying About Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:32:29 AM »
Why in the world would they bother coming into the US to buy one at a time, when corrupt Mexican officials will sell them military goods for next to nothing, or look the other way while entire shiploads come in from South America?

We already know the Mexican drug cartels use full-autos on their silencing raids. They sure didn't get those in the US!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:18:37 AM »
. . . This is embarrassing. So many errors are either a sign of laziness or stupidity. In ABC's case, there is also, as Bob points out, the question of their anti-Second Amendment agenda driving the story.
I vote for agenda-driven falsification.

Like when Tom Brokaw over at NBC was talking about the then-proposed ban on semi-automatic firearms, while the video shown was of a machine gun being fired.

Brokaw & Company were corrected by many letters from irate viewers, including people at the NRA. They acknowledged the error, but declined to issue a correction.

Then they did it again. Repeatedly. Giving the bird to their critics and - incidentally - the truth.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:32:25 AM »
Apparently, their 'investigative reporting' required no more than a phone call to the Brady bunch.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »
ABC News Found Lying About Guns

No ?? Really ?!?!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
I forget what station it was, but one of them pointed to the fact that you could buy GRENADE LAUNCHERS at these gun shows, and the cartels wanted that!!!!

Aside from the fact that the "grenade launchers" turned out to be Yugo 59/66 SKS rifles, where would one find live commie rifle grenades in the US, I'd wonder?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
I'd love to see them Messican bastards load up on inert 37mm practice rnds and flares...

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
I'm surprised the Mexicans can get any AK-47s at gun shows, since the Taliban has been buying them all up and taking them back to Afghanistan.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »
This is my one chance to get Maned for something.
Aside from the fact that the "grenade launchers" turned out to be Yugo 59/66 SKS rifles, where would one find live commie rifle grenades in the US, I'd wonder?
The grenade launcher on the Yugo SKS is actually sized to the NATO specs and will fire any NATO rifle grenade. So a rifle grenade for an M1 or M14 will fit.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:39:07 PM »
This is my one chance to get Maned for something.

One chance?  The rest of us snipe him pretty regularly.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
Haven't missed my television for a twenty-seventeenth of an eensy bit of a nanosecond. Doubt I ever will.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
In other breaking news, the sun rose in the east today.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.