Author Topic: Weirdest Olympic Events  (Read 6012 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Weirdest Olympic Events
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/48695-the-top-five-weirdest-olympic-events#

The Olympics is the biggest and best sporting event in the world. It has showcased, and continues to showcase, a range of events. In this article I will countdown some of the weirdest events that have ever graced the Olympic Games.

5. 3000m Steeplechase (1896 - present)

To me, this event just looks random. It seems that someone was short of Olympic events so took the 3,000 metres and threw a hurdle every 200m or so! To add to that, they put water behind one of the barriers!

I wonder if anyone grows up and says "I want to be a 3000m steeplechaser when I'm older." Somehow I doubt it. What was wrong with the normal 3000m?

4. Motor Boating (1908)

Unsurprisingly this event didn't make it past one Olympic appearance. London were the hosts for this shambles of an event, where people simply raced a motor boat against others. No athletic ability was needed.

While you may not think this sounds too bad, remember, this was in 1908, when they thought going too fast would cause your head to explode. The boats therefore never got over 20 mph.

3. Horse Long Jump (1900)

Again, this unsurprisingly only appeared at one Olympics. The concept was simply human long jump, but instead of the human part, you have horses.

I'm guessing a few of them struggled on the landing technique, and maybe got a few foot fouls. Or hoof fouls, as they case may be.

The poor horses didn't even get to go onto the podium and collect their medals!

2. Horse High Jump (1900)

Another product of the genius mind who decided to get horses to do what humans did. I don't know why he didn't choose a horse 100m, it would've been better. Still, a horse high jump competition outdoes even the horse long jump.

Again, though, the horse who could jump highest didn't even get to collect its medal. I wonder how they did qualifying for this?

1. Solo Synchronized Swimming (1992)

Yes, you read that right. The 1992 Olympic games saw Solo Synchronized Swimming as an actual registered event. Nobody seemed to tell the inventor of this that you need two people to be in sync.

Apparently the idea was that the swimmer was in sync with the music. Sorry, but solo synchronized swimming is not only the weirdest Olympic event of all time, it is the stupidest as well. By far.

Honourable mentions:

Walking

Rope Climb

Live Pigeon Shooting

Pistol Dueling

Tug of War

Some of the comments for that article are pretty funny, too!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

agricola

• friend
Re: Weirdest Olympic Events
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:34:49 AM »
That person has obviously never watched a Madison race:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_(cycling)
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:21:27 AM »
Pistol dueling or some sort of quick draw event would be neat.  Draw and shoot several targets.  I'd watch that.  Better than badminton.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:16 AM »
I want to see Olympic dwarf tossing.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:48 AM »
Horseshoes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:39:21 AM »

Don't draw their attention to track cycling.

I think we have got away with it this time, but in future please bear in mind that winning 7 of the 10 available golds is very un-British. Drawing attention to it - even more so.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:30:10 AM »
trick unicycle riding would be cool.  laugh

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »
Need a lot less beach vollyball.  Who wants to watch women, who could play linebacker for the Chicago Bears, run around is clothes that don't cover much.  NBC sure is catering to the bubba crowd with their coverage.....chris3 angry

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
Need a lot less beach vollyball.  Who wants to watch women, who could play linebacker for the Chicago Bears, run around is clothes that don't cover much.  NBC sure is catering to the bubba crowd with their coverage.....chris3 angry

what what what? Yep, these women are terrible looking:

and etc...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »
What?

Indian Club Swinging wasn't listed?

What an outrage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:07:48 AM »
Hey, rope climbing was also an olympic event in 1904, as was the gymnastics "triathelon."

Maybe we should be calling the 1904 olympics the Bizarro Olympic Games.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:55:47 AM »
Could you see PETA if there were still some of those equastrian events ??

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 12:02:07 PM »
Could you see PETA if there were still some of those equastrian events ??

Or the live pigeon shooting for that matter!
Hey, that's a reason for having it back! Causing heart attacks among PETA members! laugh

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »
Viking, I think you're on to something.  Olympic seal clubbing.  Olympic gas-guzzling.  Olympic profiteering. 

And my personal favorite:  Olympic clear-cutting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »
I actually watched Olympic trampoline last night. Unreal. A close second is rhythimic gymnastics.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »
Olympic clear-cutting

Hey, let's go!  Stihl versus Husky  grin

Actually, horseback riding is an athletic endeavor.  Try it sometime.  Sometimes you end up hurting all over from using muscles that you didn't know that you even had Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »
I figured you might like that one.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »

What are you watching?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »

I think we have got away with it this time, but in future please bear in mind that winning 7 of the 10 available golds is very un-British. Drawing attention to it - even more so.

That reminds me of something funny...

My hometown is the site of the annual Human Powered Speed Challange, wherein people try to set the world record for the fastest human powered vehicle.  One year, back when I was still in high school (about 2002-03'ish), the Brits decided they wanted the record.  So they went out and spent lots of money to engineer and build what was supposed to be the optimal human powered vehicle in terms of aerodynamics, and got one of their Olympic gold medal cyclists to power the thing.

They ended up getting their butts kicked by a Canadian with a completely hand built vehicle, whose designer doesn't even use a computer.  The Brits went about 56mph or so, with the Canadian going well over that (he currently holds the record at 81 mph).   

The BBC were even filming a documentary about it (I saw the finished version of it during one of my physics classes, whose members volunteer every year to help out with the event; unfortunately, I was unable to volunteer due a conflict with my football practice and games).  I think they were pretty disheartened after all the hoopla.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 03:33:40 AM »

I think we may have an answer in Taylor Phinney.  He should be much better come 2012.  Your Pursuit team is friggin unbelievable, though.  What they did to that world record was impressive.

I have to admit that I was extremely disappointed with the Australians this year.  They have woefully underperformed compared to their recent past.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 04:22:19 AM »

What are you watching?

You were watching the Ukraine vs. Siberia match....the view improves as the games go along.....heck, even I was pulling for the Chinese team..... Tongue
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 04:30:23 AM »
1. Solo Synchronized Swimming (1992)

Yes, you read that right. The 1992 Olympic games saw Solo Synchronized Swimming as an actual registered event. Nobody seemed to tell the inventor of this that you need two people to be in sync.

Apparently the idea was that the swimmer was in sync with the music. Sorry, but solo synchronized swimming is not only the weirdest Olympic event of all time, it is the stupidest as well. By far.
I remember that one.  It was like ice dancing for the Summer Games.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 04:31:24 AM »
Viking, I think you're on to something.  Olympic seal clubbing.  Olympic gas-guzzling.  Olympic profiteering. 

And my personal favorite:  Olympic clear-cutting.
Synchronized Strip Mining
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 04:36:18 AM »

What are you watching?

You were watching the Ukraine vs. Siberia match....the view improves as the games go along.....heck, even I was pulling for the Chinese team..... Tongue

Brazil's women actually were the best looking of the bunch. angel

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
trick unicycle riding would be cool.  laugh

You mock, but offroad unicycling is becoming popular.  They're called "munis" for "mountain unicycle".  I'm serious.  I know a guy who has one and have heard from people who've seen others offroad. 

Nothing more trick than riding a muni in terrain that would be difficult for a traditional mountain bike.

Chris