Author Topic: Historical question  (Read 1100 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Historical question
« on: September 15, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »
Question: were Viet Cong who were captured by U.S. forces treated as POWs under the Geneva Convention?  I wasn't there and honestly don't know, but am a little surprised that this hasn't come up during all of the controversy about Club Gitmo.  Am I correct in thinking that Viet Cong rarely, if ever, wore uniforms?  If anyone has personal knowledge, please share it.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Moondoggie

• friend
Historical question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:01:45 AM »
I didn't go to the RVN, but over the years I served with many who did.  One of my close friends was an interrogator with Marine Corps intel.

My understanding is that NVA/VC prisoners were mostly handled by the S. Vietnamese.  US folks would observe/participate in interrogations, but it was primarily "hands on" (with ALL that that implies) by the locals.

It wasn't pretty.  It wasn't IAW the Geneva Convention.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

HankB

• friend
Historical question
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 09:23:08 AM »
I believe there was a famous picture of a high-ranking RVN officer executing a VC prisoner by shooting him in the head with what looked like a Chief's Special . . . no Geneva Convention there. (The VC and NVA certainly did NOT treat US POWs per the Geneva Convention.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Historical question
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 09:29:28 AM »
^ that was the chief of police of Saigon, iirc.

I have that picture in my LIFE magazine photog book.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Historical question
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 09:32:22 AM »
Quote from: HankB
I believe there was a famous picture of a high-ranking RVN officer executing a VC prisoner by shooting him in the head with what looked like a Chief's Special . . . no Geneva Convention there. (The VC and NVA certainly did NOT treat US POWs per the Geneva Convention.)
Actually the story was widely distorted.  The "prisoner" in question was in fact a VC or NV spy and was responsible for the deaths of many soldiers.  Since he was out of uniform etc etc he could be killed outright according to the GC.  But the papers spun it that he was just a bloodthirsty Vietnamese.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

doczinn

• friend
Historical question
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 05:35:34 AM »
Find the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War. IN fact, here it is:

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm

Most Viet Cong, and all Iraqi insurgents, are excluded. You may say we shouldn't torture them anyway, and I'd usually agree, but to do so does not violate the Geneva Conventions.
D. R. ZINN

Unisaw

• friend
Historical question
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 10:09:13 AM »
Last night, I asked my dad.  He was in country during 1968-1969.  He recalled that Americans treated them as POWs consistent iwth the Geneva Convention.  On the other hand, he said that you didn't want to be a VC who was captured by Korean troops serving in Viet Nam.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame