Author Topic: Home entertainment message boards?  (Read 1043 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Home entertainment message boards?
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:49:14 PM »
My wife and I are renovating our house.  Does anyone know of a good message board that would help me understand our choices with respect to home entertainment and internet wiring?  We're not into the high-end home theater stuff, but want to install basic wiring before the drywall is put back up.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Home entertainment message boards?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
My wife and I are renovating our house.  Does anyone know of a good message board that would help me understand our choices with respect to home entertainment and internet wiring?  We're not into the high-end home theater stuff, but want to install basic wiring before the drywall is put back up.

http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.aspx

For your computer cabling, you'd be fine with running cat 5e.  5 isn't that much cheaper, and 6 is overkill for most home setups.  Do not skimp on your wiring, though.  Unless you have a huge house, you're not going to need an insane amount of networking cable so the cost shouldn't be too excessive.  Check your local codes for whether or not you need to use plenum cable. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

danny

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:48:02 PM »
While not required,  run conduit (metal or plastic) so that you can always upgrade the wiring as new technology becomes available.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 10:00:32 AM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bg

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
Opps.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »
avsforum.com
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:37:42 PM »
www.partsexpress.com - some of the folks install whole-house type stuff. Conduit is your friend, as is double and triple-checking before the drywall goes up.

Blog under construction

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 07:38:49 AM »
Thanks, everyone.  I'll spend some time checking out all of those sites.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame