Author Topic: Darwin award candidate  (Read 3099 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Darwin award candidate
« on: February 12, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »
Further evidence that at least some of the animal rights people are loons:

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1103AP_Belgium_Cheetah_Attack.html

Monday, February 12, 2007 · Last updated 2:50 p.m. PT

Cheetahs kill zoo-goer who entered cage

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BRUSSELS, Belgium -- An animal lover was mauled to death by cheetahs after entering their cage at a zoo in northern Belgium, authorities and zoo officials said Monday.

Karen Aerts, 37, of Antwerp, was found dead in the cage, Olmense Zoo spokesman Jan Libot said. Police said they ruled out any foul play.

Authorities believe Aerts, a regular visitor to the zoo, hid in the park late Sunday until it closed and managed to find the keys to the cheetah cage.

"Karen loved animals. Unfortunately the cheetahs betrayed her trust," Libot said.

One of the cats that killed Aerts was named Bongo, whom the woman had adopted under a special program. She paid for Bongo's food, Libot said.

Animal rights group GAIA called for the immediate closure of the zoo, located 55 miles northeast of Brussels, saying it was unsafe for both visitors and the cats.

Rudy Demotte, the Belgian minister responsible for animal welfare, sent a team to investigate.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Loucks

Re: Darwin award candidate
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 02:18:26 PM »
We don't need any more evidence to support the proposition that some animal rights people are loons. PETA is more than happy to provide whatever we need in abundance.

Anyone want to guess how many tears I'm going to shed for this idiot?

I am a bit concerned for the cheetahs, though. I certainly hope they aren't killed as a result of all this brouhaha.
non serviam

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:28:12 PM »
Violated her trust? A big cat is not a human, that can be reasoned with, nor is it a loyal and unquestioningly obedient canine.

It's a bloody Cheetah! Anybody who has pet cats can tell you that cats can be grumpy and irritable, and are liable to claw you when they feel that you deserve it. Wandering into the cage of big cats like Cheetahs, is just asking for it. shocked
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
Those cheetas did exactly what I trust them to do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 02:55:18 PM »
Those cheetas did exactly what I trust them to do.

You mean to eat the slow and feeble (minded) ?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
That would be their instinct wouldn't it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »
Karen loved animals. Unfortunately the cheetahs betrayed her trust...

Loved them? Maybe. Understood them? Not at all.

One hopes the cheetahs enjoyed a tasty meal: the woman certainly wasn't much good for anything else.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »
Animal rights group GAIA called for the immediate closure of the zoo, located 55 miles northeast of Brussels, saying it was unsafe for both visitors and the cats.

Only if an idiot breaks the law.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 04:26:29 PM »
You mean to eat the slow and feeble (minded) ?

"I know you miss the Wainrights, Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people--and that's why we have wolves and other large predators."

From my favorite Far Side cartoon, ever.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »
This thread is useless without pictures and movie clips!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 05:33:54 PM »
This thread is useless without pictures and movie clips!

The sound Bongo likely made while playing with his "new toy".

http://funnymovies.topdownloads.net/video/view.php?section=video&id=24676
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
Animal lover?

She tried to do WHAT with the kitty?

Yeech.

Where's Schrödinger's cat when you need it...

Blog under construction

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
I used to belong to the New York Herpetological Society when I was a kid and we would have our meetings in zoo's after hours.
There were a couple of people "playing" with a lion, a thick hose was hanging
from the top of the cage (about 15 ft up) and was draped on the outside.
You could yank on the hose and the cat would yank back.
The other folks went back in side being an inquisitive 12 year old I knew I would never have another chance
to play with a lion, a big African lion, a really really big and strong one.

I pulled he pulled, we did it again, I grabbed the hose really hard and....he pulled with one paw and had me 3 feet up in the air maybe higher, my feet were against the 3 ft tall barrier fence and I was dangling real close to the lion, he stuck his other paw out and extended his long (really long) claws and gently touched my stomach as I jumped back ....I looked at him really stunned at how close I came to being kitty chow
and he tugged the hose again.
I said "thank you for not killing me , but I don't like this game anymore sir"
and he rolled over.
It really looked like he was hoping for a belly rub.
A zoo at night is a lot more alive then daytime with all the people around 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

esheato

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »
Gives me chills man...

Ed

Strings

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 10:03:01 PM »
gunsmith, your story reminds me of the one zoo in Thailand. Picture a VERY small lady (5'5" maybe, possibly 75lbs), standing in an enclosure surrounded by big, male bengals. One hand has a small stick (think kubotan), the other has a cell-phone to her head. And we're watching one of the kittys stalk up behind her...

She seemed to sense SOMETHING, and turned around, fixing the bengal with a glare. Tiger slunk away as if he had planned nothing more than a pat on her butt...

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 10:41:49 PM »
I wonder how many verses of "Kum Bayah" she managed to get out?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »
^Hahaha.^

I was impressed with the Bengal Tigers that I saw at Australia Zoo. The Bengal and Amur (Siberian) Tigers are the biggest of all (apart from those rather unnatural 'Liger' cross breeds), even bigger than Lions. There were some trainers in there with them, but the trainers had been alongside these adolescent Tigers since they were born, so they could play with them. But even they knew there were limits to what you can do.

It's one thing to annoy a domestic cat, by trying to play with it when it doesn't want to play, but a 700lb Amur/Siberian? fuhgeddaboudit
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 02:00:44 AM »
Bred for its skills in magic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahfsKOhMzE
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 02:54:05 AM »
I wonder how many verses of "Kum Bayah" she managed to get out?
Ok, now THAT'S just savage... Thank you so much!  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mike

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 03:39:32 AM »
"Rudy Demotte, the Belgian minister responsible for animal welfare, sent a team to investigate."

I'm sure the cage had a sign "do not feed the animals"

They sure lock up her remains for breaking the law! rolleyes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 03:44:57 AM »
Even when bottle fed and raised by humans from birth, big cats are NOT to be trusted - as that Las Vegas showman (Roy? Siegfried?) found out the hard way.

On the other hand, cheetahs are the only big cats that have a history of successful semi-domestication; the ancient Egyptians used to train them to hunt antelope. (Clearly, these cheetahs weren't tame!!!)

If cheetahs killed a person, they must have chewed the heck out of her, as I understand cheetah claws are not sharp like those of a leopard or lion.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 04:25:01 AM »
I thought Cheetahs tend to go for the back of the neck and bit down when they catch prey.  This nut probably thought it was trying to hug her.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 09:16:56 AM »
When I was in high school, one of the teachers owned (among other interesting animals) a lion.  I didn't know it at the time, nor did I know she had brought it to school.  I was out in the hallway by myself (probably late to class), getting my books out of my locker when I felt something rub up against my leg.  I looked down and there's this little lion cub.  WTF?  It seemed nice enough and hadn't attacked me yet, so I reached down and scratched it on the head (which it seemed to like).  It followed me.  Imagine my teacher's surprise when I show up at her classroom door late, with a lion.  Apparently the teacher who owned it had been out looking for it and was not far behind me.  She got to the little fella before he mauled my class.  laugh It was still quite young, but amazingly powerful and quick.  I think it could have killed the average dog and probably a human if it wanted to.  Very cool animal, though.  I actually knew the lady who owned him and learned that he lounged around the pool at her home as a full grown adult (mane and all) before she gave him up to a zoo or something.  I have a lot of respect for big cats.
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 09:27:52 AM »
I thought Cheetahs tend to go for the back of the neck and bit down when they catch prey.  This nut probably thought it was trying to hug her.

Our cat does that to us occasionally.  He always climbs right up to my wife's shoulder before settling down in her lap.  He's a cranky sod. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife