Main Forums > The Mess Hall

25 year old frozen ham

(1/15) > >>

zxcvbob:
There's a Cure 81 ham in the bottom of my deep freezer that has been there well over 20 years.  :laugh:  Not sure if it's 25 exactly but thereabouts.  I got it free from Econo Foods for some sale they were doing.  It's still wrapped in thick cryovac plastic and looks vacuum packed (by Hormel, I didn't do anything with it) so I suspect it's not freezer-burned or otherwise oxidized.

When I want ham, which isn't very often, I like to buy bone-in hams and cook them myself -- that's why I haven't done anything with this one.  I'm wondering how to use it?  (if it's still good when I thaw it)   I assume it's fully cooked but I'll need to read the label.  

Ham too salty to use for dogfood...  Grind it up and mix 50:50 with hamburger meat to make ham meatballs?  Boil it whole and see what I get, then slice it for sandwiches, salads, etc?  Slice it and dehydrate it like jerky?  

I have no problem throwing it out if it's gone bad, but I really doubt that it has.

brimic:
Register it, and have it vote in the next election.

K Frame:
"otherwise oxidized."

Althought slowed by cold, some enzymatic process simply can't be stopped short of dry curing and thoroughly drying.

My guess is that that is NOT going to be the best voting-age ham you've ever had.

lupinus:
Well there's only one way to find out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

charby:
Just toss it in the trash

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version