Author Topic: How to Apply for a CCW License in Monterey County, CA  (Read 2078 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
How to Apply for a CCW License in Monterey County, CA
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:23:31 PM »
I thought some of you might be interested in this news article. We often talk here about the pros and cons of Federally vs State mandated CCW. One of the cons is that when choosing the baseline for national CCW, they could always choose something like this. Note that the Sheriff truly believes he's being "fair" because CCWs under previous sheriffs generally required being buddies with the sheriff or a political contribution. He'll accept an application from anyone. Anyone willing to go through this process:

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/2013/apr/25/packing-heat/?templates=desktop
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: How to Apply for a CCW License in Monterey County, CA
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »

Tis why my state set $25 as the legal maximum. It is a crime for any sheriff to charge more.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:54:39 AM »
Virginia has a flat $50 fee that breaks down as $35 to the local law enforcement to pay for the background check (apparently what the FBI charges them) and $15 for the Clerk of the Circuit Court for processing the paperwork.  A few Clerks charge less, or do not charge at all.  15 reasons you are disqualified from being given the permission slip, and none of them are subjective.  No "good character" BS, no interviewing the neighbors to get someone to say they will be askeererd if'n you start hiding your gun in your pants.

As much as I hate the humidity and heat in the summer, I like the relative freedoms I have here.  Sure it could be better, but there are lots of places where it is worse.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:32:19 AM »
I got mine in King George County, VA. I think they took $40 from me, and this was on a Wednesday. They said, "we will call you when it's ready."

They called me the following Friday, I believe

Small, rural counties For the win
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »
Relatively, I'm not nearly as worked up about the costs of a CCW in CA (for those that can get them) compared to the requirement in some counties for the psychological exam, and the interviewing of neighbors (who may or may not like you).  You're not even required to go through these hoops for a freakin' SECRET clearance with the government.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
I got mine in King George County, VA. I think they took $40 from me, and this was on a Wednesday. They said, "we will call you when it's ready."

They called me the following Friday, I believe

Small, rural counties For the win

I know I've bragged about this before, but permits here in Morgan County are $20 for a year. The time from submitting the application and photo to receiving the permit is the time required for the laminating machine to warm up. If it's already warm, then the time is less than a minute.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »
I know I've bragged about this before, but permits here in Morgan County are $20 for a year. The time from submitting the application and photo to receiving the permit is the time required for the laminating machine to warm up. If it's already warm, then the time is less than a minute.

You have to renew every year?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
Relatively, I'm not nearly as worked up about the costs of a CCW in CA (for those that can get them) compared to the requirement in some counties for the psychological exam, and the interviewing of neighbors (who may or may not like you).  You're not even required to go through these hoops for a freakin' SECRET clearance with the government.

Maybe the reason that you need the permit in the first place is because your neighbors don't like you  :facepalm:

In MT, you can CCW outside city limits and OC in town without a permit.  I still refuse to go apply to the moron county sheriff for a CWP  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
This isn't about money.

Read this tell-tale paragraph:

But Miller believes any citizen who hasn’t been convicted of a crime and who can make it through the rigorous application process and pass the background check has the right to personal protection.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »
This isn't about money.

Read this tell-tale paragraph:

Yup, that caught my attention as well.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
Psychological testing as a requirement for a carry permit?

If they're going to rely on pseudoscience that can easily be influenced by politics, why not base it on a favorable horoscope, the lines on one's palms, or a professional Tarot card reading?

Or for that matter, if "neighbors" are being interviewed to deem whether a person is fit to carry a gun, how about this: If five or more persons come forward expressing opposition to a person going about armed, that person is prohibited from carrying a gun. No exceptions for sheriffs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
Psychological testing as a requirement for a carry permit?

If they're going to rely on pseudoscience that can easily be influenced by politics, why not base it on a favorable horoscope, the lines on one's palms, or a professional Tarot card reading?

Or for that matter, if "neighbors" are being interviewed to deem whether a person is fit to carry a gun, how about this: If five or more persons come forward expressing opposition to a person going about armed, that person is prohibited from carrying a gun. No exceptions for sheriffs.

I'm sure that the no-goods that I've run off my land oppose me going about armed.  ;/

How about: if you're not in jail you can go about armed ?   :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »

Blah. Our's are $5 per year, for 5 years. My county basically does renewals on the spot. You fill out the app, they then print out the card. A good one, about the quality of a driver's license, not a flimsy laminated thing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »
Blah. Our's are $5 per year, for 5 years. My county basically does renewals on the spot. You fill out the app, they then print out the card. A good one, about the quality of a driver's license, not a flimsy laminated thing.

We get cardboard.  No picture.  Not all Clerks of the Circuit Court emboss their seal on it.  Want it laminated?  Take it to the office supply place - but remember to sign it before it gets laminated or you are going to be spending $5 for a replacement.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
How about: if you're not in jail you can go about armed ?   :cool:

And no exceptions for sheriffs.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
And no exceptions for sheriffs.

I dunno ... after watching the Dorner and Boston fiascos, I'm thinking that everyone except those with badges should carry guns.  If they cops need to arrest somebody, they can ask for volunteer citizens to help  :P

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
Reading that almost made me sick to my stomach. It's 105$ per 4 to 5 year permit here in michigan.
Look, tiny text!