Author Topic: Dear patient with an IUD  (Read 1218 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Dear patient with an IUD
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:24 PM »
Dear patient with an IUD:

Thank you for telling me all about your plans to have your IUD removed and then sue the manufacturer of the IUD.  I am unsure on the grounds for your suit since the IUD has worked well since it was installed, and you did not get pregnant, have a uterine perforation, pelvic inflammatory disease  or any of the other rare complications that do occur sometimes.  But whatevs.

I am sorry that I could not fulfill your request to keep the removed IUD in my office 'until my attorney subpoenas it'.  The 'chain' you were trying to explain is actually called the chain of custody, and I learned about it in law school, where they gave a better explanation than you did.  I really don't have the time nor inclination to store your IUD for you with the attendant liability if something happens to it. 

Instead, I gave instructions for my provider to directly transfer the extracted device from your uterus into a specimen cup, put the lid on it, seal the cup with tape, date and initial the tape across the seal and then hand the cup over to you, with a note in the chart giving the specifics of how the device was removed,  handled and transferred to you all in the same visit.  You can then hand it over to your attorney whenever you like.  My provider and I will be happy to execute a declaration for your attorney regarding our role in the chain of custody. 

No, I don't feel the need to look at your IUD; I have seen enough of them in my career.  Did I tell you that I started my legal career working on the Dalkon Shield IUD cases?  Those happened way before you were born, and I think I actually still have one somewhere in a box in the garage.  Best of luck with your case.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Dear patient with an IUD
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »
At least she went to the doctor to have it yanked. I had a *friend* who knows I am a nurse and she wanted me to pull her IUD so she could save the co-pay. I gently and politely told her no. ;)

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »
I was expecting a story about an Improvised Uteran Device.
Disappointed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:24:30 AM »
Doncha just grab the little string and yank it out?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:11:38 AM »
Doncha just grab the little string and yank it out?

Coat hanger
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 02:14:35 AM »
Did I tell you that I started my legal career working on the Dalkon Shield IUD cases?  Those happened way before you were born, and I think I actually still have one somewhere in a box in the garage.

Why do you have  . . . . nope, nope, never mind, don't want to know . . .
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 03:56:53 AM »
I have a pair of these in my toolbox. They should work once I wipe the grease and gunk off `em,,, right?

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:36:26 AM »
Why do you have  . . . . nope, nope, never mind, don't want to know . . .

It was a trial exhibit.  Unused in the original packaging.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
Coat hanger
:facepalm:  DETCORD,  man, DETCORD!!!! :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »
Cute Pinterest idea. She could use her device and that "chain" thing on a lamp or ceiling fan switch.
What we have here is failure to communicate.