Author Topic: Pastors in Idaho face jail if they refuse to perform same sex "marriages"  (Read 6559 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/9364

Remember when all the useful idiots reassured us that same sex marriage was just about hospital visitation and fairness, and that all us crazy Bible thumpers were just paranoid and no one would ever be forced to violate their beliefs? Ah well, what's a few bankrupt businesses and jailed pastors when weighed against using the state to social engineer appropriate progressive values?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:41:03 PM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Hey I am surprised they waited this long. Interestingly it's the city not some rabid lbgtq activist .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
This is my oh-so-shocked face. 

I have just learned that a teacher at one of our local elementary schools was fired last year, when she wouldn't go along with some parents' program of having their boy live as a girl. I learned this from his girl scout leader, who just had to leave her troop for the same reason.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Step 1:  Go to the local Mega-Church and demand that they perform a Jewish marriage ceremony
Step 2:  They refuse
Step 3:  Sue
Step 4:  Profit !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
This is my oh-so-shocked face.  

I have just learned that a teacher at one of our local elementary schools was fired last year, when she wouldn't go along with some parents' program of having their boy live as a girl. I learned this from his girl scout leader, who just had to leave her troop for the same reason.
Oh come on now. We can't just let folks object to child abuse, that would be downright barbaric.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
Step 1:  Go to the local Mega-Church Mosque and demand that they perform a Jewish marriage ceremony
Step 2:  They refuse
Step 3:  Sue
Step 4:  Profit !!!!

>:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
And here's one of the "useful idiots" weighing in, to agree that forcing people to violate their personal beliefs is wrong

I posted this blog entry earlier: Peter sums up my feeling better than I could. Although I still support a business owner's rights to be an ass

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2014/10/no-guys-its-not-first-amendment.html
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

I thought Preacherman was smarter than this:

Unfortunately, in the USA too many churches and religious individuals have assumed for decades - centuries! - that since public morality and our laws generally conformed to the dictates of their religious beliefs, they could impose the same restrictions on their customers in the business world.  That was never legally valid - merely a happy coincidence (for them, at any rate).  The world has changed.  Unfortunately for people of faith, that means we have to adapt ourselves to the society in which we live.  If certain religious principles are so important to us that we can't betray them at any cost, then we need to withdraw from commercial activities where those principles will bring us into conflict with the law.

Declining to marry someone, or declining to serve them in any other way, in no way constitutes a restriction or imposition on the customer.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
And here's one of the "useful idiots" weighing in, to agree that forcing people to violate their personal beliefs is wrong

I posted this blog entry earlier: Peter sums up my feeling better than I could. Although I still support a business owner's rights to be an ass

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2014/10/no-guys-its-not-first-amendment.html

When pastors are jailed because of the laws folks like you helped pass, I'm sure they'll be greatly comforted by the fact that you never intended for it to happen.

I think it's funny that "free exercise of religion" apparently means you can believe whatever you want but can't in any way put it into practice. "You're free to practice your religion! Unless, of course, you voluntarily give away your rights by getting a job or starting a business. Obviously the Constitutional protections only extend to beggars."

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
As I said: I, personally, support a business owner's right to deny services to anyone for any reason.

Personally, I would prefer the the government out of the marriage business altogether. You can find my feelings on the matter all over APS

One religion (Christianity) has held sway for US history, and the laws of the land have reflected those beliefs. Now a new religion* is taking hold, and laws are changing.

We (as a people) dealt with the issues which arised from Christianity based laws (and their excesses). We will endure through these new issues (and their excesses)

*if you don't think progressivism isn't a religion, you haven't really paid attention to it's adherents

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
As I said: I, personally, support a business owner's right to deny services to anyone for any reason.

Personally, I would prefer the the government out of the marriage business altogether. You can find my feelings on the matter all over APS

One religion (Christianity) has held sway for US history, and the laws of the land have reflected those beliefs. Now a new religion* is taking hold, and laws are changing.

We (as a people) dealt with the issues which arised from Christianity based laws (and their excesses). We will endure through these new issues (and their excesses)

*if you don't think progressivism isn't a religion, you haven't really paid attention to it's adherents

I seriously doubt we will. The new religion is working assiduously to remove all traces of the previous one.

Once they succeed (at least in driving the Church underground as it is elsewhere) they will find all the accumulated moral capital of heritage Christianity* destroyed. (It is their goal, though they do not understand nor desire the consequences of it.)  The resulting society will not be one any would choose to live in.  

* (like heritage Catholics who call themselves Catholic but don't believe what the church does)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Pastors in Idaho face jail if they refuse to perform same sex "marriages"
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 12:58:35 AM »
Ask the people in the French Revolution how removing all traces of Christianity works out.

It seems easy enough to ignore the folks who are getting thrown in jail for their religion when you aren't a member of it. That doesn't work out well either.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:49:26 AM »
I'm not ignoring it, Balog.

griz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »
The place in question, the Hitching Post, is not a church.  They offer to legally marry people for a fee, but they are not a church even though they use ordained ministers for the ceremonies.  So that makes them a business, and as such they are subject to the laws requiring them to serve anybody.

That said, I have no idea why somebody would want to get married in a place that didn’t want to marry them.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

lupinus

• friends
Re:
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 08:21:22 AM »
Sure glad it's a business and not a church.

Think I'll go to tge local Jewish deli and demand bacon. And use force of government that I be served the service I want bit they don't offer due to their religious beliefs.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
The freedom of association died a long time ago.

If you don't live in a gated community you will associate with who the government says you must associate with, period.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re:
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
Sure glad it's a business and not a church.

Think I'll go to tge local Jewish deli and demand bacon. And use force of government that I be served the service I want bit they don't offer due to their religious beliefs.

I think you would have a better legal case with ordering a corned beef on rye with Swiss cheese.

They should have both items on hand but will not mix according to Kosher rules.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• friends
Re:
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
Ok. Sex ism next time my wife drags me along for clothes shopping and they carry only women's clothes.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
I'm not ignoring it, Balog.

Ignore it, be indifferent to it, support the laws that inevitably lead to it happening but claim it was an unintended consequence....

However you want to frame it in your own mind, the results are the same.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
That slippery slope sailed with the civil rights act. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
I was in a meeting with an attorney today and she mentioned this in passing. I'm glad I'm not in Coeur d'Alene, because I'm a justice of the peace in my state, and I would not perform a same sex "wedding." When I was sworn in for me current term we had "civil unions," and it was widely anticipated that same sex marriage was waiting in the wings. I asked if I would be required to perform same, and the answer was "No."

Now, I'm not so sure. That was almost three years ago, and this is now.

What makes it an interesting conundrum for me is that, in addition to being a justice of the peace, I'm also an ordained minister. It's apparently possible under my state's laws that, if I were approached as a JP, I might have to agree to perform the "wedding" or face sanctions, whereas if I were approached as a clergyman I could defer based on religion. But (according to this attorney, who seems fairly sharp), the fact that I'm both could be used to force me to perform a civil wedding as a JP even though for reasons of faith I would not -- and could not be forced to -- perform the same marriage as a minister.

My term as a JP ends on December 31, 2016. I'm going to have to seriously consider not accepting another term of appointment if I won't be allowed to follow my conscience.

Interesting aside: Several years ago I performed a wedding for a mixed couple. Nope, not black and white. The bride is a Turkish Muslim. The groom is the son of a Jewish mother and a Unitarian Universalist minister father, and the groom himself professes to be an agnostic. But, they were marrying here in the U.S. and they wanted something that would satisfy the bride's parents and family in Turkey that they were "really" married. So guess what they chose as the model for their ceremony?

Give up?

The high Episcopal wedding mass from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer.

It actually made for a very nice wedding. They had it caught on video and sent to the family in Turkey, and by all reports the parents were duly satisfied that their daughter wasn't living in sin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:43 PM »
My sister married a jewish guy and they did a cross between a jewish wedding and a catholic one. With a lil Japanese backspin. Was nice. No one got arrested, came close but ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
That said, I have no idea why somebody would want to get married in a place that didn’t want to marry them.

I wonder if it would be legal for the pastor to spit on the floor and say crude things to the couple as he performed the ceremony?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 03:40:08 AM »
Idaho? Russet baking rice? [popcorn]