Author Topic: AR questions - with accompanying pic  (Read 22783 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Re: AR questions - with accompanying pic
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2006, 09:49:05 AM »
It's still a mystery to me as to how she managed that. I tried every rotation possible to get my magazine to go in any way but the correct one and just couldn't do it. If the magazine is somehow not to spec, that is lacking the ridge on the back it would be easy to do... dunno.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 09:58:37 AM »
Doh, I stand corrected.

I stand exhonerated.  grin
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2006, 10:02:33 AM »
Allow me to cite to noted firearms authority El Tejon, Director of Sushi Ranch, a well-known firearms  training facility:  "Never underestimate what force can do, especially to a wobbly AR mag."

Learn from this:  1)  the vast majority of police, despite what VPC sez, are not trained in firearms and not really "into" guns to gain anything from the training, 2) there are 100 ways to screw a firearm up, 3) training trumps gear.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2006, 10:18:39 AM »
I'm totally amazed myself. You'd REALLY have to use some SERIOUS force to get that in there. I didn't push it with the guy. He was a bit not really wanting to say anything but he would fess up to it being backwards. Mental note, don't mess with the female cops in Marble Falls. They be pretty strong!  shocked

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2006, 10:36:18 AM »
Does not seem like much if you are ramped up.  Have seen guys do this at gun camp.

Hey, 280, did you ask if the magazine was unloaded?  If my eyes are still as good as they once were, I think I see a follower at the "bottom" of the officer's magazine.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2006, 10:51:53 AM »
Naw, I could tell I was pretty much pushing it just calling and asking the one question and I didn't want to come off like I was busting their chops or anything so as soon as he resisted answering any more questions I dropped it and thanked him for the info. He was a bit chagrined hearing the pic was on the net. I offered to direct him to here but he declined. We're just looking at a prime example of what can happen under that kind of pressure and should view it as a learning situation. She was probably scared poopless and noone can blame her. I don't imagine it'll look too good on her resume though. Moral of the story, the most important thing you must do in any situation such as that is keep a cool head. Panic will get you nowhere, obviously. Much easier said than done I'm sure.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2006, 10:57:11 AM »
I bet it sucked trying to get that back out again.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2006, 10:59:20 AM »
Panic will get you nowhere, obviously.
Nonsense.  It can vault you to instant infamy on gunboards across the internet.   laugh

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
This must have been a recent event (280, do you have a general idea of when that event took place and when the corresponding newspaper article was printed?) because it seems to have generated a lot of interest and it doesn't seem like a lot of people have seen it, unlike the HK pistol ad with the backward-loaded mag.

In case you're wondering where I got the picture, I swiped it off of a golf forum, believe it or not.

Woohoo, I introduced (I think?) a new embarrassing, infamous firearm picture to the gun boards of the Internet! Tongue Wink Cheesy
Andy

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2006, 11:21:11 AM »
Woohoo, I introduced (I think?) a new embarrassing, infamous firearm picture to the gun boards of the Internet! Tongue Wink Cheesy
  That's not hard.  The rare part is finding one that doesn't involve oneself.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »
Has it showed up at THR yet? I THINK it was only last Saturday, I got that impression one of the times I talked to the receptionist, but that don't mean I'm right. There'd probably be a major furor over at THR if it hasn't already, but I get the feeling one of us would have seen it before. I personally wouldn't want the cops to take a beating over it. I have cops in the family, that kind of thing.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2006, 11:43:37 AM »
It has shown up at THR. I posted it in the Rifles forum at your suggestion. Wink

I personally wouldn't want the cops to take a beating over it. I have cops in the family, that kind of thing.

I understand. I didn't post the picture to make fun of the officer or the PD, and wouldn't want either the officer or the PD to "take a beating" over it just like you said. I just thought it looked unusual and was curious about it.
Andy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2006, 01:20:22 PM »
YEa, it's cool. Now to see what they're saying over there...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 01:27:26 PM »
Hmph, pretty tame responses. That's good!

smiley

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »
Doh, I stand corrected.
Me too.  I didn't think it was possible. 
It makes me have less respect for the Po-Po, though. 
I sure wish LawDog would post.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

auschip

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2006, 05:18:41 PM »
Doh, I stand corrected.
Me too.  I didn't think it was possible. 
It makes me have less respect for the Po-Po, though. 
I sure wish LawDog would post.

I would have never thought that possible (and even posted as such).  I think that mag must have been mangled beyond belief.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2006, 03:01:09 AM »
You guys have never seen this in class?  Really?  Guys get all hyperspastic and try to slap the mag in backwards and sideways and everything else.  Maybe I've trained with some real spazes then? grin

In re-reading the threads on THR and here, I'm amazed at how nice people are!  Guys were bending over backwards and seeing things that did not exist to attempt to rationalize the officer's error.  Guess that just goes to show how gun owners always look for the best in people. angel police

280plus

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2006, 04:44:14 AM »
I agree El T, I was expecting a bloodbath over there and was pleasantly surprised. I think maybe because it went into rifles instead of general had a lot to do with it. So good choice on cosine's part too.

I'm just glad that wasn't me and MY rifle.  grin

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2006, 04:54:10 AM »
Mental note, don't mess with the female cops in Marble Falls. They be pretty strong!  shocked

grin

Yeah, but stand off and engage them in rifle fire and you'll be fine.  rolleyes

rscalzo

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2006, 01:43:12 PM »
What I find strange is that the magazine is said to be in reversed and yet she has perfect trigger control?

I've never seen patrol rifles stored in vehicles without a magazine inserted so the mistake is odd. I also question that a Watch Captain would even comment on the picture to a caller unless he is making the same assumption everyone else is making here from the same photo. Who knows.....

280plus

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2006, 01:52:08 PM »
Um, no, he seemed pretty up on what the exact situation was and how it occured but he wasn't discussing it and I, being courteous, wasn't pushing it any farther. Also, if I'm talking to a police dept receptionist that says, "I'm going to put you through to the Watch Captain." And then suddenly I'm talking to someone else, wouldn't it be safe for me to assume that I'm now talking to the Watch Captain?  rolleyes

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2006, 03:01:23 PM »
I'm sure everyone in that department had the scoop on this the day after the pic hit the paper. Anyone in authority would be briefed on it if they expected to be fielding calls from press or whoever picked up on it.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2006, 11:21:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if they didn't fire her she'll be taking a lot of ribbing for a looooong time.  laugh

rscalzo

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2006, 09:55:09 AM »
I just inserted a twenty round into my M4, then taped a thirty round backwards on to it flush with the bottom of the mag well.

Guess what !! It looks just like that picture and made reloads fast as the magazines were oriented correctly.

I also could not force the mag in backwards unless I were to damage the rifle and/or magazine.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2006, 10:17:23 AM »
I just inserted a twenty round into my M4, then taped a thirty round backwards on to it flush with the bottom of the mag well.

Guess what !! It looks just like that picture

Don't mean to bust your chops, but it doesn't. Your configuration would leave the forward edge of the properly inserted mag sticking conspicuously out in front of the rear-curving mag. There is no evidence of that in the pic.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB