Author Topic: 'British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans'...  (Read 9047 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Drudge Report headlines;
GWYNETH PALTROW: 'British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans'...

May she never darken our shores again.  I wish a lot more of those hollywood citizens would join her.  Personally, I don't know why anybody would print a  stars diatribe against America anyway.

US actress Gwyneth Paltrow prefers British dinner talk
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/02/061202162419.xtnkgaet.html

Oscar-winning US actress Gwyneth Paltrow feels dinner talk is far more interesting in her adopted homeland Britain than back in her native country.
"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," she told "NS," the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias on Saturday.

"I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added.

Paltrow, who won a best actress Oscar for 1998's "Shakespeare in Love," lives in London with British band Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin whom she wed in 2003.

She said having US pop star Madonna, 48, who married British film director Guy Ritchie six years ago, nearby was another advantage to living in London.

"She's like an older sister. Everything I have gone through, she went through ten times worse and ten times longer. She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself," said Paltrow.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: 'British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans'...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:36:11 PM »
I'll bet this is the first time that Madonna's name, and the words "intelligent" and "civilized" were used in the same article.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 12:47:57 PM »
Mandonna is going to be upset with her being referred to as "older".

I bet when she says they talk about interesting things, what she really means is they talk about
things she can understand .
The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans,"
Roughly translated as "they know as much about American history and culture as I do"
I met lots of English when I lived in Ireland and they know zero about America
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:58:31 PM »
It doesnt surprise me.  The Euros are good at talking.  Not a hell of al ot of anything else but they talk good.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
Why do people confuse access to a soapbox with having something to say? 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 03:00:38 PM »
Honestly, given her STAR status, when does she ever mix with the masses in Britain?  How would she know?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 04:43:40 PM »
It doesnt surprise me.  The Euros are good at talking.  Not a hell of al ot of anything else but they talk good.

I think you forgot to mention that they all are pretty good at looking good in expensive clothing, and the French and Italians are pretty good with cooking too.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," she told "NS,"
Maybe that's why nobody else is as successful as America.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
She has so much money it is no wonder she doesn't feel the need to discuss it.  She probably has financial managers that handle everything anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 04:56:08 AM »

I think you forgot to mention that they all are pretty good at looking good in expensive clothing, and the French and Italians are pretty good with cooking too.

Sorry, you are right.  The Germans make some great cars and guns too.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 05:23:43 AM »
Ug, British people...  When I was backpacking around Europe last spring the Brits were the only people that would come up to me out of nowhere and wag their finger at me and lecture me about how "empires never last, the US is bad, Bush is terrible blah blah blah."  I'd prefer just about anyone of them.

"More intelligent and Civilized than the Americans"   ...  My A*%!

More like more obnoxious.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 06:27:45 AM »
Hating your our country?  How chic!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 06:49:59 AM »
Nah, hating other people's countries is far more in vogue around here.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

matis

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 07:20:45 AM »
"The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added."

Our average intelligence should show an improvement now that she lives in the UK instead of the US.

matis

Si vis pacem; para bellum.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 07:27:49 AM »
Suddenly I feel so much more stupid and uncivilized, I'm glad she set me straight. rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 08:18:50 AM »
Nah, hating other people's countries is far more in vogue around here.

yeah, we're not allowed to engage in the same sport of ally bashing like our euro friends do.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »
Because doing so would prove that Americans are better?

One actress gives her opinion, which no-one here seems to find favourable nor claims that they want to hear, and yet the thread that got created to discuss it degenerates into little more than an attack on those she claims to enjoy the company of. One little actress and out comes the nasty.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 09:38:52 AM »
Yes, it is all our fault. 

This is a discussion site.  If you don't like our opinion, fine.  I could care less. 
I simply pointed out that she is in no position to compare.  I doubt she mixes with the common people anymore. 

Given that British people have no legal right to self defense, I would question her assertion, but then I am sure she has body guards since she is special.

Ron

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 09:51:36 AM »
I look at the "nasty" as inter team or inter squad trash talking. We are all on the same team ostensibly so I don't get to worked up when I hear these sort of things.

Then again I have been accused of being an Anglophile and I don't get why so many enjoy Brit bashing.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
Of course she's going to think that Europeans are smarter and more civilized than we doltish Americans.  Lots of them agree with her hatred of America over there.  Around here we drag her through the mud for it.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 10:06:51 AM »
She said having US pop star Madonna, 48, who married British film director Guy Ritchie six years ago, nearby was another advantage to living in London.

How is this an advantage? Run ya dumb blond, run.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »
The interactions I've had with British expatriates and current subjects tends to support them being overall, far more polite than their American counterparts. I think they probably have the same problem we in America have, which is that the crazies are louder than the sane folks.
As for Gwyneth, I doubt this is the basis of her ideas. I do think she has a point. America is obsessed with having "more than others".
That said, I stopped caring what celebrities thought long ago.

Iain, my apologies.
Hi.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 12:24:12 PM »
As far as common courtesy and polite manners of speech are concerned, I'm sure both the decent common people and the landed upper crust in Britain are as polite and well-mannered as their counter parts here. 

But Gwyneth doesn't circle with either in the US.  She deals with upstart new money poser Hollywood types and no rural "real people" or our landed gentry.  The urban masses and those "higher class" folks who idolize thug chic are going to act and speak like louts, no matter the country.  And that's her citified milieu.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006, 01:21:57 PM »
There's no need to apologise, or be offended by what I'm saying. Was half expecting to be accused of being over sensitive, but then again perhaps you lot do get irony and so refrained.

The next time Anthony Hopkins or one of the other legion British celebrities declares that life in the US is much better and that the US citizen is cleverer/cleaner/classier than the average Brit I don't reckon I'll be offended or feel the need to tell him/her to stay there. Some here will, which leads me to wonder if one population can hope to lay claim to being classier.

I'm always a little bemused by just how much attention is paid to celebrities on the THR/APS communities. The usual anti-gun statement will provoke the odd thread and threats of boycotts, whilst the odd pro-gun or vaguely possibly just maybe pro-gun statement brings about a rash of threads, and sometimes declarations of love.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2006, 01:27:04 PM »
I'm always a little bemused by just how much attention is paid to celebrities on the THR/APS communities. The usual anti-gun statement will provoke the odd thread and threats of boycotts, whilst the odd pro-gun or vaguely possibly just maybe pro-gun statement brings about a rash of threads, and sometimes declarations of love.

Isn't it the truth?Huh?

Myself, I am happy when I find an actor whose work I appreciate "gets it" and is unafraid to say so. But not more than when I meet any other gunny.
Hi.