Author Topic: Family and politics and growing pains  (Read 4902 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Family and politics and growing pains
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:30:21 AM »
As you matured and became more interested in politics, did you one day realize that "oh my gosh, my political views are quite a bit different than those of most of my family!"

That happened to me, about two months ago.

It shocked me for a moment.

My parents are mostly conservative Republicans, but I, mostly because of the influence of all you here at APS and THR, am even more so conservative, with a touch of libertarian mixed in. My parents are right-wing, and I'm even further right-wing. grin

It makes for some interesting political conversations because there isn't as much agreement between myself and my parents regarding all things political as there used to be. We're still in agreement about a lot of things, it's just a few points here and there that our opinions differ and that's where the sparks fly. 

Andy

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: Family and politics and growing pains
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 10:13:23 AM »
I am the only member of my family that doesn't vote Democrat.  I've known for a long time, though, that I was different from the rest.  In high school, I used to torment my mother by telling her that I was going to vote for Pat Buchanan.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 10:25:35 AM »
It makes for some interesting political conversations because there isn't as much agreement between myself and my parents regarding all things political as there used to be. We're still in agreement about a lot of things, it's just a few points here and there that our opinions differ and that's where the sparks fly. 

You sure smacked the nail on the head with this question.  My parents have never registered to vote but will talk at length about whats wrong in the country/ world.  I have always told them without voting they havent any right to an opinion; the fur really flies when I do that.  Ive been a lunatic fringe Libertarian for a long time now and derive immense amusement with baiting discussions from my right wing relatives.  My brother is the most fun; hes desperately trying to convince me that the only salvation for the country is the Republican Party.  My folks are getting old enough that I dont risk raising their blood pressure any more but my niece has pleasantly discovered a cool uncle.

2008 is going to be a difficult election for me.  The Democrats have a virtual strangle hold on this state so voting against them is just a gesture.  I think thats a gesture Ill need to make.
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:53:40 AM »
Dad was conservative, Mom still is. (Though a registered Republican, she's been disappointed with the RINOs swelling the ranks of the GOP ever since they started backtracking from their Contract With America)

As for other relatives, the paternal side of the family we never got along well with, so I have no idea of their politics. Maternal side is mostly based in the Chicagoland area, so I figure they're mostly voting Democrat . . . probably out of habit, because voting Republican is something that simply isn't done. (Small loss, given the RINOs infesting NE Illinois.) We get along well, and just tend to avoid talking politics, other than to agree that most politicians of both parties are more unsavory than the contents of a soiled diaper.

One of my mother's cousins owned a hotel in Florida . . . I'd say he was pretty conservative, since he confided that the local Chamber of Commerce used to take up an annual collection to buy one-way bus tickets north to places like Chicago, New York, and Detroit for what we'd now call "homeless" but were then called vagrants, tramps, bums, and other words I won't use in this forum. shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:07:41 PM »
My parents and I are pretty close politically. There are a few issues we disagree on (war on drugs, welfare), but on most of the big stuff we are similar. The difference is that I am still young/foolish enough to be an idealist and vote Libertarian, while they have written third parties off as hopeless, and vote Republican as the lesser of two evils.

Overall, though, politics is not a bid topic of discussion. None of us are particularly rabid on anything, and we adopt a fairly laissez faire attitude within the family on these kind of things.  smiley

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:31:45 PM »
My folks are in their upper 80's, and are lifelong FDR Democrats. In his entire life, my father only voted Republican once, and that was for Nixon in 1972.

My father believes that Oprah, and Bill Gates, and many other people make too much money. He believes that there should be a limit on how much money a person can make.

Some of his other beliefs are pretty far-out as well.

We used to have some pretty lively debates, but now I try to keep his blood pressure down by changing the subject if he talks politics.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 03:59:09 PM »
Politics are impossible for me to discuss with family, my sister voted for Kerry
because of Howard Stern.
My brother is rooting for gun grabber guilianni because he is a NY cop.

it's just about hopeless, our televised presidential debates are a real farce, but watching Gore interrupt Bush and act like the condescending pompous elitist he is was entertaining.

I really think Hillary will be our next president and that the country is doomed
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 04:15:32 PM »
I can talk to my mom or younger sister about politics, and I like having long discussions with my mom.

My older sister took a hard left as soon as she got her teaching degree. She turned into an uber-lib overnight and can't handle disagreement. She can dish it out, she just can't take it. I just ignore her for the most part.

My dad was pretty conservative, but growing up during the depression he thought that FDR walked on water.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 04:34:34 AM »
The difference is that I am still young/foolish enough to be an idealist and vote Libertarian, while they have written third parties off as hopeless, and vote Republican as the lesser of two evils.
It works the other way for me.  My Dad was (is) a Buchananite and also got involved with the Constitution Party at some point in the nineties.  We both voted Const. party in '96.  Though I haven't written off third parties entirely, I usually only vote for them now for local or state offices.  Meanwhile, my Dad voted for the Const. Party's presidential candidate in '04 and still hopes God will forgive him for voting Bush in 2000.  Smiley  We had a rather spirited argument once about the Iraq war. 

I think the purpose of third parties right now in America is to draw off votes from the big parties when they go too far to the center, thereby teaching them a lesson.  Hopefully. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »
I think the purpose of third parties right now in America is to draw off votes from the big parties when they go too far to the center, thereby teaching them a lesson.  Hopefully. 

Hmm, the way you phrased that it almost like it belongs in this threadgrin

Sorry. Just had to.  angel
Andy

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:10:49 AM »

...  My parents have never registered to vote but will talk at length about whats wrong in the country/ world.  I have always told them without voting they havent any right to an opinion; the fur really flies when I do that.  ...

No wonder; you have it backwards. It is you, the voter, that shouldn't complain about the post-election governance. After all, by participating you implicitly agreed to accept the outcome.

Your wise folks, on the other hand, see the criminality and futility of voting (to determine who gets taxed/robbed and who gets gov't checks/booty). It is your parents who are the rightful complainers.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 08:15:49 AM »
I know a lot of us here hold different political views than the rest of our families, we've went over this before, what I'm interested in is your experience when you noticed you political views were different than those of, say, your parents. When did it happen?

For me, it was when I was able to vote. I realized that I really had to make up my own mind and that it was my responsibility to vote for the best, err, least distasteful candidate and not just parrot my parents' views. But to do that I learned I really had to put a lot of work into learning about those candidates and just American politics in general. In turn, my own opinions lead me to slightly stray from my parents political views in a couple of matters. 

And yes, I'm still young and idealogical in some things. grin
Andy

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 09:05:57 AM »
My parents are right wing republicans, along with the rest of my family.  My uncle and I have had fairly heated discussions about the Patriot Act and domestic spying.  I think they are evil, he thinks George Bush will save us all.  My parents have started to come around to a more libertarian way of thinking, and have been sorely disappointed by Bush.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 01:20:43 PM »
Your wise folks, on the other hand, see the criminality and futility of voting (to determine who gets taxed/robbed and who gets gov't checks/booty). It is your parents who are the rightful complainers.

...criminality(?) wtf??  I'll agree with futility.

You have an interesting take on it, you're welcome to it.

Da bianhua

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »
mercedes is a anarchist, but that doesn't explain why he thinks your parents are also anarchists.  Jumping to conclusions there. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 01:39:02 PM »

Do you mean "idealistic"?  Being "idealogical" only means that one consciously holds to a set of principles, for good or ill.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »
mercedes is a anarchist, but that doesn't explain why he thinks your parents are also anarchists.  Jumping to conclusions there. 

Is that what he is?  I wondered, I was thinking a different creature entirely but they normally don't stick around long enough to have   a post count of 300+.  I used to consider myself a rational anarchist but its too hard to explain, everyone gets Libertarian.

Da bianhua

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »

Do you mean "idealistic"?  Being "idealogical" only means that one consciously holds to a set of principles, for good or ill.

Yep, that's what I meant. I wasn't paying close attention to my choice of words. Plus, it also looks like I misspelled it. Hmm, I wonder how many more things I can get wrong?
Andy

Strings

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 05:10:21 PM »
Mom was more or less apolitical, and dad was conservative (although he didn't vote)...

Only problem I ever had with "political discussion" in my family was my brother Greg. Serious died-in-the-wool leftist. Thought Carter was the greatest president ever until Clinton came along. We've had some interesting little "discussions" over the years. Haven't lately, since I've pretty much disowned most of my remaining family...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 05:54:41 PM »
Hunter Rose, my guess is that the rest of  your family disowned you first. Wink

Strings

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 07:11:26 PM »
no Dick... every once in awhile, they try contacting me again. Kinda funny, actually: at least, I find it amusing...

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 05:37:31 AM »

You are right; I have no way of knowing why they don't vote.

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 05:43:22 AM »

...criminality(?) wtf??  ...

As a voter, you know ahead of time that if your candidate wins he will attempt to forcibly take money from some citizens and send it your way. As a libertarian anarchist, you shouldn't be now learning this for the first time.

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 05:47:20 AM »

Is that what he is?  I wondered, I was thinking a different creature entirely but they normally don't stick around long enough to have   a post count of 300+.  I used to consider myself a rational anarchist but its too hard to explain, everyone gets Libertarian.

I am not familiar with "rational anarchist". What qualification does the "rational " prefix impart?

Ron

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 05:51:33 AM »
What qualification does the "rational " prefix impart

I was wondering about that myself.

Maybe pragmatic or realistic would be a better word.

One step closer to reality and one step away from anarchist utopia.