Author Topic: Remedies for tough times?  (Read 5407 times)

Nightfall

• friend
Remedies for tough times?
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
Anybody got some good ideas on anxiety remedies? Im going through some horrible times, and I could really use something to help with the anxiety, particularly when Im trying to get a little sleep. Nothing heavy, cant keep too much food down.

So any good home remedies or recommendations? Thanks guys and gals. smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Remedies for tough times?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:05:59 PM »
Nightfall, I have decades of experience with dealing with anxiety, including really severe panic attacks.

If you like, please email me at dbaker@wi.rr.com. There are personal questions I'd ask of you, ones that you may not want to answer on a public forum.

I'm here to give whatever help I can, if you want it.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:12:16 PM »
Valerian root is supposed to be very soothing.

Getting more exercise is a good long-term remedy.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 09:00:46 PM »
Valerian root is supposed to be very soothing.

Getting more exercise is a good long-term remedy.

Yes, try Valerian root, the brand I used for years is called Natures Way; the dose per capsule is about 500mg.  I was also taking St. John Wort, the dose per capsule should be about the same but Ive been off them for a while now.  Anxiety and depression can be a self-feeding problem as well as a self-fulfilling problem; Im just staying afloat from both right now without the supplements.  One capsule, three times a day.

Valerian root may cause a hangover, my wife complains about it but I dont feel anything remotely like her response to them.  I also used it as an analgesic for back pain, two capsules at a time.  It has been compared to eighteenth century valium, treat it like a drug until you know how your body will re-act to it.
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 10:58:59 PM »
Grab a Bible and read through the book of Job.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:24:33 AM »
You have a dog or cat???  It's amazing how much stress they can relieve...

Greg

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 03:54:04 AM »
You have a dog or cat???  It's amazing how much stress they can relieve...
Yea, until you awake in the middle of the night to snarling hissing three way cat fight between your legs as the cats work out who gets to sleep in that privileged spot.

Another vote for valarian root.  It became a standard item in my home apothecary cabinet while I was in the midst of my "Crazy Years" in the early 1990s.  I'd brew a cup of strong tea with it, light a candle, put the first Enigma album on the CD player and turn out the lights.     
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ron

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 04:01:35 AM »
I have been known to self medicate for entertainment, whether it was beer, wine whatever.

When I am under stress or feeling a lot of anxiety I stop the partying completely.

These are the times when you need to have all your wits about you and when your character will be shown.

I do have some over the counter sleep aids I will use if I go more than two nights without good sleep.

My last bought of anxiety was helped by taking a week off and going on a back pack trip. Something about a week of worrying only about food, water and shelter to help put things in perspective.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 04:12:11 AM »
Ambien is your friend.

Xanax isn't too bad either.

What state do you reside in?

One day at a time.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 04:42:18 AM »
Exercise.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 06:59:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Seems like valerian root is a common recommendation, I will try that. Normally I exercise almost daily, but with this nausea, walking too much is very unpleasant, let alone running or weights. The cat and dog recommendation is a good idea too, 'cept I'm allergic to cats. Smiley I seem to be allergic to the Bible too, HTG, but I may even try that none-the-less! Wink
What state do you reside in?
VA.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 07:21:27 AM »
What's causing your anxiety?

If it is a specific problem, work on getting it resolved.  In other words, treat the problem, not the symptom.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 07:29:19 AM »
Valerian gets a thumbs up... just be prepared to have as a chaser something with a strong flavor (any flavor) or odor. Valerian smells... well, bad. I'm sure there are gel-coated or otherwise buffered options out there though Smiley

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 07:34:36 AM »
I've been getting pretty anxious/stressed myself lately and trying new and old ways to deal with it.

If you've got the time, I finding reading a book full of ideas or themes that you care about to be a good way to handle things. Something hopeful, pleasant, etc. I like to re-read any off of my 'favorites' list (LOTR, Atlas Shrugged, Gates of Fire..). If I'm anxious and stressed I probably am hugely lacking in free time so this one doesn't really work very often.

Make finding new music a habit. I listen to a lot of ambient electronica, jazz, classical and gregorian chant. That last one is a big help.

I try to sample a lot of different kinds of teas. I found a Rooibos apple cider tea that's really great. I'm a believer in all the healthy benefits of anti-oxidants, etc.

Take up pipe smoking! Healthiest choice you can make! A thousand smooth, tasty blends to sample. Just sit and puff slowly. "Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world." I didn't appreciate how pleasant and soothing the process could be until I actually started doing it regularly.

If it's chronic anxiety, it's worth consulting your physician about some prescription solutions.

But just don't lay there in bed staring at the ceiling. Either sleep, or get up and do something.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 08:00:15 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
What's causing your anxiety?

If it is a specific problem, work on getting it resolved.  In other words, treat the problem, not the symptom.
Something Ive always agreed with. Im certainly working to fix it, but I wont find out if I solved the problem for another week or so. So Im just trying to ease the anxiety how I can&
Quote from: SpookyPistolero
If it's chronic anxiety, it's worth consulting your physician about some prescription solutions.
&but I think this is primarily what I have to do. Not doing it before is a big reason I'm dealing with this now. 

I just finished with The Hobbit, and Im doing LOTR again, Spooky. Having something that keeps my mind from obsessing over problems that have been addressed helps. Id normally do that with studying, some coding, but my mind has been too much of a mess for real critical thinking work.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 09:30:25 AM »
The first issue is whether it is situational or not.  If something is causing it then the best thing is to deal with that.  If not then it sounds chemical and will probably respond to medication.
Everyone will have his own remedy.  I find some vigorous exercise, like fast walking, works pretty well.  I have never tried Valerian.  At the end of the day Valium has always worked for me but it is a time-limited thing.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »
I had a bout of situational anxiety right around the time I defended my PhD.  Mine seemed to be anxiety/panic when trying to fall asleep, or waking up at 4 am with my mind racing and so nauseous that I couldn't keep down food.

I got to being pretty non-functional at a point in my life where I needed to be absolutely on top of my game.  The GPs at student health gave me Xanax to use at night just to get me through the month of my defense and I used it maybe 3 times after during my final re-writes. I was also given some anti-nausa drugs so I could get my strength up.  (If you ever want to have fun, try going to a campus health center as a 20-something female with AM nausea and get any diagnosis besides pregnant).

Here and there I'll have isolated incidents of it.  I had a bad stretch when my marriage was falling apart and lost about 30 pounds that I didn't need to loose (not pretty). That one also lasted about a month and ended when I became resolute in my decision that I had to leave. 

When I feel it coming on I eliminate all caffeine and try relaxation techniques.  The "tension tamer" tea has valerian in it, and it does work (The funny smell is valeric or pentanoic acid, also found in stinging nettles).  Exercise during the day is good, but at night or  once you're all wound up a slow walk may do you more good.  The slow pace can help to get your mind to slow down.  I also find that getting out of bed and taking a hot shower seemed to break whatever circles the brain was running around in. 
Experiment with a chemist!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 04:29:59 PM »
More range time.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 05:18:42 PM »
Consistent, regular exercise
A fine single malt scotch
A fine 1 hour cigar.
A pool of sunshine

Anxiety is caused by worrying about things over which you have no control.  While you are in the sunshine sipping scotch and smoking a cigar try to list the stuff in your life you are trying to control.  Amazingly effective in identifying the source of anxiety.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 05:43:32 PM »
If you are anxious and don't know why, just identifying the cause of the anxiety can help quite a bit. "I'm anxious because of (whatever) and it's a normal reaction to the situation so I shuld just try to take it in stride. That alone can be enough to set you on the right track. I've tried Valreian but only to help e sleep. I've used St John's in tha past. It did improve my demeanor but it also makes your eyes and skin light sensitive and I work in the sun all day every day (when it's out) so that was a problem for me. Plus I hear that those who take St Johns regularly gives them the ability to see devils.  shocked

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 05:44:13 PM »
Cod liver oil.

Hot mustard baths.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 05:52:58 PM »
It would seem that none of the posters so far have ever experienced real panic attacks, except Nightfall and me.

I'm very glad that none of you have, because I wouldn't wish one on anybody but my worst enemies.

You don't get rid of them by jogging, or going shooting, or smoking a cigar.

I can't explain panic attacks to anyone who hasn't had one. Trust me, though, it's a living Hell.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 07:33:26 PM »
I'm not very religious, and I reccomend the book of Job. It's a darn good parable, at the very least.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 08:27:19 PM »
If you can find a combination of valerian and passion flower, that's an even better clmative. I could take a couple and drive in rush hour Dallas traffic before I moved up here without the least bit of stress, while maintaining a full state of alertness and reaction time.

Get a cat, too. I've got one laying across my lap, nearly on top of the keyboard trying to create typos.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 12:23:47 AM »
yes, I used to get panic attacks driving over big bridges. They went away after a while. I think it was a depth perception thing as I approached them that was causing my anxiety. Try experiencing a panic attack while you're driving in heavy traffic at highwat speeds. If his condition is that serious then he should be seeking professional help. If he can't afford it there are usually community groups that will offer help either free or on a sliding scale. Sometimes just talking things over with good professional will do wonders for you. They can help you pinpoint things that you cannot see yourself for one reason or another.
Avoid cliches like the plague!