Author Topic: Remedies for tough times?  (Read 5408 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Remedies for tough times?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 05:16:36 PM »
Panic attacks? It helps to shoot back, and keep hoping that training sets in... Then run like hell.

Pick a small part of the problem. Fix it. Pick another small part. Fix that. Repeat as needed.

Blog under construction

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 07:52:10 PM »
Good advice, bogie.

Dad always said (despite his usual lack of depth):
Yard by yard, Life is Hard.
Inch by Inch, it's a cinch.

Or, put another way:
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day [is] the evil thereof.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 08:00:37 PM »
I don't remember anything about panic attacaks in the first post.  As far as I know, there's a difference between a panic attack and an anxiety attack.  I have anxiety attacks quite frequently but I can deal with them.  Personally, for me, as long as I have notice it's an anxiety attack.  No notice and that makes a panic attack.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 08:36:17 PM »
Dannyboy, I don't know if we're all talking the same terms here.

Let me outline my personal definitions, and others can modify them as they like.

Stress: there's too much work to get done in the time allotted; money is just about gone, and bills are due; or any other situation that raises blood pressure.

Anxiety: the meeting/job tomorrow is either going to make or break my career; the job interview is tomorrow, and I really need this job; etc.

Anxiety attack: rapid breathing and heart rate; sweating; feeling like you're either going insane, having a heart attack, or are going to die; inability to focus on the task/conversation at hand; wishing that you could leave whatever place you're in and just get to someplace where you think you'll feel comfortable.

Panic attack: when the anxiety attack comes on quickly, and is much more intense than an anxiety attack; may actually be physically debilitating.

I've had all of the above. I've had anxiety attacks so bad that my wife could actually hear the bed rattling on the floor. Panic attacks so bad that I had to pull to the side of the road because I couldn't drive. (A few months ago, a woman here in the MKE area had a panic attack, and drove off the road into Lake Michigan, with her kids in the car).

Those are my loosely-defined terms. Just trying to make sure that we all understand what each other is talking about.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 02:55:53 AM »
Found this: http://www.adaa.org/

and this: http://www.anxietypanic.com/

I'm sure there's more. Type in anxiety and panic and look around.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 03:35:54 AM »
It would seem that none of the posters so far have ever experienced real panic attacks, except Nightfall and me.

I'm very glad that none of you have, because I wouldn't wish one on anybody but my worst enemies.

You don't get rid of them by jogging, or going shooting, or smoking a cigar.

I can't explain panic attacks to anyone who hasn't had one. Trust me, though, it's a living Hell.

Ooh, let's play "my experience is worse than your experience."
I think plenty of us have experienced everything from unease to anxiety to full blown panic attacks that disable the person.  And all the remedies suggested will deal with that range as well.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 04:34:34 AM »
Panic attacks? It helps to shoot back, and keep hoping that training sets in... Then run like hell.

Pick a small part of the problem. Fix it. Pick another small part. Fix that. Repeat as needed.

Damn fine advice.  Don't tackle it all at once.  Fix what can be fixed one piece at a time.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

...has left the building.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 06:43:06 AM »
I would recommend doing some vigorous exercise regularly, staying away from bad foods, and maybe hitting the range each weekend. You'll feel better and even if you have a tough week, you have the range to look forward to. We all go through tough times and keeping yourself physically strong will help you have the mental fortitude to make it through.

Another thing could be to get a dog that is from an extremely loyal breed. It is hard to have any kind of anxiety when you're playing fetch or 'rassling with your doggie after work.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »
"Ooh, let's play "my experience is worse than your experience."

Rabbi, that's a cheap shot, especially coming from someone as respected as you are.

But, if you believe that anxiety attacks and panic attacks can be treated with exercise or fine cigars or whatever, that's fine with me.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »
"Ooh, let's play "my experience is worse than your experience."

Rabbi, that's a cheap shot, especially coming from someone as respected as you are.

But, if you believe that anxiety attacks and panic attacks can be treated with exercise or fine cigars or whatever, that's fine with me.

Sorry, Dick.  You're right.  You're the only one to have experienced anxiety and panic attacks.  No, exercise never helped anyone deal with anxiety.  All the suggestions made here are reflective of ignorance rather than knowledge, which  uniquely resides with you.  My humble apologies.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 02:05:34 PM »
Rabbi, it was not my intent to insult you or anyone else. But you don't seem to have that same intent.

Am I the only person who's had anxiety attacks and panic attacks? Absolutely not.

I have no way of knowing what you or others on this forum have experienced in terms of attacks, as I have no way of  "seeing" into someone's mind. What you or others have experienced may be the same as what I have, or maybe not. There's no way to know.

So, let me rephrase my previous statements: there is no way that exercise or a fine cigar or anything of that nature would have helped my problem with panic attacks. Of that I'm sure. For others, exercise or cigars or shooting or whatever may be a solution.

I hope that rephrasing is satisfactory to you. If not, then I hope you'll agree that you and I are simply in disagreement, and leave it at that.

This thread, after all, is about Nightfall's problem. Not yours or mine.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
All right settle down you two.

Let's focus on helping.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

LAK

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 01:29:44 AM »
I would not attempt to discourage anyone from getting professional advice and therapy if needed. However, I would refuse any prescription; the psychotropic anti-depressants are nothing more than legalized poison IMO.

---------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org