Author Topic: Why does Performance Bike hate me?  (Read 2246 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Why does Performance Bike hate me?
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:30:39 AM »
<sigh>

I've always wanted a road fixie, but hadn't planned on building another bike anytime soon.  I hate "hipster" conversion fixies and most fixie frames are $300+.  Last night, I get a Performance Bike catalog...They have their Scattante SSR frame and fork on sale for $199.99.  I can resist that.  But wait, there's more...They have a 10% off coupon code and I have $13 in Team Performance points sitting idle.  That $200 frame is now $175.  It's getting tougher to resist.  But wait, there's more...This morning, I get an email with a new coupon code for 15% off.  Now I'm looking at $165 after tax. 

I recently sold my old server for $200.

I guess I know what my Winter project will be (when I'm not changing diapers or helping with homework).

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Why does Performance Bike hate me?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:13:28 AM »
Why do I have a funny feeling that right after you tell Michelle that you're buying ANOTHER bike you'll look down towards your feet only to find them obscured by the loops of your own intestines?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:15:47 AM »
I ordered something once from Performance Bike about three weeks ago, and ever since I've been inundated with sales and coupons.
Andy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:53:41 AM »
Why do I have a funny feeling that right after you tell Michelle that you're buying ANOTHER bike you'll look down towards your feet only to find them obscured by the loops of your own intestines?

Actually, she didn't seem to mind at all.  Besides, the other two bikes replaced two bikes (and I made money above the purchase price from the sale of one of the old bikes).

I ordered something once from Performance Bike about three weeks ago, and ever since I've been inundated with sales and coupons.

Normally I toss the catalogs in the trash and delete the emails because Performance doesn't carry many big ticket items I'm interested in.  The small stuff is too inexpensive to bother with coupons and such.  For some reason, I flipped through this catalog and saw the frame. 

FWIW, I ordered it this morning.  I had it shipped to the local store, but I still had to pay the "oversize" shipping premium (otherwise, it would be $48 to ship to the house).  Total cost was $182, which is a steal for a frame like this.  Similar frames from Surly, Pake, etc run $300+.  Hell, it's probably made in the same Taiwanese factory as the others, just given a different paint job and decal set (very common in the bike industry).

Chris

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:00:24 AM »

Good tip.  If I need an expensive bike part, I'll buy a spoke wrench first and wait for the discounts to come rolling in.   cool

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:08:42 AM »
Actually, keep an eye on the bikeforums.net coupon forum or the Performance bike website and 90% of the deals and coupons will be posted in one of those two places.  With email, you might get a code a day or two faster.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »

Why do you believe it's only Performance Bike that hates you?

laugh

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »

Why do you believe it's only Performance Bike that hates you?

laugh

Brad

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out, too...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:39:47 AM »
Maybe Bike Nashbar is not fond of you either.......

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
Maybe Bike Nashbar is not fond of you either.......

They sell too much junk these days.  I'm never tempted by them. Smiley

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
I think Nashbar has gone downhill since they were bought by Performance.  Not to mention they now charge me sales tax, since Performance has stores in Washington.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

jrfoxx

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »
fixie?

Sorry, my bike knowledge is 20+ years old, and involved mostly no-gear dirt bikes, that may have had a card in the spokes at one time or another....

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »
Fixie=Fixed gear bike, no freewheel, no coasting.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 05:07:39 AM »
Bike is finally finished.  I kept stumbling across good deals, so I ended up with a nicer bike than I originally planned.  Most recently, I scored a NIB set of Surly Jim Brown track hubs for $65 (normally $150) and a pair of Mavic CXP22 rims for $45 shipped.  A friend of mine offered to build them up and gave me the spokes needed (saving about $70 plus labor).  Not only that, he tossed in a Surly Jethro Tool track nut wrench and bottle opener (worth another $20 and well worth it).  I still need to tune the brake a bit and finalize adjustments so I can trim the steerer tube (excess is above stem with some spacers right now).

Spec:

Frame/fork: Scattante SSR from Performance Bike
Headset: Cane Creek S3
Stem: Salsa
Handlebars: Nashbar Time Trial bullhorns wrapped with shellaced green cotton tape and tied off with twine for a "vintage" look that matches the saddle
Brake: Nashbar Time Trial lever with Nashbar dual pivot road brake
Wheelset: Mavic CXP22 laced to Surly Jim Brown track hubs via DT DB spokes
Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro 700x25c
Cranks: Shimano 105 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-54 68x107mm
Chainring: Sugino 130bcd 46t 1/8" "standard ring"
Cog: Surly 17t 1/8" track cog
Chain: Generic Bell chain from Wal-Mart (great chain for $5)
Saddle: Brooks Champion Special (Green)
Seatpost: Easton

It's an absolute rocket.  With very little drivetrain friction losses, it feels like every bit of force goes straight to the tire.

Chris