Author Topic: Why do cows have their ups and downs?  (Read 9469 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Why do cows have their ups and downs?
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/apr/12/improbable-research-cows-lying-down

A new study shows that the longer a cow has been lying down, the more likely it is to stand up, but the reverse is not true. Once up, you cannot predict how soon a cow will lie down again.

* Marc Abrahams
    * guardian.co.uk, Monday 12 April 2010 17.00 BST

Some cows had resting times less than half those achieved by others in the same study

A new study called Are Cows More Likely to Lie Down the Longer They Stand? adds to our knowledge of what cows do and why they do it.

Some researchers succumb to temptation – hazarding unprovable guesses as to cows' intentions, motivations and desires. Five scientists in Scotland, though, took a careful path, methodically measuring a very specific part of the what, and not guessing too wildly at the why.

Bert Tolkamp, Marie Haskell, Fritha Langford, David Roberts and Colin Morgan, based at the Scottish Agricultural College, published their monograph in the journal Applied Animal Behaviour Science.

It builds upon a large body of work by other researchers. Some of the earlier reports have almost poetical titles. The best in that respect is (in my opinion, at least) a Swedish report called Effects of Milking Frequency on Lying Down and Getting Up Behaviour of Dairy Cows. Its authors, Sara Osterman and Ingrid Redbo of the Kungsängen Research Centre in Uppsala, argue that milking thrice a day – rather than twice – "contributes to increased comfort in high-producing dairy cows".

The Scottish team focused on questions that stem indirectly from that Swedish study.

Tolkamp, Haskell, Langford, Roberts and Morgan set out to test two hypotheses – two educated guesses – about the nature of cowhood.

First, they hypothesized that the longer a cow has been lying down, the more likely it soon will stand up. After gathering lots of what-did-the-cows-do data, they report that yes, this is exactly what happens. Generally speaking, you can't keep a good cow down, not for long, not if the cow is healthy.

Their second hypothesis looked at things the other way round. They predicted the longer a cow has been standing up, the more likely it is to lie down. Here the cows gave them a surprise.

After ruminating over their results, the team decided that no, their expectation was wrong. The truth, they conclude, is that once a cow has stood up, you can't easily predict how soon it will lie down again.

This kind of experiment, if it is to produce trustworthy results, requires a series of careful technical decisions. How many cows should you watch, under what circumstances, and for how long? How can you reliably monitor whether and when each cow has officially stood up or flopped down?

The scientists examined three groups of cows. They attached an electronic sensor to each animal, to automatically note and record the cow's ups and downs. They then validated some of the findings, by watching video recordings of some cows and comparing what they saw with what the sensors had said.

Some mysteries persist. "The question of why some cows had total daily resting times less than half of those achieved by other cows in the same experiment, as well as many other questions", says the report, "remain to be addressed in future research."

(Thanks to Richard Wassersug for bringing this to my attention.)

Marc Abrahams

• Marc Abrahams is editor of the bimonthly Annals of Improbable Research and organiser of the Ig Nobel prize

Thank goodness somebody did a study on this issue and spent some other .gov's money other than ours.  I have yearn for years to know more about why cows stand or lie down.

:facepalm:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Why do cows have their ups and downs?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
Why did you read this?

Why did you share this?

Why did I use up a valuable click on my mouse and nearly 500kb of downloaded data to view it?

My life now has less value... :'(

=D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:59:30 PM »
Why did you read this?

Why did you share this?

Why did I use up a valuable click on my mouse and nearly 500kb of downloaded data to view it?

=D

AZRedhawk44,
A goal in my life is to share as much useless knowledge as I possibly can.  I am now a little step closer to my goal.  Thank you.   =D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
Why did you read this?

Why did you share this?

=D

This:

"The question of why some cows had total daily resting times less than half of those achieved by other cows in the same experiment, as well as many other questions", says the report, "remain to be addressed in future research."

No wonder you are not in academia.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:16:35 PM »
Stop it!  Stop it!

You're wearing out the innernetz!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
I am waiting on the study that looks at cows to determine which side of the brisket gets the most exercise from standing up after lying down. If they favor the leg on one side over the other to rise, does it have an effect on the tenderness of the brisket?

Ya know, we are coming into brisket smoking season and I like mine nice and tender, if it starts out more tender maybe it will stay that way.

Have to go now, I can see a grant worth millions in my future!  =D

bob

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »
Sounds like they are trying to milk these research grants for all they can get ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
Sounds like they are trying to milk these research grants for all they can get ;)

So they spend their time examining how ground beef becomes lean beef?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »
So they spend their time examining how ground beef becomes lean beef?

Then it becomes standing rib roast  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
That's a camel, you moron!
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »
Udderly ridiculous.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
Methane, when they're full of methane they are lighter and more inclined to stand up. When they've uh, depleted their methane supply they become a bit heavier and would rather lie down to take the extra load off their hooves. Don't you city folk know anything?  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
The ones who lie down more are just afraid of cow tippers.   =)

I started reading this and kept expecting some sort of joke.  I finally had to skip down and check your comments.  Glad I didn't read that whole thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 05:51:33 PM »
Methane, when they're full of methane they are lighter and more inclined to stand up. When they've uh, depleted their methane supply they become a bit heavier and would rather lie down to take the extra load off their hooves. Don't you city folk know anything?  ;/
and if they happen to catch algore syndrome, they float off to DC. :angel:

look mommy, there's no plane in the sky.....but there's a flying bovine!!!!! [popcorn]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
and if they happen to catch algore syndrome, they float off to DC. :angel:

look mommy, there's no plane in the sky.....but there's a flying bovine!!!!! [popcorn]
Watch out for falling manure.  Carry an umbrella. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »
Watch out for falling manure.  Carry an umbrella. 

That's be what you call a s***storm.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

280plus

• friend

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »
My theory is that the up-down timing is due to the unsuspected intervening variable of tidal effects.

Cowtides, if you will.

Gimme a $200,000 research grant and I'll prove it.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »
Dear Science Guys,

Where the fruit is my jet pack!?  Stop wasting time and get back to work.

kthxbai,

GigaBuist

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
I want my pixels back.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:54 PM »
They're resting before they go to war: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 01:30:58 AM »
Dear Science Guys,

Where the fruit is my jet pack!?  Stop wasting time and get back to work.

kthxbai,

GigaBuist

http://www.martinjetpack.com/

=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 06:34:04 AM »

That's some smart stinkin' right there!  :lol:

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 06:37:07 AM »
kids will do anything to get high now. =(

[popcorn]