Author Topic: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?  (Read 29853 times)

Lee

• friend
Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »
I've probably owned a dozen or more vehicles in my life, and maybe once, someone asked to borrow my car...to which I said no.
I bought my first truck two years ago. I bought it new.  It's a Limited Edition 4X4, with lot's of bells and whistles, heated leather seats, big chrome wheels, with 4 doors and a short 5" bed with a custom fiberglass cover.  My neighbors have never asked to borrow anything from me...nothing. It's a nice neighborhood, most folks drive really nice cars - no shortages of BMW, Lexus, Lincoln, Caddy, Porsche, etc.  I've been asked by several of them to borrow my truck so they could pick up furniture, move their kid into a dorm or haul lawn and garden stuff.  These weren't requests for my labor - just "I'd like the key to your truck, if you don't mind".
I guess they just see any truck as a cheap tool to be used.  WRONG!!  I don't even let my wife drive my truck...and that's what I usually tell them.  I'm not opposed to semi-abusing the truck myself - and I do generally offer to help them out... if I have the time and whatever it is they want to haul will fit in the short bed.  One neighbor even came over with a tape measure to measure the bed after I told her it was too short to haul the stuff she wanted to haul.  The same neighbor called me while I was in Florida on vacation last year (she was watching our house -and she is a good neighbor); she asked me if I had left a key to my truck at home, because her husband wanted to borrow my truck.  I was so stunned I was speechless at first.
I'm seriously thinking about buying a bumper sticker for it that says, NO - YOU CAN'T BORROW MY TRUCK.
Also seriously thinking about asking my other neighbor if I can borrow his Porsche...after all, I have a truck, but would like to drive a Porsche sometimes, without actually having to buy one. :laugh:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »
I've never had that problem but then I'm not sure I can think of anyone I associate with that doesn't own a truck, or two. I have had one of my brother in laws ask, in all seriousness if he could borrow my bike to go on a poker run, since I'd just had shoulder surgery I wasn't going to be using it.
He just didn't understand the "Not only no but HELL no! response.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »

Up this neck of the woods you might ask a friend or neighbor to help you out with his truck, but ask to borrow it?  Damn, boy, you'd better know him real well.

Let's all head over to TallPine's place and borrow his horse.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »

Let's all head over to TallPine's place and borrow his horse.

That'll most likely get you hanged or shot....

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
I get that here ALL THE FREAKIN' time. Only about 25% of the time is it, "Let me borrow your truck". The other 75% is, "Can I borrow you and your truck?" I'm probably pegged as a mean guy, but I never hand over the keys and don't very often help with whatever they need the truck for. Probably because the 364 days in the year that they don't need me, those same people either lecture me about my gas guzzler or else make Redneck jokes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

Heh.

I recall a story wherein a guy was criticized by some lady for driving a "gas guzzling" truck.  In his [verbal] rebuttal, he inquired of her [paraphrased], "when you call for a tow, call for a fire, or call to have stuff hauled, do they show up in a [effing] Prius?  No, they show up in a [effing] truck.  Because trucks get [stuff] done."

Was that one of you guys?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
I have driven a friend's truck exactly once. Bedlamite's old Chevy, when I had to use it to go pick him and his bike up in Chicago.

Have asked friends with trucks to help me with hauling stuff, but have never raised a fuss if they couldn't (or wouldn't)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Have asked friends with trucks to help me with hauling stuff, but have never raised a fuss if they couldn't (or wouldn't)...

If it's a good friend, I don't mind. It's when econazi coworkers and random econazi acquaintances, or just random slackers hit me up that I get touchy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »

Reminds me that I need to buy a truck.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
I've even had people I don't know ask to use my truck - through my kids.  The parents of my daughter's friend, wanted to move their other daughter into her college dorm last Fall.  My daughter called me to ask, and I told her no.  She then texted me, saying that her friends' mom wanted me to call her to explain why they couldn't use it.  After about a 15 minute cool down on my part- I called her number and got her voice mail.  I nicely said no. She didn't call back...but my daughter told me the mom was pissed because I wouldn't let them use it.  They also drive luxury cars, and I'm sure they would not loan those to me....although I might have my daughter ask them the next time we have a blizzard or ice storm.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »

Get on it! You live in the country after all....act the part! ;)

I am not a fan of lending my truck either.  Several friends have asked me to help do stuff but not directly for the truck.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »

I am not a fan of lending my truck either.  Several friends have asked me to help do stuff but not directly for the truck.

Look on the bright side.

At least they're not asking to borrow your wife.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »
Look on the bright side.

Well I'm not using her...
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
They also drive luxury cars

Because, you know, paying an obscene amount of money for looks is WAY more important than buying something with an actual purpose!

Since you have acerage I highly suggest a flatbed truck, or better yet, a small flatbed dump truck. Immense utility if you're not going to be using it as a daily driver...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
That'll most likely get you hanged or shot....

Hanged and shot, or shot and hanged ... can't figure which should come first  >:D

I went through that pickup stuff back in the late seventies: people would berate me for driving a gas guzzler and then in the next sentence ask to borrow it or help them haul something.

These were the Fish People, too.   ;/   Often I did help people if they asked nice, or more often I just volunteered.  One young couple about my age with two little kids I must have helped move six times in two years.

And after two years of helping folks move, hauling wood, and retrieving road-kill elk in the middle of -35 degree nights, the self-appointed bishop told me I wasn't worth having around  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »
Fish people? Bishop? Huh wha?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 08:47:31 PM »
Look on the bright side.

My cubicle mate at work has a sign on his wall that says, "you can borrow my dog, but not my tools - the dog can find his way back home."

Without sounding too crass...that sorta applies to the truck/wife thing.  The truck is still new to me.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
"It's good, though..."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »
I've long since disassociated myself with anyone who would give me an enviro-weenie speech about owning a big gas-guzzling truck.

Requests for me to help move either big stuff or lots of stuff do happen, but I only say yes if it's someone I am close to, or someone I can hit up for a different favor in the future.

I don't lend my truck out, because my truck = my livelihood.  'nuff said.

OK I did lend my truck out one time back in 2005.  It was a brand new Chevy; I'd had it less than a week.  At that time, Chevys didn't come with top edge guards for the bed (I think the new ones do).  My friend at the time and his wife wanted to borrow it to pick up a Little Tikes playset they had found cheap online.

So....... did they drop the tailgate like normal people to load up the playset?  No.  They picked it up, OUT OF A SANDBOX, and slid it across the top edge of the bed.  Both sides.  Scratched the *expletive deleted*ck out of the paint.  I had bed guards on order that would thankfully cover up the scratches, and I told them if that were not the case that they'd both be paying to have the bed repainted.

Never again.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »
Hanged and shot, or shot and hanged ... can't figure which should come first  >:D

Shoot 'em, then hang 'em, then burn 'em.

And +1 on what the heck are "Fish People"?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
Is the Bishop related to the Governor?

The moon rises on the third night. The catfish shall be King again.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »
I've long since disassociated myself with anyone who would give me an enviro-weenie speech about owning a big gas-guzzling truck.

Requests for me to help move either big stuff or lots of stuff do happen, but I only say yes if it's someone I am close to, or someone I can hit up for a different favor in the future.

I don't lend my truck out, because my truck = my livelihood.  'nuff said.

OK I did lend my truck out one time back in 2005.  It was a brand new Chevy; I'd had it less than a week.  At that time, Chevys didn't come with top edge guards for the bed (I think the new ones do).  My friend at the time and his wife wanted to borrow it to pick up a Little Tikes playset they had found cheap online.

So....... did they drop the tailgate like normal people to load up the playset?  No.  They picked it up, OUT OF A SANDBOX, and slid it across the top edge of the bed.  Both sides.  Scratched the *expletive deleted* out of the paint.  I had bed guards on order that would thankfully cover up the scratches, and I told them if that were not the case that they'd both be paying to have the bed repainted.

Never again.

This is why I don't loan out my stuff. I just don't do it anymore, for anyone, for anything I own that I actually care about getting back or getting back in one piece.

I was taught you treat other peoples things nicer then your own, on account of them being nice enough to loan it to you and it not being yours to treat however you want. Apparently that's a rare thought.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
I think I found it:

"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
Fish people? Bishop? Huh wha?

I bet he is referring to his former church.  Fish people equaling Christians from the ancient ichthys symbol.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
I don't understand why most people even own pickup trucks. They're ugly, uncomfortable, anything stored in the bed is prone to stealing, very poor fuel mileage, awful handling, poor ride quality, mediocre offroad use, expensive, yet fall apart very easily, and take up way too much space for polite driving and parking. Do they offer any redeeming driving quality?

The amount of people who actually make a living ranching/farming is, what? ...<1% of the population. Why are these useless vehicles so socially popular to buy? How did this STATUS SYMBOL ever get started?

[popcorn]
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!