Author Topic: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?  (Read 29850 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
I own a pickup because I am 6'6" and anything smaller than an f150 is awfully cramped
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »
I don't understand why most people even own pickup trucks. They're ugly, uncomfortable, anything stored in the bed is prone to stealing, very poor fuel mileage, awful handling, poor ride quality, mediocre offroad use, expensive, yet fall apart very easily, and take up way too much space for polite driving and parking. Do they offer any redeeming driving quality?

I drive a truck because I'm a man who's got *expletive deleted*it to get done.

My chevy has EXCELLENT ride quality, is very comfortable, and has great handling and has been fairly reliable other than the transmission. And it ain't ugly by any shot. Easy to work on, very comfortable for a guy my size (I ain't the midget they design econoboxes for).

And *expletive deleted*ck polite driving. I want to be bigger than other vehicles because other drivers are *expletive deleted*ing CRAZY and I prefer sitting above traffic. I cannot fathom why anyone buys a car, they are inferior other than fuel economy. Low to the ground, horrible to get in and out, very cramped, hard as hell to work on.

Can your car haul a yard of masonary sand, or a half ton of bricks, or pull a trailer and tractor, or haul a fridge and stove? Oh, wait, it can't!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
I usually tell folks that Uhaul rents them very cheap for local useage.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 10:24:49 PM »
The only car I ever owned was my Mustang in High School. Since then just trucks and SUVs and I don't think I'll ever own anything else. Besides the utility factor, they're way easier for someone my size to get in and out of. Whenever I get stuck driving the Ford Focus at work, I feel like a contortion artist getting in and out of the thing, plus i never fail to bang my head on the door frame.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
I like love my pickup assault vehicle.  Big trucks are the best.  It needs more power though, I'm thinking supercharger :)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
I like love my pickup assault vehicle.  Big trucks are the best.  It needs more power though, I'm thinking supercharger :)

It will always need more power. Such is the Law of Manhood =D

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 10:54:50 PM »
It will always need more power. Such is the Law of Manhood =D
More power, or a rebuilt for strength transmission, then more power, then a rebuild, then more power...

Hmm...6.2L and a supercharger...yum.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

My pickup truck has a supercharger. >:D

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »
You really don't know how many friends you have until you buy a Pickup Truck!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »
My F150 ecoboost with the turbo has excellent ride quality and power at speed.  Also, most new pickups are getting around 20 MPG.  Mine has a full size back seat also.

I don't use mine for work too much, but when in traffic I can see over every damn car on the road and those behind me can stare at my tail gate.   =D

Also, down here in a smaller town where most work in or support chemical plants, households without trucks or SUVs are in the minority.  There ain't no dang compact car parking here.  Enviro weenies generally keep their mouth shut.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 11:39:21 PM »
There ain't no dang compact car parking here.  Enviro weenies generally keep their mouth shut.

It's funny, the way I tell pickup friendly towns here in CA is by parking space size. Where I live, all the freakin' parking spots are tiny and even carefully parking my F250 will get my tires on both lines for my space. When I go to my folks and go to Walmart or Lowes or wherever, it's all luxurious parking with lots of room to spare on either side of my truck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 11:52:54 PM »
I must live in the worlds politest neighborhood. Nobody has ever asked to borrow my pickup or even dared to lecture me about the environment.  >:D

Oh, and mine's turbocharged. Neener.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 12:39:59 AM »
I must live in the worlds politest neighborhood. Nobody has ever asked to borrow my pickup or even dared to lecture me about the environment.  >:D

Oh, and mine's turbocharged. Neener.

Yeah, well so's mine....  Neener neener.

I haven't had too many people ask to borrow it, most of my friends either have trucks or don't have a need for one.   

And I bought it because after we bought a house, there are too many things that we have done that really need a truck, and I got tired of driving an hour each way to borrow my father-in-laws truck. 

My responses generally fall into two categories when asked if someone can borrow my truck.  "What the hell are you thinking?" (the majority of the time, since they're casual acquaintances at best) or "Of course, what can I help you with?" (normally reserved for good friends whom I've offered to help out if they ever have a need).

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
@Avenger

LOL, I think our definitions of "good" handling are vastly different. Vastly. Different.

A truck with good handling.  :rofl:
You crack me up.
So when it wallows through the curves, it does so smoothly and consistently.  :rofl:
When it goes around a skid pad or on ramp, its able to to hit a whopping 0.5g  :laugh:

So Mr Man, how many times a week do you haul gravel, lumber, brick, appliances, and tow trailers? From your description, I take it you are a contractor and use your truck every day for work. Confirm or admit BS.

In real life, contractors use vans, because they don't want their good tools stolen from the back of a truck. In real life, whenever I see a pickup, they are pristine. The beds are never scratched and always empty. In real life, most people use them for commuting. Trucks are status symbols for people who like to fit in, but don't care one bit about driving or working.

Why would anyone want to compromise the great driving dynamics of a good sportscar, just to have a utility / truck that might haul something 3-6 times a year. That sounds like an awful compromise. Renting some crappy truck is like $18/hr. Far cheaper to do that every time than to buy such a useless truck for $20-40k. The majority of places that sell bulk material, deliver for free, in their dedicated business truck that is beat all to Sheol.

Everyday I drive to work, my car puts a smile on my face from ear to ear. Yee haw. What a great way to start work.

And *expletive deleted* polite driving.
You are self identifying as not belonging in a armed polite civil society.  :police:
You want to safely stand out from the world. Therefore you bought a truck just... like... every... body else.  :facepalm:

You make this too easy.  =D
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »
These were the Fish People, too.   ;/   Often I did help people if they asked nice, or more often I just volunteered.  One young couple about my age with two little kids I must have helped move six times in two years.

And after two years of helping folks move, hauling wood, and retrieving road-kill elk in the middle of -35 degree nights, the self-appointed bishop told me I wasn't worth having around  :facepalm:

Fish people = Deep Ones and the bishop would be for the Esoteric Order of Dagon?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
I usually tell folks that Uhaul rents them very cheap for local useage.

+1

Since most of the population lives in urban areas, rental vehicles of all sorts abound - and not just at U-Haul.

Since the advent of Home Depot and Lowes, rental pick-ups for around $25/day and 100 miles/day has been pretty much the norm.  Sure, you will be driving a rolling billboard, but which is more important to you, getting your stuff from Point A to Point B or how you look doing it?

I have never owned a pick-up.  Several peope who count me as a good friend do own pick-ups.  I have never asked them for the use of their truck.  I was chewed out a couple of months ago by one truck owner when they heard I had rented a U-Haul pick-up.  On the extremely rare occassion that I am in need of a tool that I do not own (and have not hired a workman to perform the work) and am not sure how to properly operate, I will arrange to rent one after asking a friend who does know how to operate it to come teach/supervise me.  I always offer to pay - if not wages then mileage and a meal.  Sometimes they tell me not to rent - they will bring theirs.

Yes, there is some small satisfaction from being in the minority.  That is offset by being able to maintain friends.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »
@Avenger

LOL, I think our definitions of "good" handling are vastly different. Vastly. Different.

You crack me up.
So when it wallows through the curves, it does so smoothly and consistently.  :rofl:
When it goes around a skid pad or on ramp, its able to to hit a whopping 0.5g  :laugh:

So Mr Man, how many times a week do you haul gravel, lumber, brick, appliances, and tow trailers? From your description, I take it you are a contractor and use your truck every day for work. Confirm or admit BS.

In real life, contractors use vans, because they don't want their good tools stolen from the back of a truck. In real life, whenever I see a pickup, they are pristine. The beds are never scratched and always empty. In real life, most people use them for commuting. Trucks are status symbols for people who like to fit in, but don't care one bit about driving or working.

Why would anyone want to compromise the great driving dynamics of a good sportscar, just to have a utility / truck that might haul something 3-6 times a year. That sounds like an awful compromise. Renting some crappy truck is like $18/hr. Far cheaper to do that every time than to buy such a useless truck for $20-40k. The majority of places that sell bulk material, deliver for free, in their dedicated business truck that is beat all to Sheol.

Everyday I drive to work, my car puts a smile on my face from ear to ear. Yee haw. What a great way to start work.
You are self identifying as not belonging in a armed polite civil society.  :police:
You want to safely stand out from the world. Therefore you bought a truck just... like... every... body else.  :facepalm:

A friend at work had an Audi.  He said it wasn't as great a drive as you would think.  Traded it in for a small SUV. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
When you are stuck in traffic and can't see over the Miata in front of you, remember that I am laughing.   =D

Yes, 1/2 ton trucks drive pretty dang good these days, have a lot of get up and go, good handling, and power.  Also, I don't like having a car wrapped around me.  I like having room inside the cab.

Another advantage:  If I see a big rock or piece of tire on the road, I have the option of going over it as well as around it.  Your little sports car would take damage. 

birdman

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
@Avenger

You crack me up.

My truck pulls 0.7-0.8g, and I use it for hauling AND off-roading.

True, no turbo or supercharger yet...but 12" of reinforced suspension travel and triple bypass shocks stock is REALLY nice.  (supercrew raptor)

And you are right drew, I wouldn't give up a sportscar for it..,which is why it was prpurchased after the GTR.  

Or to quote my dad "buy the toys before you get married, after that, it's a committee decision"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »
Probably for the same reason that people think other people are useful...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »

Well, I own a boat and camper, good luck pulling that with a sports car. A truck fits my hobbies a lot better than a sports car, I couldn't imagine a muddy wound up bird dog in a sports car. Actually I can, I used to own a Mustang Convertible and one fall my truck at the time had a head failure and with 275k on the clock it wasn't worth fixing so I hunted out of the car that fall. Dead deer do not fit in trunks and a wet muddy dog will cover everything whith mud even it you cover the entire back seat with a blanket.

I'll probably never go back to a car for my vehicle.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
You bought a truck so that you could haul my stuff for me.

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
I don't understand why most people even own pickup trucks. They're ugly, uncomfortable, anything stored in the bed is prone to stealing, very poor fuel mileage, awful handling, poor ride quality, mediocre offroad use, expensive, yet fall apart very easily, and take up way too much space for polite driving and parking. Do they offer any redeeming driving quality?

The amount of people who actually make a living ranching/farming is, what? ...<1% of the population. Why are these useless vehicles so socially popular to buy? How did this STATUS SYMBOL ever get started?

[popcorn]

I contend that as the full-size car became unpalatable from the combination of regulations and just being built like crap, people who would have bought a full-size buy pickups instead.

I am not a truck person. I don't like driving them and won't unless I have to. However, I acknowledge their utility and when economic circumstances allow (not now) I try to keep a beater around. These are usually rough enough that it doesn't matter what happens to them so I don't mind loaning them out, which I have found is a hazard of owning a truck. I'll take the hazard of loaning out a truck over the other common hazard of owning a truck as shown by a bumper sticker I saw one day which said "YES, it's my truck. NO, I won't help you move."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
You bought a truck so that you could haul my stuff for me.

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]

1-800-789-3638

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
1-800-789-3638

I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G