Author Topic: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?  (Read 29818 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Why do people think a truck is something that can be borrowed?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
I have been known to impose on friends with trucks, but they know it's worth their time.  I don't do it often, and when I do they're guaranteed a steak dinner and they know then can call on me if they need any help.

Yeah, I'm all unmanly - I have a car and a CUV.  :P
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
I contend that as the full-size car became unpalatable from the combination of regulations and just being built like crap, people who would have bought a full-size buy pickups instead.

This.  Especially WRT the full sized station wagon.  Thank CAFE and a few other things.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
I have been known to impose on friends with trucks, but they know it's worth their time.  I don't do it often, and when I do they're guaranteed a steak dinner and they know then can call on me if they need any help.

Yeah, I'm all unmanly - I have a car and a CUV.  :P
My price is usually something single malt and at least 18 years old.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »
Fish people = Deep Ones and the bishop would be for the Esoteric Order of Dagon?

Oh, crap.  I now have something in common with freakazoid.   :lol:

I got the whole "friend with truck" experience in college.  My vehicle there was a 80's Nissan 4-banger toy truck, and it seemed every semester I had friends calling me up, asking me to help 'em move.  Dorm A to Dorm B, Dorm C to off-campus apartment D, apartment D to house E. ;/  "Hey, can you help me pick up this great couch I found at a garage sale?  I already bought it and figured you could help me get it to my place!"

Nowadays, I've got most folks trained that know me.  Make it worth my while and infrequent in the asking, and I'll help you out with my truck.  But no one drives it but me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
I contend that as the full-size car became unpalatable from the combination of regulations and just being built like crap, people who would have bought a full-size buy pickups instead.

I am not a truck person. I don't like driving them and won't unless I have to. However, I acknowledge their utility and when economic circumstances allow (not now) I try to keep a beater around. These are usually rough enough that it doesn't matter what happens to them so I don't mind loaning them out, which I have found is a hazard of owning a truck. I'll take the hazard of loaning out a truck over the other common hazard of owning a truck as shown by a bumper sticker I saw one day which said "YES, it's my truck. NO, I won't help you move."
I would say those people are buying mid-size and large SUV's instead of large cars.  Why buy a station wagon when you can get a Suburban or Excursion.  The mileage is probably not much different and you get a tougher chasis and more towing capability and better ground clearance.  You also don't have to bend over to get into it.

IMO, once you get used to sitting up higher with a better view of the road, it is hard to go back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »
I don't understand why most people even own pickup trucks. They're ugly, uncomfortable, anything stored in the bed is prone to stealing, very poor fuel mileage, awful handling, poor ride quality, mediocre offroad use, expensive, yet fall apart very easily, and take up way too much space for polite driving and parking. Do they offer any redeeming driving quality?

The amount of people who actually make a living ranching/farming is, what? ...<1% of the population. Why are these useless vehicles so socially popular to buy? How did this STATUS SYMBOL ever get started?

[popcorn]

You have to live it.

I own a 1988 Jeep Cherokee (SUV) and a 1988 Jeep Comanche (PU). The pickup is currently not running. There isn't a week that goes by when I don't encounter some task that the Cherokee, however capable and flexible it is, just can't handle nearly as well as the Comanche could.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
I don't understand why most people even own pickup trucks. They're ugly, uncomfortable, anything stored in the bed is prone to stealing, very poor fuel mileage, awful handling, poor ride quality, mediocre offroad use, expensive, yet fall apart very easily, and take up way too much space for polite driving and parking. Do they offer any redeeming driving quality?

The amount of people who actually make a living ranching/farming is, what? ...<1% of the population. Why are these useless vehicles so socially popular to buy? How did this STATUS SYMBOL ever get started?

[popcorn]

Best justification for owning/driving pickups? Because I want to, and I can. :P
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
Owning a full-size pickup truck does have other advantages.  

Often, if someone I know has something big or heavy that they want to get rid of, they call me first because they know I can come get it, soon, and without any help or hassle.  I've acquired some nice furniture over the years this way.

Last spring, a buddy called me up and said he found two used rifle safes for sale, and that if we could use my truck, he'd buy the second one for me!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
@Avenger

LOL, I think our definitions of "good" handling are vastly different. Vastly. Different.

A truck with good handling.  :rofl:
You crack me up.
So when it wallows through the curves, it does so smoothly and consistently.  :rofl:
When it goes around a skid pad or on ramp, its able to to hit a whopping 0.5g  :laugh:

Mine doesn't "wallow" through curves in any manner. This ain't a rust bucket from the '70s with a wheezing engine.

So Mr Man, how many times a week do you haul gravel, lumber, brick, appliances, and tow trailers? From your description, I take it you are a contractor and use your truck every day for work. Confirm or admit BS.

I'm not a contractor but I do a lot of contractor duties. In fact, it's pretty much weekly I'm hauling something, especially given that I'm working with my father on remodeling a house he's going to be renting out.

In real life, contractors use vans, because they don't want their good tools stolen from the back of a truck. In real life, whenever I see a pickup, they are pristine. The beds are never scratched and always empty. In real life, most people use them for commuting. Trucks are status symbols for people who like to fit in, but don't care one bit about driving or working.

Lemme call up some of my buddies and tell them they aren't real life contracters because down here, contracters use both vans and pickups. Plumbing and HVAC seem to favor vans while GCs, painters, and landscapers favor trucks. Service trucks are almost exclusively trucks. I've got enough experience with vans to know I never want to own one again because turning wrenches on them SUCKS.

Why would anyone want to compromise the great driving dynamics of a good sportscar, just to have a utility / truck that might haul something 3-6 times a year. That sounds like an awful compromise. Renting some crappy truck is like $18/hr. Far cheaper to do that every time than to buy such a useless truck for $20-40k. The majority of places that sell bulk material, deliver for free, in their dedicated business truck that is beat all to Sheol.

I haul a lot more than 3-6 times a year. But then again, I've got work to do. My truck didn't cost me 20k, it cost 12k and isn't "useless" by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't beat my truck to *expletive deleted*it like company trucks get abused. A beat to crap truck doesn't mean it's been worked hard, it means it'[s been abused by whoever is using it.

Also, the road I live on would beat the "finely tuned suspension" of a sportscar to *expletive deleted*it very quickly...I live out in the real country, and I'm not a t-shirt redneck. There's work to be done from hauling firewood to getting diesel from town for the tractor and getting building materials.

Everyday I drive to work, my car puts a smile on my face from ear to ear. Yee haw. What a great way to start work.

Because, you know, there is no possible way driving a truck could bring a smile to my face...

You are self identifying as not belonging in a armed polite civil society.  :police:
You want to safely stand out from the world. Therefore you bought a truck just... like... every... body else.  :facepalm:

I'm not like everybody else. I have never needed to "stand out" or belong to a group in any way. I make my own way in this world.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
I bet he is referring to his former church.  Fish people equaling Christians from the ancient ichthys symbol.

This, although in retrospect it was more of a cult  =(

I am the One Percent  :P   >:D

Actually, I started out wanting something to carry a camper.  Then I traded the camper for a camper trailer, and used the pickup for hauling chainsaws, other tools, and gas cans.  How do you like hauling gas cans in a car  ???  ;/

I've got three vehicles right now: and old full size SUV, a very old full size pickup, and a station wagon car.  After some cramped long drives, we're thinking of exchanging the gas mileage of the car for the room of another newer SUV ...  =|

Where I've lived most of my life, a car is dang near worthless :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
@Avenger

LOL, I think our definitions of "good" handling are vastly different. Vastly. Different.

A truck with good handling.  :rofl:
You crack me up.
So when it wallows through the curves, it does so smoothly and consistently.  :rofl:
When it goes around a skid pad or on ramp, its able to to hit a whopping 0.5g  :laugh:

So Mr Man, how many times a week do you haul gravel, lumber, brick, appliances, and tow trailers? From your description, I take it you are a contractor and use your truck every day for work. Confirm or admit BS.

In real life, contractors use vans, because they don't want their good tools stolen from the back of a truck. In real life, whenever I see a pickup, they are pristine. The beds are never scratched and always empty. In real life, most people use them for commuting. Trucks are status symbols for people who like to fit in, but don't care one bit about driving or working.

Why would anyone want to compromise the great driving dynamics of a good sportscar, just to have a utility / truck that might haul something 3-6 times a year. That sounds like an awful compromise. Renting some crappy truck is like $18/hr. Far cheaper to do that every time than to buy such a useless truck for $20-40k. The majority of places that sell bulk material, deliver for free, in their dedicated business truck that is beat all to Sheol.

Everyday I drive to work, my car puts a smile on my face from ear to ear. Yee haw. What a great way to start work.
You are self identifying as not belonging in a armed polite civil society.  :police:
You want to safely stand out from the world. Therefore you bought a truck just... like... every... body else.  :facepalm:

You make this too easy.  =D

Obviously you don't know Avenger very well. Or many of us who own trucks, myself included.

The reasons I own a truck:
1) Because I don't like sitting so low on the road that I feel like my ass is dragging pavement. And I like to be able to see what's going on. Although my truck is smaller than what a lot of these guys drive, I can still drive it at night without headlights directly in my eyes.
2) Because I'm a very independent person and I dislike having to ask anyone to borrow anything or do anything for me. I've owned my truck for ten years and it's worth every penny I paid for it, for that alone.
3) Because I DO use it to haul things - landscaping stuff, furniture I've bought or sold, camping gear, shooting gear, fishing gear (I promise you, you do not want a bait bucket to tip over in your trunk), bulk trash items to the dump, the kid's bikes, have helped all three of my kids and multiple friends move, have moved myself, and while I don't haul something every time I drive it, I do have something in the bed about once a week on average, and far more often in the summer.
4) I live on a dirt road that bottoms out after a good rain and stays that way until someone around here (me on one occasion) hauls in a load of sand to fill in the ruts.
5) I get 24/mpg on the highway and about 18 in town. Granted, I don't have a ton of power, but I have what I need and if you know how to run through the gears on a 5-speed, you have sufficient power to pull out into traffic without causing break lights behind you.
6) If I were to have to evacuate (hurricane zone) I can do so far more efficiently than I could with a car - and try finding a buddy with a truck to borrow when everyone's trying to get their essential things to safety.
7) I enjoy driving a truck. If you think they don't ride for crap, don't handle well, and don't look pretty, you clearly haven't spent much time in one. I can't fathom EVER owning a car again. If someone were to hand me the keys to a car, I'd sell it and buy a truck (or an old Jeep). And like most of us on here, I don't give a damn what anyone thinks of me. Sports cars are status symbols. Trucks are useful.

But I'm sure your little sports car doesn't have anything to do with status, Drewtam.  ;)
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »

[popcorn]

Hell, I've got TWO pickups. A long bed 1983 Chevy with 67K miles on it and a 1968 4X4 Kaiser-Jeep M-715 5/4 ton. And, a 4X4 Jeep Cherokee. And no, I don't make my living with either truck. The 83 Chevy and the Cherokee both get in the 20 MPG range. Don't use either truck every day and sometimes not even every week but When I need to haul something The option of going and renting something for the day just simply isn't there, the closest place to do so is a 100 mile round trip. But over the course of the year, I'll haul several big bales of straw, hog feed a couple times a month, firewood a 3-4 times a month during the winter and the wood is sometimes hauled out of places that some piss ant little sports car just couldn't get to. Another benefit of driving a big ole gas guzzling truck is the ability to look down on all those little cars being driven by all those smug, self righteous enviro-weenies busy wetting their pants and soiling the seats of their eco-consious econo-boxes.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
I'm looking for an older Chevy like yours, RKL but finding one for a decent price in decent shape with decent miles is damned hard. Must be because they are so useless!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »

I'm looking for an older Chevy like yours, RKL but finding one for a decent price in decent shape with decent miles is damned hard. Must be because they are so useless!

Nah.  It's just that after they accrue enough miles, they're retired and put out to stud.

=D
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »
Keeping a beater truck around is pretty inexpensive.  My 1995 GMC S1500 is on permanent tags so no licensing fees or taxes other than gas, it gets decent (for a truck) mileage with it's v6, and insurance on it is cheap.  I don't do a lot of miles in it so it gets a yearly oil change whether the miles call for it or not.  Totally worth it to have a truck handy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

Yeah, found a 1985 K20 stepside in the classifieds for $5500  =|

Would really like <= 1980 as they still had the heavy iron txfer case.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
Keeping a beater truck around is pretty inexpensive.  My 1995 GMC S1500 is on permanent tags so no licensing fees or taxes other than gas, it gets decent (for a truck) mileage with it's v6, and insurance on it is cheap.  I don't do a lot of miles in it so it gets a yearly oil change whether the miles call for it or not.  Totally worth it to have a truck handy.

It's also a good way for an urban/suburban person to keep an additional 20+ gallons of gas handy. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Lee

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »

I'm guessing that you're joking or just trying to "stimulate discussion"...but either way, I'll comment.
That pretty much sums up my whole issue with this.  When I first bought it, several people asked my why I "needed" a truck.
I chose a truck because it met my overall needs better than anything else - and because I wanted one.  I don't need to justify that to anyone...not a truck, or an AR15 for that matter.  And especially to people who end up asking me to borrow it when they really need one. I've owned a lot of cars that have qualities different from a truck...some better some worse.  My truck is a midsize, 4 door, 4x4, with a decent sized back seat.  The cap is hinged and locks, and is probably more secure than most cars or vans (shudder).   I'm not in the construction business, but sometimes I need to haul construction materials, or lawn materials, that I never liked hauling in the back of my cars/SUVs.  I also don't like putting dead deer in my trunk or in the back of my SUV.  I like having the ability to hose the bed out.  I never have to carefully arrange paint cans, gas cans, pesticides, or whatnot, after putting down something to protect my seats or trunk.  I can throw wet "stuff" in the back.  I can put a bicycle in there quickly.  I have an old Jeep Wrangler also...probably a better off road vehicle (big maybe), but I would never take my wife, two kids, a dog, and 6 suitcases on a 1000 mile drive...or a one mile drive for that matter.  I put a lot of thought into this vehicle before deciding to buy it.  I also put a lot of money into it as well...before and after buying it.  So it irks me when someone acts like it's an old hammer, and asks me to hand over the keys.  I'm assuming their mindset is that it's a piece of crap that no one would hesitate to loan out.  As I said, I'll gladly help someone out if I can, but I think it takes some special kinda nerve to just ask me for the keys. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

reaLLY?  i am a contractor and only painters drive vans

we like trucks for hauling broken motorcycles too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 07:45:18 PM »

I'm 2nd owner on the old truck. My uncle bought it new in 83 and used it on the farm till about 97-98 when the fuel pump went out. He had another older truck for the beater work and the 83 got parked in the barn. I tried to buy it from him a couple of months before he died but he gave it to me. Cost me about $1K to get it back on the road.

This was the day we pulled it out of the barn for the first time in over 10 years.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »
I'm 2nd owner on the old truck. My uncle bought it new in 83 and used it on the farm till about 97-98 when the fuel pump went out. He had another older truck for the beater work and the 83 got parked in the barn. I tried to buy it from him a couple of months before he died but he gave it to me. Cost me about $1K to get it back on the road.

This was the day we pulled it out of the barn for the first time in over 10 years.

I've got a 1976 GMC C-20, 350 & granny 4-speed.

Paid $1500 for it back in 1996, plus some more for changing out the tires/wheels and some repairs: fuel pump, alt, replace Holly carb with rebuilt quad-jet.

I just wish now it was a 4wd (k-20). 

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »
- and because I wanted one.  I don't need to justify that to anyone...not a truck, or an AR15 for that matter.

Kinda what I was getting at, above. I think drewtam was just screwing around, btw.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »
The main reason that I drive a pickup truck is that a twin-screw diesel is a little bit too big and expensive  :P

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »
I paid $3K for my '88 F-150 Custom 4x4 10 years ago. $300 a year/averaged plus maintenance and consumables worked out pretty well. :cool:

Going to put some work into it and get it painted; then it will be kiddo's first vehicle. 300I6, heavy duty 5 speed ZF S5-42 transmission. Great vehicle for her to learn to drive.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:49:22 PM by grislyatoms »

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
Don't be so solipsistic and turn this personal. This isn't about you. This is about how MUCH do trucks suck, and WHY.

Believe me when I say I have spent plenty of time driving trucks, vans, and SUVs. They really do handle quite awful.

0.8g is really terrible. I mean seriously, Honda Civics from the 1980s did better than that. Yes, this pos:

Even modern trucks wallow through the corners. Thats why people are afraid to drive more than 15mph on an on-ramp. They feel the pig rolling over to its side (wallowing) at any faster speed.
Would you all just pull over and get the piece of junk out of the way? If it (or the driver) can't handle accelerating to highway speeds, then it is not highway capable.

The fact is that <5% of the population lives in remote rural areas. APS over counts that behavior. The fact is that <1% do farming work. And yet we are talking about a vehicle that makes ~14% of the market share.

But I'm sure your little sports car doesn't have anything to do with status, Drewtam.  ;)
Yeah, cause a Miata is a status symbol. pffff  :rofl:

There are 2 answers this board has given on why someone would buy such a useless vehicle.

1- They like it. Not practical argument, but they like the looks, the feel and the social status.

To this I say, ok, sure. Thats an emotional and preference argument. I don't understand it, but I'm not really going to argue against emotional preference. I prefer sportscars. I know they are not practical either, but I love 'em. Soo much fun and I love sportscar racing.

2-
They really do use it; it is very practical, everyday. For real.

On this one I call BS. For the reasons already mentioned. The overwhelming majority of pickup owners do not own them for practical reasons. The majority who say such are self deluded. I wonder if these people even know why they bought it. Hence, the status symbol theory makes the most sense and fits the data.
If it was really practical, the owner would have the financial numbers off the top of his head, because they would be talking about business expensing the truck. And a successful business owner knows his costs to the penny.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!