Author Topic: Why do I do this to myself? (tool kit dreams)  (Read 1415 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Why do I do this to myself? (tool kit dreams)
« on: December 26, 2006, 03:24:29 PM »
I have a Grainger account but use if for stuff like bulk cleaning supplies and such.  Unfortunately, my fingers seem to automatically turn to this page in the catalog every time.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&toolbar=false&CatPage=963

Sigh, would be nice to win the lottery someday.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Why do I do this to myself? (tool kit dreams)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:37:44 PM »
It's not hard to get one of those. 

1.  Become a professional auto mechanic.
2.  Get a job where you have your own assigned bay and an account to purchase tools, toolboxes, etc.
3.  In about twenty years, you will need to replace your toolbox with something newer and larger. 
4.  Take the old tool-box home.

5.  (Optional) Erect a steel building in the back yard, with two long bays, wood-stove, stove that burns old engine oil, bathroom, coffee-maker, utility sink, etc.  Purchase a used lift and other accoutrements. 

Worked for my Daddy.  One additional tip - a tractor and a truck as old as you are will look real good in that garage, if'n they're beat-up enough.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 06:22:23 PM »
Having BTDT I can tell you that box is too tall, too narrow, and too shallow. And the drawers are too thin.

You want a box that is low, wide, and deep, with reasonably thick drawers. Think Snap-On KR1000 series or equivalent. The idea is to have tools laid out so that you can reach right in and grab what you need/want without having to dig, and not so many drawers you can't remember exactly what's where and end up having to look through multiple drawers to find what you're after.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
brad

You just made me shirk realizing how much $$$ I have wrapped up in my tool box and tools inside it. Built it over the years but wow that is a ton of cash invested in my tools. Most of my tools are craftsman, klien or lisle.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 02:26:47 AM »
Don't feel bad. My little brother buys MAC tool IIRC, he got him a custom MAC toolbox for work. The BOX cost $20,000  shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:26:46 AM »
I have a Grainger account but use if for stuff like bulk cleaning supplies and such.  Unfortunately, my fingers seem to automatically turn to this page in the catalog every time.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&toolbar=false&CatPage=963

Sigh, would be nice to win the lottery someday.

Brad

Start saving for it.  Set aside a certain amount out of each payday for your goal.  Stick it in a high yield savings account, like Ing Direct, so that it works for itself towards your goal.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 04:28:43 AM »
I suggest that you never get on a Snap-on truck....
Brian
<><
:)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:38:19 AM »
i know a Snap On truck driver.

He also drives a Dodge Viper...

thar's gold in them tools.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 08:59:39 AM »
I suggest that you never get on a Snap-on truck....

I did once.  The doctor said that, with lots of therapy, I may yet recover.  They even gave me this nice muzzle so I won't bite people.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB