Author Topic: Why does capitalism not want me to watch the Dodgers?  (Read 1183 times)

mr.v.

Why does capitalism not want me to watch the Dodgers?
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »
Maybe someone can answer this...

I'm a dodger fan, but I work in a lab when pretty much every dodger game is on. I'm not going to be able to get my P.I. to approve of a cable subscription so I can watch Fox Sports (or a T.V. for that matter smiley. So the answer? MLB apparently has a stream that you can watch all the games. "AWESOME," I said to myself...except that it's blacked-out for IPs originating in LA.

Anonymous proxy servers rarely work well for anything other than standard port 80 fare and are, for the most part, too slow to stream video anyway.

It's blacked out. I'm guessing it's blacked out, so that Fox Sports Net can force people to watch the game through them as opposed to MLB.com because of contracts with MLB etc. So why, if capitalism is so great, do the folks at Fox Sports Net not also have a stream for the thousands of people (note that this situation may actually just be me...but don't let that taint this reasoning smiley who want to, but are unable to be exposed to the wonderful world of commercial advertising by Dodger brand loyalty?

They're missing me! I do want to know if Snicker's really satisfies!...I do care how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Why, then, is capitalism not working? Did it break somewhere?

Where's Ayn Rand when you need her. She'd never stand for this kind of crap.

CatsDieNow

• friend
Re: Why does capitalism not want me to watch the Dodgers?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:49:38 AM »
Theoretically, it's to protect the local advertisers.   rolleyes  Address all complaints to Bud Selig.

I imagine you are not just blacked out for the Dodgers - I'd guess you are blacked out for all California teams.  I know people in Iowa are considered local market for six different teams.  Those blackouts apply during travel, too.  So when my Cubbies come here to DFW to play the Rangers, I'd be blacked out.

MLB.tv is crap.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:55:56 AM »
probably the only business that still operates that is managed worse than the post office,is mlb.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 05:19:43 AM »
It's a LUDICROUS system. There's absolutely no solid sense for it.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 05:58:36 AM »
MLB just doesn't understand that they can ultimately make more money if they have more people watching their games.  It is sad that they don't have more respect and consideration for the fans. 

That said, have you ever tried using a Slingbox?  It is a nifty device that allows you to watch content on your television or DVR on just about any computer with a broadband connection.  I don't know if it would be kosher with your company's IT policies, but it is pretty sweet if you can. 

http://us.slingmedia.com/page/home
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:25:51 PM »
It's payback for all the times that FOX pre-empts the Simpsons for worthless dreck like the Superbowl, and all the times that KMOX used to cut short Rush Limbaugh for the pre-pre-pre-game show before a Cardinals game. 

No sympathy here.

Professional sports = EVIL.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife