Author Topic: Auto Power inverters = better for cell?  (Read 1357 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Auto Power inverters = better for cell?
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:57:49 AM »
Question for y'all-

I know that charging a cell with an car charger is not as good as charging at home- the auto is a quick charge, vs the home which is a trickle charge which is better for the cell battery-

What if you buy a power inverter for the car?

Something like this:
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=101296
One day at a time.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:17:48 AM »
I don't think either is BETTER: just that the 120 V. AC charge is QUICKER than the 12 V. DC charge.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 04:41:40 AM »
This is the first time I've ever heard of rapid chargers being bad for the batteries...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 04:51:36 AM »
Dunno if it's still applicable since my experience with different types of chargers in the RC world was nearly 20 years ago, but back then, the best charge came from a slow or trickle charge.  However, I don't recall quick charging to be bad per se, just not as full a charge as a slow one.  Back then, I used a peak charger which quick charged up to a point near 100%, then trickled the rest.  This was supposed to be the best compromise between speed and full charge.

I'm sure things have changed since then.

Chris

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:30:42 AM »
Fast charging is extremely bad for NiCads; it's much less bad for NiMH batteries and the Lithium ion cells everything has nowadays are nearly immune.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 09:47:28 AM »
The Radio Shack guy told me my batteries will last much longer if I charge them from 120 and not the car. I used to leave my cell plugged into the car all the time and was eating batteries about once a year. Since I started charging them on the house juice I've had the same battery for at least 4 years now.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 02:06:27 PM »
In my experience a DC/DC charger is built much cheaper than the AC charger provided with the phone, and may not provide enough voltage for a good charge.

By going with an inverter, you have far more voltage regulation in there.