Author Topic: Who uses Chrome?  (Read 872 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Who uses Chrome?
« on: August 30, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »
If you do, you might want to rethink that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/08/28/stop-using-google-chrome-on-windows-10-android-and-apple-iphones-ipads-and-macs/

Bottom line -- Chrome isn't secure, and it lags behind ... well,, everybody else in protections against tracking.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Who uses Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »
I use it on my work PC, and on my chromebook obviously.  On my home PC I use Edge now and sometimes Brave, and don't even have Chrome installed.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »
I use it on my work PC, and on my chromebook obviously.  On my home PC I use Edge now and sometimes Brave, and don't even have Chrome installed.

Both Edge and Brave are chromium based.

Chromium is a free and open-source codebase for a web browser, principally developed and maintained by Google. Google uses the code to make its Chrome web browser, which has additional features. The Chromium codebase is widely used. Microsoft Edge, Opera, and many other browsers are based on the code
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 02:20:24 PM »
Both Edge and Brave are chromium based.

So is the new Firefox, but Mozilla offers far better tracking protections than Google's Chrome browser.

The issue isn't the underlying Chromium browser engine, the issue is Google's implementation of it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 05:07:39 PM »
I rotate through Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, mostly because campus standards are on a flavor-of-the-month basis and there's no telling what will or won't work with a particular campus site.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 05:12:45 PM »
I rotate through Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, mostly because campus standards are on a flavor-of-the-month basis and there's no telling what will or won't work with a particular campus site.

So much for there being "standards" that all web sites and browsers should adhere to.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 06:00:29 PM »
As far as google is concerned, tracking is a feature.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »
If you do, you might want to rethink that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/08/28/stop-using-google-chrome-on-windows-10-android-and-apple-iphones-ipads-and-macs/

Bottom line -- Chrome isn't secure, and it lags behind ... well,, everybody else in protections against tracking.

Not unless I can't avoid it.  Firefox or Brave.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »
As far as google is concerned, tracking is a feature.

Therein lies the problem.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 10:08:25 PM »
Installed it (recommended by my health insurance plan, along with Edge and Firefox) and it just seemed like everything I did had some connection / enhancement related to Chrome, with some popups impossible to get rid of without being forced to enjoy that enhancement.

I'm sure there were elegant solutions to these problems, but I finally said pisonit and uninstalled it. I don't have time or inclination to coitus around with crap.

I started using nice simple Brave, and it works even with my health insurance plan's arrogant insistence on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  I usually start browsing with IE11 because I still like its skin and when I get a "not supported" message, I xfer the URL to Brave.

I swan, this all looks so similar to the old "Price Fixing" of yarn ago, except it's "Browser Fixing." Or like three of the North Side gangs getting together to squeeze out all the South Side gangs. Then two of the North Side gangs get together to squeeze out the third.  Then... MS buys the winner of that struggle. =D :roffle:

Business is business, after all.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:56:58 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 07:33:19 AM »
So much for there being "standards" that all web sites and browsers should adhere to.

There are. But any more that's absolutely baseline basic crap. I use a series of customer-based tools here at the office that work best with Firefox or Chrome; IE and Edge are not supported. But I still use Explorer the one tool because it still works and I find it to be a lot easier to deal with than our version of Firefox, which is on a sequestered network and, because of that, is constantly popping up messages such as

"I CAN'T CONNECT TO UPDATE! UPDATE ME! I'M OUT OF DATE! YOU'LL DIE IF YOU DON'T UPDATE ME RIGHT NOW!!!"

interspersed with

"I'M NOT YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER! DON'T YOU LOVE ME? WHY WON'T YOU MAKE ME YOUR DEFAULT? JUST CLICK HERE TO SHOW ME HOW MUCH YOU LOVE ME! CLICK, YOU *expletive deleted*ing PRICK!"

Maybe not that bad, but holy hell it's annoying.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 04:02:38 PM »
K Frame said, "But I still use Explorer the one tool because it still works and I find it to be a lot easier to deal with than our version of Firefox"

Holy cow.  I'm not the only one!  Let's form a support group!

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »
I've pretty much "given up" in the great Browser Wars of the 2020s.
My laptop has on it, in order of usage: Brave, Chrome, FireFox, and (SPIT!) MS Edge. I use Thunderbird for ALL my emailing needs. Text is a mix of FacistBook Messenger and MS "Your Phone".
My Android phone (Moto z4) uses Brave and Chrome browsers and Google Gmail for what little email I ever do on it. FacistBook Messenger handles my FB and SMS messaging duties.

Brave and Firefox are my favorite browsers. I liked Firefox the best but had performance issues with it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!