Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited  (Read 547 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Kindle Unlimited
« on: September 01, 2021, 07:07:43 PM »
So... What are you guys liking? Last read was a bunch of Peter Nealen... And a mil-sf thing called Strange Company by Nick Cole...

(read, as in finished. not gonna talk about "tested, and chucked...")
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Kindle Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 07:32:52 PM »
Recently finished Taylor Anderson's "Destroyermen" series, the first trilogy in Joshua Dalezelle's "Black Fleet" series, Kurt Schlichter's latest Kelly Turnbull book, and Marko Kloos's latest "Palladium Wars" book.

Currently reading Mark Levin's "American Marxism" and next in the queue is CS Lewis' Space Trilogy.

In dead tree, I'm currently reading the Idaho Forage Handbook and a couple of German language books that a cousin sent me by a German virologist on the covid hysteria.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 09:39:45 AM »
I just finished a REALLY good re-examination of the Battle of Isandlwana -- How Can Man Die Better: The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed.

It really turns on its head the offical British military version of the battle and really chunks the hell out of a lot of Donald Morris' assumptions and assertions about the battle as laid out in The Washing of the Spears.

Now I'm reading another James Lee Burke book in his Dave Robichaux series. Burke is an absolutely incredible writer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 09:53:21 AM »
Are y'all liking much of the "read for free" books/authors?
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 09:57:35 AM »
Have you joined Book Gorilla or one of the other aggregators?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:32 AM »
Are y'all liking much of the "read for free" books/authors?

I don't have kindle unlimited, just a regular kindle account, but I pretty much have no interest in the commie pinko sjw lgbtqrswz feminazi pumpkin spice eating authors that are most promoted on kindle. The Amazon digital credits are now good for, instead of any digital content, only promoted content, and I don't like any of it. I ignore all offers of digital credit there now. I'd rather have my next day shipping than a digital credit for choosing Amazon Day delivery since the digital credit is useless to me.

I'll reevaluate if they ever start promoting guys like Devonai. I'm not sure if they've even ever promoted the Longmire books, which are very popular (tangent - the newest Longmire book drops this month).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Oh, wait. I don't have unlimited either.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »
Now I'm reading another James Lee Burke book in his Dave Robichaux series. Burke is an absolutely incredible writer.

Agreed.  He is on par with Michael Connelly and his Harry Bosch novels.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »
Kindle Unlimited is about $10-13/month (i dismember), and  you can check out 10 books at a time, Authors are paid by page read, not by just a purchase. Seems to work out okay for 'em.

I have also seen a more than a little 1970s-1980s pulp from the slush piles being revisited there... Some of it is fun - some of it is... not.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
I finished #12 in Craig Alanson's Expeditionary Force series.  I thought the story was entertaining.  A few of the books had some slow parts.  Pretty good humor at times. 

Mostly been rereading stuff over the last several months.  StarShip Troopers is a very good read.  Eric Flint's Boundary Series. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »
I'll reevaluate if they ever start promoting guys like Devonai.

God Amazon helps those who help themselves.  Those tagged by the 'Zon for special promotion hardly seem to need the help.

For what it's worth, all of my books are in Kindle Unlimited, which seems to be a good choice for sci-fi as compared to other genres which benefit more from being non-exclusive to Amazon.  60% of my royalties come from Kindle Unlimited, which as other sci-fi authors have lamented, seems to be completely absent despite their listing on other sites like Ingram or B&N.  For me, it's a win-win.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 11:11:27 PM »
I had to look. It seems most of the books on my kindle are some guy named David.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 12:19:15 AM »
God Amazon helps those who help themselves.  Those tagged by the 'Zon for special promotion hardly seem to need the help.

For what it's worth, all of my books are in Kindle Unlimited, which seems to be a good choice for sci-fi as compared to other genres which benefit more from being non-exclusive to Amazon.  60% of my royalties come from Kindle Unlimited, which as other sci-fi authors have lamented, seems to be completely absent despite their listing on other sites like Ingram or B&N.  For me, it's a win-win.
I need to get back to your books.  I got the first one a long time ago and after I finally read it, the follow on books were out of print.  I didn't have a Kindle at the time (that is my excuse).   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 11:48:30 AM »
Please do!  The Reckless Faith Series is up to five books.  I also have a stand-alone novel called Dun Ringill, not connected to the series.  It's the same writing style, but the action is limited to one planet.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!