Author Topic: a verse i never heard before  (Read 7814 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: a verse i never heard before
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
When I was in grade school, I was a member of a subversive organization that made us privy to that part - (Cub Scouts)

The Public School Music Teacher told us about it, too, but he wasn't nuthin' but a dirty hippie.  ;/
7-11 was a part time job.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
I've seen it in print several times before... but never heard it sung.  Quite a beautiful rendition for being a capella  and rather spontaneous.  Sounds sappy, but it choked me up a bit.

I wish someone at a baseball game would go on to that verse.

Of course, nowadays that would probably be a combination hate crime, 1st amendment violation and terroristic attack. :'(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 05:19:48 PM »
What got to me was not that a former Marine knew the words and was brave enough to sing them, but rather, when the young woman behind him looked around, scratched herself, and stood. That's a bit of courage exhibited by an everyday citizen. That encourages me.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:40:42 PM »
What got to me was not that a former Marine knew the words and was brave enough to sing them, but rather, when the young woman behind him looked around, scratched herself, and stood. That's a bit of courage exhibited by an everyday citizen. That encourages me.

TC

i think she saw others out of camera doing it first.  also, doesn't the law state that all americans must stand and put their hand over their heart (unless in uniform), when the star spangled banner is played with a flag displayed?

it still amazes me that we didn't have an official national anthem until 1931!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 09:06:12 PM »
The National Anthem surely is a tough one to sing well.

I knew there were more verses than the first.  I think mix & matching verses in our patriotic songs to be something we ought to take up for several reasons, familiarity being the #1 on the list.

For instance, Ray Charles preferred to start with the third verse of America:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUjr8EVgBg&feature=related
http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/americathebeautiful.html

Of course my favorite, The Battle Hymn of the Republic, has the best lines after the first verse:

Judy Garland doing three verses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Xz7WV_qJs

Of course, the author of the words to BHotR caught the tune and idea from this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSn3NddwFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPRfN8SMco&feature=related

Others have used the tune to their own purposes.  One I learned in the service:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgsdexkv18&feature=related
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 09:26:40 PM »
marine had a good voice  hope he gets a baseball game gig  show some of the pop performers how its done

though this one surprised me
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/591541/star_spangled_banner_cher/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
also, doesn't the law state that all americans must stand and put their hand over their heart (unless in uniform), when the star spangled banner is played with a flag displayed?

I thought is was a matter of flag etiquette and respect, not law.  Even if it was law, I cannot imagine it being enforced due to 1st Amendment issues.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 07:37:22 AM »
I thought is was a matter of flag etiquette and respect, not law.  Even if it was law, I cannot imagine it being enforced due to 1st Amendment issues.

for me personally, i get kind of emotional.  not teary eyed, but something moves me to show the respect for the flag.  it also makes me kind of ticked when i see the lack of that emotion/respect in others.

but here is a copy of what is on the books, no matter how it is enforced.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode36/usc_sec_36_00000301----000-.html

(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

notice the wording using "should" rather than "shall". 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
This one's making the internet rounds faster than video of Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction." It was attached to one of the first emails I received when I fired up my computer this morning.

The marine did a much better job of singing a difficult melody than have many "professional" singers.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
Don't know bout y'all but my screen got fuzzy all the sudden.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 05:29:30 PM »
Of course my favorite, The Battle Hymn of the Republic, has the best lines after the first verse:

Agreed.  This is really nice song. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, geronimotwo.  That's handy information to have.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 12:56:18 AM »
That's my favorite verse of the Star Spangled Banner.  I wish it got sung more often.

(And it may just be the ol' southern boy in me, but I despise "Battle Hymn".  They sing it with gusto in the churches up here around the 4th of July [barf]
"It's good, though..."

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »
i think she saw others out of camera doing it first.  also, doesn't the law state that all americans must stand and put their hand over their heart (unless in uniform), when the star spangled banner is played with a flag displayed?

it still amazes me that we didn't have an official national anthem until 1931!

A free coiuntry needs neither pledge nor anthem - leave that to the fascists and communists.

As to being compelled to stand and salute, if you can legally burn it in protest, I don't think anyone can force you to salute it or respect it.....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »
A free coiuntry needs neither pledge nor anthem - leave that to the fascists and communists.

On the pledge aspect, I won't comment, but how could an anthem possibly be inconsistent with freedom?   ???

(Ever seen Casablanca?)  ;)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »
Why should the fascists and the Communists hog all the fun?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »
Or if you haven't seen Casablanca:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1vQ81jNWw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 09:07:42 PM »
Why should the fascists and the Communists hog all the fun?

THIS.

There is nothing freedom-sapping when celebrating our country and its founding principles.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
Or if you haven't seen Casablanca:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1vQ81jNWw
if you have a bluray player you need this movie.(on bluray) [popcorn]

the packaging on this one was really nice. if you can still find it, sometimes you can find such things at bestbuy.

oh, and don't forget to watch carrotblanca first.(hope it's still on the disk :angel:)

i usually turn down the saturation on my tv about halfway. i hate overdone sepia.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
The National Anthem surely is a tough one to sing well.

I knew there were more verses than the first.  I think mix & matching verses in our patriotic songs to be something we ought to take up for several reasons, familiarity being the #1 on the list.

For instance, Ray Charles preferred to start with the third verse of America:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUjr8EVgBg&feature=related
http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/americathebeautiful.html

Judy Garland doing three verses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Xz7WV_qJs

Of course, the author of the words to BHotR caught the tune and idea from this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSn3NddwFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPRfN8SMco&feature=related

Others have used the tune to their own purposes.  One I learned in the service:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgsdexkv18&feature=related

I  much prefer the original "John Brown's Body" lyrics....

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 04:19:06 PM »

On the pledge aspect, I won't comment, but how could an anthem possibly be inconsistent with freedom?   ???

(Ever seen Casablanca?)  ;)

If it was essential, why did the Founding Fathers not write us one?

I hope this is talen in the spirit I intend it, the internet can be so dry - BUT:

- excessive fetishism over national flags, hymns/anthems, pledges is dangerous - one runs the risk of confusing the symbols with the thing, and in losing th eproper relationship between our particular governemnt, and the governed.

Compare and contrast "Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country", with the sentiments of the founders and the relationship they had in mind:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

Our governemnt exist to serve me - not the other way around.  Flags, anthems, & pledges risk becoming tools for those who would reverse this...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 12:59:32 AM »
If it was essential, why did the Founding Fathers not write us one?

Who said it was essential?  I asked how it was contrary to liberty. 

- excessive fetishism over national flags, hymns/anthems, pledges is dangerous - one runs the risk of confusing the symbols with the thing, and in losing th eproper relationship between our particular governemnt, and the governed....Flags, anthems, & pledges risk becoming tools for those who would reverse this...

If that's what you meant, you could have just said so, instead of claiming that a national anthem makes us less free.

Compare and contrast "Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country", with the sentiments of the founders and the relationship they had in mind:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

Our governemnt exist to serve me - not the other way around. 

There is no contradiction or contrast in the two statements.  Kennedy said "country," not "government."