Author Topic: Abandon the Constitution  (Read 5725 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Abandon the Constitution
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
There are plenty of leftist who would like to abandon the US Constitution and start anew, using their own ideals of course.

Here is today's example: http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/cbs-guest-lets-give-up-the-constitution.html

So, my question is this. Do they really know what they are asking? Do they really want to destroy the foundation of law in this country when their opponents own the fast majority of firearms?

If the Constitution is dissolved, government is dissolved, laws are dissolved, police agencies are dissolved, anarchy follows. At least until a new system can be put in place.

Am I missing something here?  Is there a way to have a United States of America if the Constitution is null and void?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
Re: Abandon the Constitution
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
. . . Is there a way to have a United States of America if the Constitution is null and void?
No.

With everything that implies.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
What they are proposing is, in my opinion, a revolution.

Their folly is the assumption that such a swap can be made peacefully.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:35:53 PM »
Hard to take him seriously, when he starts off telling us that Wilson and FDR were great presidents.

The lackwit is hardly calling for the repeal of all our laws and institutions - just those which offend his tiny mind. No revolution here, just the slouch toward Gomorrah already in progress.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
Seems like there was a quote in "A Man For All Seasons"  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
On a related note, do the leftists realize that repealling the 2nd Amendment will not immediatly outlaw guns?  They seem to think that way.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »
There are plenty of leftist who would like to abandon the US Constitution and start anew, using their own ideals of course.

Here is today's example: http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/cbs-guest-lets-give-up-the-constitution.html

So, my question is this. Do they really know what they are asking?

I'm sure some do, some do not.  The academic nihilists will walk into this with open eyes.

Do they really want to destroy the foundation of law in this country

Yes.  When words mean nothing, what's left is only power.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »

There is a process for that.  Let them call a Constitutional Convention.  (that should keep 'em busy for *years* trying to cover all the legal prerequisites)  Then if they do somehow get it convened, the outcome might not be what they expect...
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
There is a process for that.  Let them call a Constitutional Convention.  (that should keep 'em busy for *years* trying to cover all the legal prerequisites)  Then if they do somehow get it convened, the outcome might not be what they expect...

If nothing else, it would gather them in one convenient location....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
Do they really want to destroy the foundation of law in this country when their opponents own the fast majority of firearms?

Haven't they already? If they haven't yet completely destroyed our culture, they are getting pretty close.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:56:57 AM »
There are quite successful countries with no constitution.  It is not a prerequisite to law and order.

The US constitution could benefit from a constitutional convention to set out what the population actually wants, and what it'll agree to accept. 

One of the problems with it now is that both sides of the political spectrum spend inordinate amounts of money trying to win political debates by Supreme Court decree. 

It's more just to sit down and use the process the founding fathers designed to settle these questions - through amendments and changes, which used to happen.  The constitution was never a sacred cow to the people who wrote it.  It should not be one to us.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »
One of the problems with it now is that both sides of the political spectrum spend inordinate amounts of money trying to win political debates by Supreme Court decree. 

It's more just to sit down and use the process the founding fathers designed to settle these questions - through amendments and changes, which used to happen.  The constitution was never a sacred cow to the people who wrote it.  It should not be one to us.
Sure, but they don't because they know damn good and well the vast majority of BS would never past muster for actually amending it. Much simpler to just claim "interstate commerce" or similar nonsense and do whatever the hell they want. Screw amending it to ban alcohol, just write a law regulating and banning controlled substances!

The process for amending the constitution is by design very difficult, and they know it, and they know a LOT would never pass the amendment process.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
There are quite successful countries with no constitution.  It is not a prerequisite to law and order.

The US constitution could benefit from a constitutional convention to set out what the population actually wants, and what it'll agree to accept. 

No, a Constitution is not required for law and order. However, it's a handy way of keeping a government in check.

US could benefit from a convention to fix some narrow bugs, sure. Limiting commerce and general welfare clauses, setting up a penalty for politicians for violating the Constitution (biggest bug, IMHO), etc. Thing is, I doubt politicians would implement MORE or more efficient rules restricting them. It would be a gamble on whether the new Constitution would be better or worse. Considering how polarized things are at the moment... A compromise Constitution would not be a good thing.

I'm all for amendments. Tis what I usually tell folks when they want to violate the Constitution. If your ideas are so obviously right and perfect, why don't you change the Constitution instead of ignoring it?

As for WHY we shouldn't abandon our Constitution is because all federal law derives its authority from it. If we abandon our Constitution, all federal laws are null and void in a legal sense. The federal government could only rule via straight "will of the people" (ie mob rule) or coercion (do what we say, or we kill you). I don't see either as being preferable to a relatively orderly legal system.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

George Washington

The Founders created the Constitution as a framework for definition and limitation of government power. They made the process of amending it onerous in order to control the passion of the moment, and allow for reasoned, deliberative change. It's that very passion which today wants to demean the Constitution, undermining its importance and legitimacy. We disregard this threat at our peril.

"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
We've had Barack Obama elected for two terms, and you want to give voters a chance to amend the Constitution? Are you nuts?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »
We've had Barack Obama elected for two terms, and you want to give voters a chance to amend the Constitution? Are you nuts?

The electorate for a constitutional convention is completely different from the one for a presidential election - the state governments are better indicators of what a convention will be like.

Still risky, but not nearly so bad as it seems.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
The fed.gov has been paying the merest of lip service to the Constitution for years. Hard to get riled up about abandoning a document that hasn't been in force for so long anyway.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »

The fed.gov has been paying the merest of lip service to the Constitution for years. Hard to get riled up about abandoning a document that hasn't been in force for so long anyway.

I suppose that depends on who's gettin' riled.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »

I suppose that depends on who's gettin' riled.

I suppose I meant that I was already riled, and this failed to further that state. :P
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
One of the proponents of this view, Louis Seidman, was on EconTalk this week.  It's a very good listen.
http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2013/02/seidman_on_the.html

Seidman's position is (paraphrasing here): The Constitution is old, so maybe it doesn't fit anymore.  We should do what we do because we are convinced that it is correct and moral, not because an old piece of paper says so.

While I disagree with him - I think his major strawman is the idea that people who support the Constitution are practicing a form of authoritarianism - he does make some very good points about some good things done in violation of the Constitution while simultaneously pointing to bad things done in violation of the Constitution as evidence that it doesn't work as intended.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »

I love the argument that points out that "America is a very young country" and therefore needs to follow the wisdom of "more mature nations" . . . followed immediately by . . . "the Constitution is old and tattered and needs to be updated/upgraded/replaced."

Friggin' priceless.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »
I love the argument that points out that "America is a very young country" and therefore needs to follow the wisdom of "more mature nations" . . . followed immediately by . . . "the Constitution is old and tattered and needs to be updated/upgraded/replaced."

Friggin' priceless.

All countries are similarly young - nationalism itself is a fairly recent invention.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »
The U.S. Constitution is the DNA of the American Republic.  Without it we have a mutated organism.

I will say it again: The future lies in secession or expulsion, take your pick.  Those who want to live in a different nation under different rules are free to, but they are not free to enslave me or take my property. 

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
The U.S. Constitution is the DNA of the American Republic.  Without it we have a mutated organism.

I will say it again: The future lies in secession or expulsion, take your pick.  Those who want to live in a different nation under different rules are free to, but they are not free to enslave me or take my property. 

Compliments of G98.....WOLVERINES!