Author Topic: Orwell must have been psychic  (Read 1925 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Orwell must have been psychic
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
This has nothing to do with any issue in particular, just the language.

Yesterday I got to thinking about all of the terminology that's been twisted to make things more palatable to folks who would otherwise object.

The phrase "illegal immigrants" is now "undocumented workers" or "out of status people".

"Abortion" is now "reproductive rights" or "women's healthcare".

"Government spending" is now "investments".

"Taxes" are "contributions".

"Released felons" are now "returning citizens".

"Terrorist acts" are "man-caused disasters".

"War" is "overseas contingency operation".

"Gay marriage" is now "same sex marriage".

"Raising taxes" is now "revenue enhancement".

"Printing money" is "quantitative easing".

"Torture" is "enhanced interrogation technique" (whether legal or illegal).

"Department budget freezes" are now "spending cuts".

The list goes on, but I'm amazed that politicians twist these words and nobody slaps them around. Orwell really was prescient.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Orwell must have been psychic
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »
........ I'm amazed that politicians twist these words and nobody slaps them around. Orwell really was prescient.

If you distract their security contingent I'll be very happy to slap them around .....  :police: [popcorn] =D :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »
Monkeyleg, you missed one that drives me bonkers...

A criminal act is now often labeled as "domestic terrorism," especially if they use an "assault weapon."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
"racism" is the one that kills me.  Every time I hear it, I think "Are they talking about someone who believes that racial differences produce an inherent superiority?"* 
The answer is almost always: nope. 

* http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
ML, you are behind the times, according to the AP Style Book, re:
The phrase "illegal immigrants" is now "undocumented workers" or "out of status people".

According to the AP:
Except in direct quotations, do not use the terms illegal alien, an illegal, illegals or undocumented.

http://blog.ap.org/2013/04/02/illegal-immigrant-no-more/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again. 1984 should not be labeled as fiction. If you want to know how far under statist tyranny we are, just read the book and [unbiasedly] compare with the present. It's a road-map manual of sorts.

Just to add to your Orwellian list, we also have the droning masses blindly accepting the never ending war with the faceless unreasonable "evil" people we so love to hate, eurasia, east asia... Iraq, Iran... what difference, at this point, does it make?  ;)

"Torture" is "enhanced interrogation technique" (whether legal or illegal).
Even entertaining the possibility that participating in such activities could be legitimate.. it's telling. Or, "it's so legit that we need to destroy all evidence of it" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17990955

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
It's arguable that we are in the future, always have been.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

JN01

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
A criminal act is now often labeled as "domestic terrorism," especially if they use an "assault weapon."

And actual domestic terrorism is called "workplace violence".

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »

Wouldn't it be more corret to label them as undocumented Democrats?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
Wouldn't it be more corret to label them as undocumented Democrats?

Watching Leno, are you?   =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
ML, you are behind the times, according to the AP Style Book, re:  

According to the AP:
http://blog.ap.org/2013/04/02/illegal-immigrant-no-more/

From the link:

The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term “illegal immigrant” or the use of “illegal” to describe a person. Instead, it tells users that “illegal” should describe only an action, such as living in or immigrating to a country illegally.

That's a double edged sword. We have yet to see how that applies to "illegal guns"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
I do prefer undocumented guns.   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »
The language will eventually catch up, and we will lose more good words.

This has already happened with "well-regulated"...the word "regulate" originally had no political connotation, and "regulation" did not mean "law". It was a euphemism adopted by politicians as a gentler-sounding alternative to "dictate", etc. People eventually wise up, and now "regulate" means "to dictate with force". "Administrate" is right behind.

Eventually, the fact that "racist" originally meant "one who displays bigotry along phenotypical boundaries" will just be a curiousity for the etymology nerds, and the word itself will just be a meaningless, hollow insult.

I expect the word "fair" to flip its meaning completely within a hundred years. 
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
Missed one:  "Hate crime"

A standard crime made more-badder because the perpetrator may have been thinking unkind thoughts at the time.  [barf]

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 05:46:39 AM »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
+1x∞, drewtam.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
I think it is not necessarily either/or, but both being correct.  "Misbehave and BB will inflict pain.  Behave and BB will give you Bon-Bons to eat while watching reality TV."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
I agree, there are components of both. As a "human rancher" you need to implement the censorship and brutalization, but you also need the overt decadent distractions. Too much of either and there will not be a productive population around to reap taxes from.

BTW who would hate a CZ75?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"