Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453231 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1475 on: March 24, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
Just because you add "to be used to prepare for coronavirus" to the text of your $35 million earmark to the Kennedy Center for performing Arts doesn't make it response related.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the KC closed? What preparation is there to do Nancy?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:56:14 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1476 on: March 24, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
Some days they don't even try to pretend

Majority Whip James Clyburn (D., S.C.) told House Democrats last week that the bill was “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.”
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/taking-hostages-sasse-slams-pelosi-for-adding-liberal-wish-list-to-emergency-coronavirus-bill/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1477 on: March 24, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
India is shut down for 21 days.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1478 on: March 24, 2020, 02:24:25 PM »
India is shut down for 21 days.

I fear India has the potential turn into something out of a apocalypse movie.

Coronavirus: India to enter 'total lockdown' after spike in cases
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52024239
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1479 on: March 24, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »
"I fear India has the potential turn into something out of a apocalypse movie."

You mean it's not already?

Could have fooled me...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1480 on: March 24, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »

Could have fooled me...

You do have a point there. 
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1481 on: March 24, 2020, 02:32:43 PM »
Behind paywall, but  https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-domestic-passenger-flights-could-virtually-shut-down-voluntarily-or-by-government-order-11585013673?mod=trending_now_pos1

US airlines are planning for either a voluntary or mandatory shutdown of domestic air travel.  Either due to low passenger census, making it uneconomical to operate the aircraft, or the air traffic control system shutting down due to staff shortages.  The airlines are hoping the Government does the shutdown to relieve them of contractual obigations to their unions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1482 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:37 PM »
The office I'm sitting in this week has a fantastic view over the runways and terminal at Dulles International.

When I was in this office last year while waiting on my clearances to sort out the place was simply alive. You could constantly see flights coming in, going out, taxiing and huge amounts of ground traffic.

Now? It's positively creepy just how dead the airport is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1483 on: March 24, 2020, 02:47:09 PM »

Could have fooled me...

I almost moved there in 2001, at the time what I was reading it didn't seem any worse then some of the southern rural areas and bonus no one goes hungry in India unless they want too. This was the start of the training Indians to do call centers and they wanted Americans to teach conversational English and American mannerisms to folks. At the time it paid 2k a month, transportation to and from India with a RT anywhere in the world during each 6 month hitch, also included a 1 bedroom apartment, meals, and a servant to cook, do laundry and clean for you. I was getting ready to sign a 6 month contract then some aholes flew a plane into some buildings.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1484 on: March 24, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »
BREAKING: LA County Sheriff tells me he is beginning to close county gun stores immediately. Deputies are currently going to the stores one by one to order them shut down. Sheriff to utilize scofflaw violations for any gun store still open after he deemed them nonessential @FOXLA

— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) March 24, 2020
    The Sheriff told me he is a gun owner himself, supports 2nd amendment, but believes too many first time buyers are panicking and bringing guns into homes where people are locked down, which he believes is recipe for disaster with potential accidental shootings. @FOXLA

— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) March 24, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/24/breaking-la-county-sheriff-now-closing-gun-stores/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1485 on: March 24, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »
If you want to get the alcohol out of gasoline isn't there an easy way of doing that?

I think it involves water? Check youtoob.

That transfers the alcohol from the gasoline to the water. I have no idea how to gauge the percentage of alcohol in the water after you drain off the gasoline.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1487 on: March 24, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »
I almost moved there in 2001, at the time what I was reading it didn't seem any worse then some of the southern rural areas and bonus no one goes hungry in India unless they want too. This was the start of the training Indians to do call centers and they wanted Americans to teach conversational English and American mannerisms to folks. At the time it paid 2k a month, transportation to and from India with a RT anywhere in the world during each 6 month hitch, also included a 1 bedroom apartment, meals, and a servant to cook, do laundry and clean for you. I was getting ready to sign a 6 month contract then some aholes flew a plane into some buildings.
2k per month?  Isn't that a bit low?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1488 on: March 24, 2020, 05:29:50 PM »

He'd have been living like a king on that pay rate back then.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1489 on: March 24, 2020, 05:30:36 PM »

2001 and room/board included. Actually close to what a freshly graduated teacher in Iowa would of been paid at the time.

Teaching English in other countries doesn't pay that well.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1490 on: March 24, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »
A 40th birthday bash that a Connecticut woman held earlier this month is now being eyed by health experts as a suspected coronavirus “super-spreading event” after more than half of its 50 guests later tested positive for the sickness, a report says.
A New York Times report on the gathering said its attendees left afterward for South Africa, New York City and other parts of Connecticut, while their children continued life as normal.

Connecticut party of 50 guests became coronavirus 'super-spreading event,' report says
https://www.foxnews.com/us/connecticut-gathering-of-50-people-dubbed-party-zero-for-coronavirus-spread-in-state
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1491 on: March 24, 2020, 06:30:33 PM »
And something similar to the above in the local news.
Someone decided to throw a Corona Virus party. Can you guess what happened? 
5 out of 5 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1492 on: March 24, 2020, 06:31:32 PM »
Took DW, to the hospital in Tyler today.  Traffic on I20 & the surface streets was down by about 50% (Tyler's on lock-down).  Those on the roads must have had someplace important to be, most everyone was doing at least 5 over the limit.  I didn't see more than the usual amount of cop cars.

There were 2 attendants wearing PPE at every entrance to the hospital, taking temps & asking questions - "been coughing lately?, been exposed?, etc."  The hallways & waiting rooms were almost vacant.  Where I'd usually pass 8-10 people in the halls I saw maybe one.  The waiting room we were in usually has at least 15 people, besides us there were two.  The doc seemed to be somewhat concerned about the virus, but didn't seem to think becoming a hermit was necessary.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1493 on: March 24, 2020, 06:49:23 PM »
I'm going to post this and then go make myself a drink

No addition debt just mint two coins

In an attempt to help ease the burden of the coronavirus pandemic on Americans, Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., released a plan last week for what is essentially a temporary universal basic income (UBI) that would be distributed to all individuals in the United States, including illegal immigrants, and be funded by the printing of two $1 trillion coins.

"Hey @realdonaldTrump, let's provide relief from this crisis for people by giving pre-loaded debit cards to every person in America," Tlaib tweeted over the weekend. "No additional debt -- we'll just mint two coins."

The plan, outlined on Tlaib's website, would send a debit card with $2,000 pre-loaded on it to every person in the U.S. and reload it with $1,000 every month "until one year after the end of the Coronavirus crisis."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tlaib-coronavirus-debit-trillion-coins
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1494 on: March 24, 2020, 06:53:22 PM »
The plan, outlined on Tlaib's website, would send a debit card with $2,000 pre-loaded on it to every person in the U.S. and reload it with $1,000 every month "until one year after the end of the Coronavirus crisis."

And for those fat cats who make $75K or more, your taxes will then go up $26,000/yr.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1495 on: March 24, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »
Also:

Ilhan Omar

@IlhanMN

Any rescue package must:

1) Cancel student debt
2) Fund losses for small businesses and local governments
3) Ban evictions and foreclosures
4) Ban stock buybacks and executive bonuses

We need a groundswell of support for these critical measures!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1496 on: March 24, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
To the extent that any publicly traded company receives money from Uncle Sugar they should be banned from stock buy backs or large executive bonuses until they've repaid any loans.  Any money they would have used should be repaid to the tax payers who funded them.  And ALL assistance should be in the form of loans.  Not loan guarantees, or grants.  They can be zero interest for all I care, but it shouldn't be gifts.

I'd still rather they let the bankruptcy process deal with things.  Maybe that would result in more competition down the road between large companies getting split up in the bankruptcy process, or simply by the big boys going through that allowing competition to spring up.  Airlines (sorry Fly320s) especially.  But even big companies like Boeing, or the cruise ships.  

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1497 on: March 24, 2020, 07:35:47 PM »
How is this hard? All taxpayers get a single payout.

-if you have student loan debt, you pay student loan debt.
-if you have rent, you pay your rent.
-if you need food, you buy food.

It's just to make up for the paycheck that is presumably not coming this week (or next week or however long this lasts) and you're supposed to spend it on the same crap you normally have to spend your money on.

It's not the *expletive deleted*ing Corona Bonus to make everyone's feelings not hurt.  :facepalm:

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1498 on: March 24, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »
If the R's were smart (but they're not) they'd be on TV telling people that don't need the money to donate it to local charities, or even make a direct gift to an individual they see hurting from the panic.  Make the check non-taxable and donations up to the amount they get (which depends on how many kids they have) deductible separate from normal deductions.  I.e. If you just take the standard deduction you can add that giving to that.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1499 on: March 24, 2020, 08:27:30 PM »
If the R's were smart (but they're not) they'd be on TV telling people that don't need the money to donate it to local charities, or even make a direct gift to an individual they see hurting from the panic.  Make the check non-taxable and donations up to the amount they get (which depends on how many kids they have) deductible separate from normal deductions.  I.e. If you just take the standard deduction you can add that giving to that.
No, that wouldn't mean crap to R voters right now.  The smart thing to do would be to not pass anything if the Dems are going to load it down with pork.  We can recover from this virus stuff.  The crap they want to add to the bill will screw us for years.

I have heard a number of Republicans talking about Pelosi putting politics before helping the American people and similar stuff.  I am not sure if anyone is listening or not.  I havn't watched Trump's press conferences to see if he is mentioning it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge