Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453399 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1525 on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
Well, it looks like the virus has won and this might be the end for us. Waffle House has closed.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/25/sit-just-got-real-waffle-house-closes-365-restaurants/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1526 on: March 25, 2020, 11:34:59 AM »
Maybe he'll tell Madcow to FOAD.

I wish they would tell all "news" pundits; left, right, middle, sideways, front ways, back ways and upside down to FOAD.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1527 on: March 25, 2020, 11:36:59 AM »
Like this is going anywhere

A class-action lawsuit filed in Florida this month seeks to "make China pay for what they've done" in its handling of the coronavirus crisis, saying the country acted "negligently in their handling of the COVID-19 outbreak."

A personal injury law firm based in Boca Raton, Fla., is bringing the suit against China and various Chinese government agencies on behalf of "individuals and business owners in the United States and State of Florida, for damages suffered as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic."

Class-action suit seeks to bill China for coronavirus fallout: 'We want the court to make them pay'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/class-action-suit-seeks-to-make-china-pay
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1528 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »
"My Face Mask"

The "My Pillow" guy is now making hospital face masks. :)

Good for him.  I see him on Fox Business a bit. He's  big deplorable. This should irritate the left a bit.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/25/yes-mypillow-now-making-masks-for-hospitals/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1529 on: March 25, 2020, 12:16:09 PM »
Report from my hillabilly grocery store this morning:

Surprisingly well-stocked. Fruits and veggies looked pre-virus normal. Potatoes (which were AWOL) are back with a vengeance. Big meat selection. Decent selection of bread, eggs, milk. Toilet paper was wiped out, but plenty of paper towels. Lots of sugar (I bought some), but low on flour. Also the ice cream is still practically depleted WTF? I saw one scroungy looking guy that looked like maybe he'd driven down off the mountain (his truck was full of snow) using his elbow to open the door to the store. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #1530 on: March 25, 2020, 12:21:15 PM »
I did a Walmart run to our usual suburban Milwaukee location.

No TP, but there was now a smattering of paper towels and kleenex. Meat looking about half stocked, and a few aisles like breakfast cereal and canned food were still 75% gutted, but were looking better than before, and had stockers in them with carts and pallets of goods. They had almost their normal amount of bottled water on hand.

The Kroger affiliate here, and the fancy/expensive/gourmet chain was well stocked on everything but TP. Maybe some gaps in the meat department was all.

So it's looking like the panic is subsiding a bit.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1531 on: March 25, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
So I heard on the news this morning that congress got in an uproar because they got a big delivery (I assume from GSA) of hand sanitizer that was expired. While I would expect it to expire once the seal was broken (alcohol evaporation), I didn't think it could expire, at least for a long while, in the sealed container. I think they said these were from 2009.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1532 on: March 25, 2020, 12:26:17 PM »
So - and I won't even say a set number because it seems to be a moving target - we're looking a trillions of dollars in virus response in the US. The UN is doing a $2 billion package for the whole world.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/un-announces-2-billion-response-package-to-fight-coronavirus

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1533 on: March 25, 2020, 12:26:55 PM »
Ky Gov ordering National Guardsmen to be stationed at all hospitals
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1534 on: March 25, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
So I heard on the news this morning that congress got in an uproar because they got a big delivery (I assume from GSA) of hand sanitizer that was expired. While I would expect it to expire once the seal was broken (alcohol evaporation), I didn't think it could expire, at least for a long while, in the sealed container. I think they said these were from 2009.

GSA should have sent that to hospitals or the military, and found some new stuff (commandere it if necessary) for congress.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1535 on: March 25, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »
Hand sanitizer does expire.

But it doesn't need to be opened for it to lose efficacy.

https://www.insider.com/does-hand-sanitizer-expire
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1536 on: March 25, 2020, 12:33:11 PM »
"My Face Mask"

Good for him.  I see him on Fox Business a bit. He's  big deplorable. This should irritate the left a bit.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/25/yes-mypillow-now-making-masks-for-hospitals/

Former crack addict who recovered and hit "business gold", does seem to try to keep as much of his business operations in MN and employ local people.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1537 on: March 25, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »
So - and I won't even say a set number because it seems to be a moving target - we're looking a trillions of dollars in virus response in the US. The UN is doing a $2 billion package for the whole world.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/un-announces-2-billion-response-package-to-fight-coronavirus

CNN: Orange Man is doing nothing while the UN saves the world.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1538 on: March 25, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »
Former crack addict who recovered and hit "business gold", does seem to try to keep as much of his business operations in MN and employ local people.

Charby is writing headlines for CNN now.  :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1539 on: March 25, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
So I went to order a replacement water filter for my whole house system, fulfilled by Amazon, one month delivery date (23APR) for Prime delivery. I went and randomly chose a few other items and they all came up the same. Apparently Amazon is prioritizing deliveries, though they are very vague on what stuff gets priority.

I got the filter elsewhere with a free USPS delivery for next week, but just a head's up that you want to pay close attention to delivery dates if you're ordering from Amazon.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #1540 on: March 25, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »

He rubs me the wrong way (might be simple allergy to excessive personal brand advertising) but that is genuinely good to hear.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1541 on: March 25, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »
Wow, so this is unexpected:

Yesterday, the LA County Sheriff shut down all gun stores. Today, it appears he did so without consulting with the LA county attorney's office, who said that gun stores are an essential service. I'm more surprised at the LA County Attorney's position than with what the Sheriff did.

https://time.com/5809444/los-angeles-closing-gun-shops-coronavirus/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1542 on: March 25, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »
He rubs me the wrong way (might be simple allergy to excessive personal brand advertising) but that is genuinely good to hear.

I'm tired of his commercials

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1543 on: March 25, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »
I saw this story about the post office potentially shutting down because they are losing money due to the beer flu. How is this possible? Everyone is staying home and ordering stuff on Amazon, etc. The other guys are are trying to hire people to keep up with increased demand. I'm getting Amazon packages delivered by USPS, yet they're not seeing an increase like the other guys?

Regular mail has been declining for a long while, so that part isn't new and isn't urgent. Increased package deliveries right now should be mitigating that loss. I smell the same "virus money grab" the Kennedy Center is asking for.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/congress-needs-to-provide-funds-or-postal-service-may-shut-down-because-of-coronavirus-report

You could give the postal service a bunch of printing presses to print their own money, and they'd still find a way to lose money on their operation every year.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1544 on: March 25, 2020, 02:04:53 PM »
I wish they would tell all "news" pundits; left, right, middle, sideways, front ways, back ways and upside down to FOAD.

Amen.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1545 on: March 25, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »
You could give the postal service a bunch of printing presses to print their own money, and they'd still find a way to lose money on their operation every year.

Schools too.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1546 on: March 25, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »

I haven't looked at what the UN is doing, but I suspect buried deep in the UN package language, most of the $2 billion relief will end up going to their own programs so their officials and cronies can siphon off as much as possible.  UN = massive corruption for the most part.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1547 on: March 25, 2020, 02:12:16 PM »

Fairly certain it's their union/commie labor practices that cause it.

Postage is still fixed rate, way low.  But labor costs are skyrocketing due to high demand.  Any work over 40 hours incurs overtime pay, and hiring additional postal workers incurs additional costs not factored into the postal rates.

This is what you get when everything is subsidized.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1548 on: March 25, 2020, 02:13:10 PM »
"My Face Mask"

Good for him.  I see him on Fox Business a bit. He's  big deplorable. This should irritate the left a bit.  :laugh:

Uh, oh.  They have a poster on the wall saying that all things are possible with God.  They obviously want our government to become a theocracy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1549 on: March 25, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »
Apparently that *expletive deleted*ing Kennedy Center is still in what looks to be the final version of the relief bill. More infuriating, one of the comments indicates BOTH dems and Rs had it in their versions of the bill. I'd really like to know which Republicans were in favor of that pork.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/03/25/outrageous-heres-what-congress-wants-to-do-with-25-million-in-covid19-relief-money/