Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453279 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1625 on: March 27, 2020, 09:59:07 AM »
Yeah somehow India is reporting a really low case count.  I think in the end, we'll see India emerge as a humanitarian crisis from cases and deaths.

Will we really be able to see much of a difference from business as usual?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1626 on: March 27, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »
Heard a report last night that the country wide mask shortage goes directly back to H1N1 and the Obama administration.
They apparently used a bunch of them up but never replaced the gubmint stockpiles.

So....Trumps fault because he didn't replenish the stock.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1627 on: March 27, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »
More news out of Iran
They say the numbers could be much higher

More than 300 people have died and a further 1,000 have fallen ill in Iran after consuming methanol in the belief that it will protect them against the coronavirus, according to local media.

Hundreds dead in Iran after consuming methanol thinking it was coronavirus protection
https://www.foxnews.com/world/hundreds-dead-iran-methanol-coronavirus-protection
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1629 on: March 27, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
Will we really be able to see much of a difference from business as usual?

India isn't the sh-thole everyone thinks it is. Don't confuse India with Bangladesh and Pakistan.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #1630 on: March 27, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »
India isn't the sh-thole everyone thinks it is. Don't confuse India with Bangladesh and Pakistan.

This exactly. It’s been 10 years or so since I’ve been there. When I was there though, there were places you wouldn’t really know you were not in the US. Places that were like inner city areas and places that were like the worst stereotype of Deliverance except with less banjos. In most places even menus and signs are in English or English and a local dialect. My somewhat educated guess is it only got better. I remember going to a Mall that could have been any Mall in normal town USA even with the same restaurant food courts and shops. Gap, McDonalds, KFC, etc.

Granted there were indicators everywhere that you were in a foreign country, but the third world stuff was not quite everywhere and in ways wasn’t much different from bad parts of rural America or Big Cities.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1631 on: March 27, 2020, 10:51:31 AM »
Heard a report last night that the country wide mask shortage goes directly back to H1N1 and the Obama administration.
They apparently used a bunch of them up but never replaced the gubmint stockpiles.

See post #1551 in this thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-the-worlds-richest-country-ran-out-of-a-75-cent-face-mask/ar-BB11GgLi
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #1633 on: March 27, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »
Cities with large populations, concentrated,  like New York City,  are or will be very hard hit.  NYC  is already  hard hit.  
This is why social distancing is being advocated.  Duh.....
This is the beginning.   People are beginning to manifest symptoms.  

Be safe and SOCIAL DISTANCE!!!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1634 on: March 27, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
What the heck???
Please tell me this is a joke, faked, or something

‘Embarrassing’: Tisch School of the Arts Dean denies students a coronavirus refund with bizarre video of herself dancing (watch)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/27/embarrassing-tisch-school-of-the-arts-dean-denies-students-a-coronavirus-refund-with-bizarre-video-of-herself-dancing-watch/

https://twitter.com/michale_price/status/1241939725121921025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1635 on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
What the heck???
Please tell me this is a joke, faked, or something

‘Embarrassing’: Tisch School of the Arts Dean denies students a coronavirus refund with bizarre video of herself dancing (watch)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/27/embarrassing-tisch-school-of-the-arts-dean-denies-students-a-coronavirus-refund-with-bizarre-video-of-herself-dancing-watch/

https://twitter.com/michale_price/status/1241939725121921025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I saw that and decided to go with "out of context". I hate lefties as much as the next guy, but that would be too much. Might be something she'd do to conservatives, but not her own kind. Sadly, these days, there's a good chance I'll be proven wrong.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1636 on: March 27, 2020, 11:17:36 AM »
Iran:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/hundreds-dead-iran-methanol-coronavirus-protection

In the meantime, the usual progressives in the MSM and Hollywood are almost gleeful about, "The US has more reported cases than anyone" without considering the big ramp up in testing. There's no way we have more actual cases than China. I'm not into the "tens of millions of dead" scenario, but come on, man - it's China.

Edit: Oops - didn't see WLJ already posted it. "I'm an old man! I get confused!"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:46:21 AM by Ben »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1637 on: March 27, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
More news out of Iran
They say the numbers could be much higher

Hundreds dead in Iran after consuming methanol thinking it was coronavirus protection

Saw that a week or so ago.
Well, on the bright side they didn't get the Corona virus. Just a bit of Darwinism in action.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1638 on: March 27, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
Iran:

In the meantime, the usual progressives in the MSM and Hollywood are almost gleeful about, "The US has more reported cases than anyone" without considering the big ramp up in testing. There's no way we have more actual cases than China. I'm not into the "tens of millions of dead" scenario, but come on, man - it's China.

They are also not putting the numbers in perspective. Italy has a population of about 60 million total with a land mass about 3/4 the size of the state of California. they are packed in pretty tight. California has a population of about 40 million spread out over a larger area.
I'd really like to see comparisons based on population and land mass.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1639 on: March 27, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »
Either I've been assessing the risk wrong, or my town's mayor is wrong. One or t'other, it's an order of magnitude difference.

I've been hiding out here at home with the notion that for every confirmed case there are probably ten or so additional cases. Yesterday our mayor put out a telephonic alert/update notice -- some kind of robo call setup. The tidbit that astonished me was the factoid that for every confirmed case there may be up to ONE HUNDRED additional cases.

The town's population is about 10,000, and we have 3 confirmed cases. That means we could have 300 cases in town, which is 3 percent of the population.

Sobering.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1640 on: March 27, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
They are also not putting the numbers in perspective. Italy has a population of about 60 million total with a land mass about 3/4 the size of the state of California. they are packed in pretty tight. California has a population of about 40 million spread out over a larger area.
I'd really like to see comparisons based on population and land mass.

Sort of like a "study"  I saw yesterday, that, based on tracking cell phone locations (a whole nother rant topic), "blue states" were better at self-isolating and not traveling than deplorable "red states". They took zero consideration of geography and that somebody in rural Wyoming might be driving and hour to the local grocery store. Nor that if you're miles from crowds, you can in fact safely travel around. Not everyone lives in an NYC high-rise packed with people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1641 on: March 27, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »
Not everyone lives in an NYC high-rise packed with people.

I'm of the opinion that big city libtards are just way to stupid to grasp that concept.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1642 on: March 27, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »

I'm actually curious what the % of the US population lives in high to medium density housing vs. individual houses/trailers/duplexes.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1643 on: March 27, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »

I'm of the opinion that big city libtards are just way to stupid to grasp that concept.

Everyone else lives in $10 million Beverly Hills Mansions
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1644 on: March 27, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
I'm actually curious what the % of the US population lives in high to medium density housing vs. individual houses/trailers/duplexes.

Technically the last three you mentioned can all be high density, depending on location. In coastal CA, most all of that is alt least medium density. Some, from pre WW2 construction, and some from new construction.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1645 on: March 27, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
Technically the last three you mentioned can all be high density, depending on location. In coastal CA, most all of that is alt least medium density. Some, from pre WW2 construction, and some from new construction.

I've always understood that:

High density housing is multiple apartment buildings (NYC situation)
Medium density housing is townhouses/quads
Low density is what you would find in a suburb or most Midwest towns, houses/duplexes with yards, even is there is 6' between the houses.

Uranus is a gas giant.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1646 on: March 27, 2020, 12:44:03 PM »
based on tracking cell phone locations (a whole nother rant topic)

Cell phone tracking has been a huge component in the most successful containment efforts. Once testing is caught up here I suspect that we will see more of it and unfortunately I think people will be so panicked they won't complain.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1647 on: March 27, 2020, 01:04:56 PM »
Cell phone tracking has been a huge component in the most successful containment efforts. Once testing is caught up here I suspect that we will see more of it and unfortunately I think people will be so panicked they won't complain.

I mean, they don't complain now. Most smart phone users are tracked by Google and don't know, don't care (I don't know how Apple does things?) because of the great convenience, and admittedly, I do that too, though I'm getting better at turning off location services that auto-run for no damn reason. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the tracking data for that study was handed to them by Google.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1648 on: March 27, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
Well, one good thing about the virus is it has me sampling more local eats and supporting local business instead of driving to fancy Boise. Philly cheese steak and veggie beef soup day at the local diner today, and like the other places in town, they are in, "call it in and we'll bring it to you when you get here" mode. I'll be picking some up right after I hit the hardware store. :)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1649 on: March 27, 2020, 01:16:17 PM »
I mean, they don't complain now. Most smart phone users are tracked by Google and don't know, don't care (I don't know how Apple does things?) because of the great convenience, and admittedly, I do that too, though I'm getting better at turning off location services that auto-run for no damn reason. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the tracking data for that study was handed to them by Google.

Yep. I bet they can already track pretty much everyone in the world, but there's just so much data they're not sure how to handle it or what to do with it. Probably working on that right now.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?