Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453199 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Pb

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1901 on: April 02, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
On the lighter side...  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/02/malaysian-government-apologizes-for-tips-on-what-wives-should-do-during-a-covid-19-quarantine/

What is funny about this?

Are people offended by suggestion that women not be bitches?

Or do people just think it is hilarious that women would not be bitches?

With feminism making marriage so unpleasant for men, we should not be surprised that few and fewer men want to get married.

It horribly sad anyone would think this is something other than good advice for women- at any time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:42:29 PM by BTR »

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #1902 on: April 02, 2020, 06:58:40 PM »
Maybe they know the virus will burn out or that there is treatment that will work.

Maybe the infections and deaths related to delay are just considered acceptable collateral damage in their war against Heritage America.

Maybe both above are true.

I think both.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1903 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »
On the lighter side...  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/02/malaysian-government-apologizes-for-tips-on-what-wives-should-do-during-a-covid-19-quarantine/

I wonder what the response would be if Malaysia told husbands to be nice to their wives, and not look like slobs?

Oh, wait, there wouldn't be any "backlash."

Or:

https://youtu.be/oMnxPsQanrs?t=68
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1904 on: April 02, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »
Trump sent a letter to Schumer.  =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1905 on: April 02, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
I didn't read the or watch the link so maybe it covers what I've stumbled over.

I've read about a potential connection with a lab in one of the Carolina's as well as in Canada.

Also about Chinese and Chinese Americans being picked up for transferring technology etc related to infectious diseases.

I'm in the we'll never really know camp myself.

Reality is frequently crazier than fiction.

You really should watch the video, it isn't very long.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1906 on: April 03, 2020, 09:17:07 AM »
Just heard on the tv that the CDC will be making an announcement that "masks for all" is back. Though they are saying not N95 or better, just any old cloth masks, dust masks, or even bandanas. I've been hearing valid arguments both pro and con for this.

The general "pro" is that anything that can stop particulates is better than nothing and can help. The general "con" is that those particulates remain on the outside of the mask and improper handling will still spread the virus.

I'm kinda leaning towards the "pro", because you can control mask sanitation and handwashing after mask removal. If people don't do it, that's on them. You can't as easily control getting sneezed on. Plus the clothes you wear are just as susceptible as a mask. I don't seen anyone out and about that's doing, "wear it once and burn it" with their clothes.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1907 on: April 03, 2020, 10:09:09 AM »

I'm kinda leaning towards the "pro", because you can control mask sanitation and handwashing before and after mask removal. If people don't do it, that's on them. You can't as easily control getting sneezed on. Plus the clothes you wear are just as susceptible as a mask. I don't seen anyone out and about that's doing, "wear it once and burn it" with their clothes.

FTFY

On clothes, if I go into the hospital or out and about I will strip in the garage and the clothes go into the washer. Jacket and shoes stay in the garage and get a liberal spraying of Lysol and 24 hours in the garage before coming in. Once in the house it is straight to the shower. You can't bee too careful when you hit a couple of the high risk items. :(

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1908 on: April 03, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
Would boiling the masks/cloth for 1/2 hour or so destroy the virus? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1909 on: April 03, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »

https://youtu.be/2UdtKssU7po?t=833
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1910 on: April 03, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
I'm not going out much, but when I do I wear an N95 mask, which I reuse.  (I only have a few.  I spray it with Lysol and let it air-out a few days before I reuse it)  I use hand sanitizer before I get back in the car.  At home, I wash my hands a lot and my face occasionally, especially when I first get home.  Shirt comes off and goes in the washing machine when I walk in.  When I have to interact with a deliveryman or something, I keep track of which hand (left) touches anything possibly contaminated, and I open the door with my other hand so not to contaminate the knob.

All groceries, the mail, etc gets dunked in bleach or sprayed with Lysol as soon as they come in the house, and plastic bags are thrown away.  Paper bags are saved to reuse after several days outside in the sun.

And I think that's enough; I'm not worried about it.  My brother, OTOH is scared to death he's going to make one little mistake somewhere and kill us all.  And of course that's possible, but if it happens it was meant to be.  You can't live in condition orange all the time, and even if you do you can still make a mistake and not know it.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1911 on: April 03, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »
Some of the stupidity I'm hearing about is mind boggling.
My daughter is a teacher in Tulsa public schools. Of course they've been on shut down since spring break. They are now ramping up to do online classes.
They still have to go to the school building to get materials and Chromebooks to distribute to the students. The school system is requiring that they be checked for fever before being allowed in.
So far just a common sense procedure that is being done in many places.
Except, the geniuses at her building are using oral thermometers   :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• friend
« Reply #1912 on: April 03, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »
Some of the stupidity I'm hearing about is mind boggling.
My daughter is a teacher in Tulsa public schools. Of course they've been on shut down since spring break. They are now ramping up to do online classes.
They still have to go to the school building to get materials and Chromebooks to distribute to the students. The school system is requiring that they be checked for fever before being allowed in.
So far just a common sense procedure that is being done in many places.
Except, the geniuses at her building are using oral thermometers   :facepalm:

Better than rectal I guess. We are using temporal and laser here, I am sure they are pretty accurate after the person they are checking has just come in from outside where it is 25 degrees, or not. But it makes them feel good.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1913 on: April 03, 2020, 10:48:28 AM »
https://youtu.be/2UdtKssU7po?t=833

I read some thing the other day about using alcohol, that it removes the static charge from the material and reduces the ability for the mask to trap pathogens.

https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing-medical-masks-for-reuse-coronavirus.html

"DO NOT use alcohol and chlorine [bleach]-based disinfection methods," they wrote. "These will remove the static charge in the microfibers in N95 facial masks, reducing filtration efficiency. In addition, chlorine also retains gas after de-contamination, and these fumes may be harmful."
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1914 on: April 03, 2020, 10:59:43 AM »
I read some thing the other day about using alcohol, that it removes the static charge from the material and reduces the ability for the mask to trap pathogens.

https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing-medical-masks-for-reuse-coronavirus.html

That's possible. I'm currently putting masks in a Ziploc bag and dating the bag. When they have been sitting for a three weeks I'll reuse them.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1915 on: April 03, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
I wonder if that problem with alcohol is relevant to non-N95 masks? The CDC seems to be pushing, "don't wear N95 or higher masks". Which, besides not taking supplies away from the medical community kinda makes sense because most people wouldn't take precautions that would benefit from the wearing of N95 or higher (face fit, etc.). This CDC thing seems to be more of a "large particles and better than nothing" thing.

I got one of these, though a different brand, that came with ten N99 inserts as a lightning deal last DEC for $12, with the idea that it would be more comfortable for doing dusty stuff around the house, like using the leaf blower, than the metal nose clip paper masks. And it is, also fitting much better, including remaining sealed when I move facial muscles. I'd likely use this one if wearing masks becomes an "in" thing, knowing it is not 100% effective. Otherwise I'm breaking out my Mira gas mask (or if things get that serious, not going out at all).  =D

https://www.amazon.com/Coxeer-Motocycle-Cover-Outdoor-Activities/dp/B06Y28TMQ3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=base+camp+dust&qid=1585925826&sr=8-1

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1916 on: April 03, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
Better than rectal I guess. We are using temporal and laser here, I am sure they are pretty accurate after the person they are checking has just come in from outside where it is 25 degrees, or not. But it makes them feel good.

bob
Idiocracy - Future Hospital Visit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUVo0xVAqE

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• friend
« Reply #1917 on: April 03, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »
That's possible. I'm currently putting masks in a Ziploc bag and dating the bag. When they have been sitting for a three weeks I'll reuse them.

You may want to rethink the Ziploc bag. The guidelines are to store in a breathable bag, such as a paper bag.

https://smhs.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/N-95ExtendedUse-ReuseGuidelines.pdf

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1918 on: April 03, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »
Idiocracy - Future Hospital Visit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUVo0xVAqE

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man, I have to watch that movie again.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1919 on: April 03, 2020, 11:09:23 AM »
Wasn't making contact with, and arresting this guy worse than leaving him alone? Why aren't people also being arrested at the Home Depot?

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/03/is-this-really-about-the-virus-anymore-crazy-footage-of-paddle-boarder-arrested-for-violating-california-stay-at-home-order-by-being-alone-on-the-ocean-video/

BobR

• friend
« Reply #1920 on: April 03, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
Wasn't making contact with, and arresting this guy worse than leaving him alone? Why aren't people also being arrested at the Home Depot?

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/03/is-this-really-about-the-virus-anymore-crazy-footage-of-paddle-boarder-arrested-for-violating-california-stay-at-home-order-by-being-alone-on-the-ocean-video/

He defied the order!!! He can't do that!!! Arrest him!!! If you let him do that next thing will be scuba divers and we have no way of tracking them, our dolphin force is also under stay at home orders!!!

What a bunch of morons out there!

bob

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1921 on: April 03, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »

There's a video up on YouTube by a female Australian doctor advising washing N95 masks in warm, soapy water. She says it doesn't hurt the masks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #1922 on: April 03, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
When I’ve gone out. Most of the people I see wearing masks aren’t doing it correctly anyway. Leaving nose exposed. Not bending the metal thing to seal it. Pulling the mask down and pushing it back up constantly. Stuff like that. So not sure how effective that would even be to require mask when it seems most people don’t know how to use them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1923 on: April 03, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
When I’ve gone out. Most of the people I see wearing masks aren’t doing it correctly anyway. Leaving nose exposed. Not bending the metal thing to seal it. Pulling the mask down and pushing it back up constantly. Stuff like that. So not sure how effective that would even be to require mask when it seems most people don’t know how to use them.

Well, it again, from what I'm gathering from the CDC announcement, seems to be, "large particles and better than nothing". Not just from breathing in, but out as well. If a mask contains 90% of someone's sneeze or cough, it's better than nothing. Even if the mask leaks, fewer particles are getting out and not spread as great a distance.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1924 on: April 03, 2020, 12:19:21 PM »
Science fair winner* speaks out on the racism of the virus, while not researching geographic locations and transit choices.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/03/aoc-reveals-how-covid19-is-actually-really-racist-and-proclaims-that-covid19-relief-should-be-drafted-with-a-lens-of-reparations/

*Well, second place, which is really just the first loser.