Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453252 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1950 on: April 04, 2020, 09:01:30 PM »
We should remember, as alluded to above by Mak, that it's Summer's end there. I'll be curious to see if there is a resurgence in July in the colder parts of the country. I don't think anywhere there gets as cold as many of our states, so it might not be bad then either. Which is just me saying that maybe their protocols got help from mother nature.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1951 on: April 04, 2020, 11:39:21 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1952 on: April 05, 2020, 08:37:59 AM »
Counterpoint to my last article:

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/04/02/Bodies-left-in-streets-as-COVID-19-overwhelms-Ecuador/4651585855485/

However:

Ecuador had at least 3,100 confirmed cases and 120 deaths as of Thursday afternoon, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University. That's more than every other South American country other than Brazil and Chile.

So, summer might kill it, but then what's going on with Ecuador versus the rest of South America?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1953 on: April 05, 2020, 08:41:00 AM »
Also related: I've had "The gods of the copybook headings" running through my head this morning.

Especially the last lines...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1954 on: April 05, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
Interesting news snippet this morning: CA has not seen a large infection rate in the homeless populations. That is very surprising to me, but maybe I'm missing a logical reason for it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1955 on: April 05, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »
Interesting news snippet this morning: CA has not seen a large infection rate in the homeless populations. That is very surprising to me, but maybe I'm missing a logical reason for it.

Perhaps a very limited amount of social contact outside of homeless circles.
Most of the sick seem to catch it at work, from family, or it’s healthcare workers getting sick.
Homeless aren’t sharing bathrooms with people who travel to Italy.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1956 on: April 05, 2020, 11:20:03 AM »

They aren't testing homeless people?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1957 on: April 05, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
The numbers as reported really don't give us an accurate picture.

How many have been tested?
Demographics of those tested?
Geographic location of those tested?
Percentage of population tested?
Definition of dying from covid-19, is it the only, primary, one of many factor's?
And on and on and on ...
The more clarity you seek the less clear it all becomes.

We're being told nothing actually.

We're being manipulated, maybe for our good, maybe not.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1958 on: April 05, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
https://apnews.com/75e97a636f40bcd98f0827dfaa09e3ff

So now the next issue is finding refrigerated space to store all the bodies.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1959 on: April 05, 2020, 11:55:51 AM »
https://terravivos.com/secure/vivoseuropaone.htm

If we all chip in, perhaps we can get a luxury bunker in what I am guessing is the former East Germany. A subterranean munitions dump and equipment storage built by the Soviets.  We can rely on Fly320s to get us to Europe. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1960 on: April 05, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
The numbers as reported really don't give us an accurate picture.

How many have been tested?
Demographics of those tested?
Geographic location of those tested?
Percentage of population tested?
Definition of dying from covid-19, is it the only, primary, one of many factor's?
And on and on and on ...
The more clarity you seek the less clear it all becomes.

We're being told nothing actually.

We're being manipulated, maybe for our good, maybe not.

I think this administration has a strong bent towards militant transparency. 
Also, the US is extremely decentralized in some aspects.  This leads to disorganized data collection and information dissemination.
Add to that a very copious serving of general bureaucratic incompetence and there you go.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1961 on: April 05, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »
They are warning of a bad week coming. My wife and I were in town at our office doing a little work this morning and she wanted the internet to attend online mass.
We were leaving and she said if the grocery store wasn’t busy we could get some fresh produce and fruit.
She sat in the car in the parking lot watching people going in and out and she couldn’t decide go in or don’t. She was back and forth and I was getting impatient. She didn’t want me to go in. Then she lost it. Started crying and said said she just couldn’t do it.
I put on mask and vinyl gloves and went in. Quickly got 6 things and left. I don’t know how long it will be before she regains the ability to go into a store for $15 worth of groceries.
I’m getting tired of it. I suppose almost everybody is.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1962 on: April 05, 2020, 12:46:23 PM »
COVID vigilantism:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massachusetts-shoppers-tackle-man-produce-coronavirus

So I'm going to take, perhaps, the minority view on this. This is only a snippet from the time the guy was tackled, so we have no idea what went on beforehand. When I read and saw this, my first thoughts were of my 92 year old dad. He clears his throat A LOT these days, like to the point of hocking a loogie, but not doing so, if that makes sense. It's pretty much involuntary, so I know he does it in stores and wherever.

He's been smart enough to keep himself at home, but if he were to go to the grocery store and clear his throat, then get jumped on like this guy did, from how they were holding him down in the video, my frail dad would be dead. Now maybe this guy was some wacko aggressively spitting on food for who knows why, but if it was just some confused senior citizen involuntarily coughing, man, I'm glad my dad is staying at home.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #1963 on: April 05, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »
I'm going to bookmark this and look at it again in August. Assuming I'm still around.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/forecasting-model-predicts-when-each-state-will-likely-hit-coronavirus-peak-gives-possible-total-deaths

Does it make sense to look at a state level?

I'm out 3/4 of the way to BFE.  Our state also has Chicago.  I suspect cases will be disproportionately there, not here.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1964 on: April 05, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »

I'm out 3/4 of the way to BFE.  Our state also has Chicago.  I suspect cases will be disproportionately there, not here.

I suppose it makes sense if you're keeping in mind the urban centers will be the locus of the problem in each state. As with most other issues.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1965 on: April 05, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/diseases-a-z-list/coronavirus
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1966 on: April 05, 2020, 02:45:21 PM »
More Orange Man bad

What if we were to learn that Trump suppressed scary information re COVID-19 (and the needed federal response) in January to postpone the economic turndown until it could no longer endanger his Senate acquittal? Retweet if you wouldn’t be surprised by his making that tradeoff.

— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) April 5, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/04/05/just-say-no-to-drugs-laurence-tribe-makes-alex-jones-look-almost-sane-trying-to-float-effed-up-trump-covid-19-conspiracy/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #1967 on: April 05, 2020, 03:02:12 PM »
http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/diseases-a-z-list/coronavirus

possibly not up to date.  I know my county (Stephenson) has 4 cases.  All, I think, "recovering at home".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1968 on: April 05, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »
More Orange Man bad
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/04/05/just-say-no-to-drugs-laurence-tribe-makes-alex-jones-look-almost-sane-trying-to-float-effed-up-trump-covid-19-conspiracy/

The Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed the last straw has been grasped, and all supplies are now exhausted.

Don't drink and tweet, folks.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1969 on: April 05, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »

Tiger at NYC’s Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus
https://www.wave3.com/2020/04/05/tiger-nycs-bronx-zoo-tests-positive-coronavirus/

The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia — and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill — are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee who wasn't yet showing symptoms, the zoo said. The first animal started showing symptoms March 27, and all are doing well and expected to recover, said the zoo, which has been closed to the public since March 16 amid the surging coronavirus outbreak in New York.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1970 on: April 05, 2020, 07:30:37 PM »
Score!

SWMBO had asked me to pick up some crafting supplies for her.  Figured WTH, I'd check out the paper goods aisle.

They were stocking paper towels!  There were ~eight 6 packs of Bounty and almost 1/2 pallet of generic Walmart 1 ply towels.  Grabbed one of the Bounty.  Then I spotted two 6 packs of Charmin on the other side of the shelves!  "Feet, don't fail me now".

Being the nice guy that I am, I left one 6 pack.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1971 on: April 05, 2020, 07:38:09 PM »
Cliffh, I always knew you was good people.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1972 on: April 05, 2020, 07:46:22 PM »
I try to keep it a secret.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1973 on: April 05, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »
COVID vigilantism:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massachusetts-shoppers-tackle-man-produce-coronavirus

So I'm going to take, perhaps, the minority view on this. This is only a snippet from the time the guy was tackled, so we have no idea what went on beforehand. When I read and saw this, my first thoughts were of my 92 year old dad. He clears his throat A LOT these days, like to the point of hocking a loogie, but not doing so, if that makes sense. It's pretty much involuntary, so I know he does it in stores and wherever.

He's been smart enough to keep himself at home, but if he were to go to the grocery store and clear his throat, then get jumped on like this guy did, from how they were holding him down in the video, my frail dad would be dead. Now maybe this guy was some wacko aggressively spitting on food for who knows why, but if it was just some confused senior citizen involuntarily coughing, man, I'm glad my dad is staying at home.

I guess you could be right. Either way, I hope the COVIDgilantes wore PPE.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #1974 on: April 06, 2020, 08:22:45 AM »
https://terravivos.com/secure/vivoseuropaone.htm

If we all chip in, perhaps we can get a luxury bunker in what I am guessing is the former East Germany. A subterranean munitions dump and equipment storage built by the Soviets.  We can rely on Fly320s to get us to Europe. 

I'm in.  There are hundreds of planes parked all over the US not being used.  We could borrow one and no one would notice.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?