Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453077 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2400 on: April 16, 2020, 06:35:19 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2401 on: April 16, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »
https://www.brazoriacountytx.gov/departments/health-department/brazoria-county-coronavirus-map?fbclid=IwAR2L8g8mPTjDO-qm0iDFo_Mlj4mQcGflMIRS7esEhtFDFfi7hwAiHZCzXEo
My local county keeps a running update on their website.  Been hovering around the 150 cases range the last few weeks.  No new deaths in a couple weeks.  Most of the cases are up near Houston.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2402 on: April 16, 2020, 07:16:48 PM »
Love the meme they use for this story on their home page  :rofl:

Breaking? CNN reports that the Chinese government hid critical coronavirus information from the world
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/04/16/breaking-cnn-reports-that-the-chinese-government-hid-critical-coronavirus-information-from-the-world/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2403 on: April 16, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »
Hippa doesnt let them say who has recovered they need to go to the media to say they have recovered. yes it is going to be hard to keep trac of numbers.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2404 on: April 16, 2020, 08:23:05 PM »
News stories that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling

Shootings in Louisville up by more than 150 percent during coronavirus outbreak
https://www.wave3.com/2020/04/16/shootings-louisville-up-by-more-than-percent-during-coronavirus-outbreak/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2405 on: April 16, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »
Hippa doesnt let them say who has recovered they need to go to the media to say they have recovered. yes it is going to be hard to keep trac of numbers.

HIPPA isn't stopping the reporting the raw number of infections or hospitalizations. It damn well doesn't stop the reporting of the raw numbers of recovered. No one is asking for names, just numbers of people that have recovered.
We're being played.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2406 on: April 16, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »
HIPPA isn't stopping the reporting the raw number of infections or hospitalizations. It damn well doesn't stop the reporting of the raw numbers of recovered. No one is asking for names, just numbers of people that have recovered.
We're being played.

Iowa reports the recovered total everyday, either buy the governor and/or on a website.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2407 on: April 16, 2020, 10:35:38 PM »
We're being played.

^^^ Exactly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2408 on: April 16, 2020, 10:47:03 PM »
Iowa reports the recovered total everyday, either buy the governor and/or on a website.

That's not showing up on the Johns Hopkins map.

In fact, since I last looked at the map a couple of days ago they have removed the data point for "Recovered" entirely. They have also removed that data point for other countries, including those that I know have been reporting recoveries. If I were a conspiracy theorist (but what would a conspiracy theorist be doing on this forum?), I might think that the data point was removed so that people wouldn't notice that the United States, out of just about all the countires in the world, is about the only one that has no data on number of recoveries.

I think the (or, at least, "a major") reason for that is that the protocol for verifying recovery is two negative nasal swab tests taken at least 24 hours apart. We don't have enough test kits yet to test all those who need testing to determine whether or not they have COVID-19, so we certainly don't have enough testing capacity to test patients twice to see if they have recovered.

Which means our data are useless. (But we already knew that.)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2409 on: April 16, 2020, 11:09:02 PM »
Here in WI, at least one (almost month old) report says to be counted as recovered, the person
needs to be at least seven days from the start of symptoms and that a patient would need to be symptom free for at least 72 hours.

https://www.weau.com/content/news/The-criteria-a-COVID-19-patient-needs-to-meet-to-constitute-as-recovered-569142801.html

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2410 on: April 16, 2020, 11:21:40 PM »
It's all hippa around her. Do we have any CPC's on here to understand what I am saying.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2411 on: April 17, 2020, 12:53:16 AM »
I saw a video of some pastor in Mississippi I think, filming a gaggle of cop cars showing up to block people from his drive-in service. He mentioned the common question of why it was okay to go to Walmart with 100 other people, but people sitting in the car was not and mentioned his constitutional rights. One of the cops said, "Your rights are temporarily suspended."

With Ramadan about to start, I wonder if they're going to try that with mosques.

https://twitter.com/johncardillo/status/1250764228958588929
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2412 on: April 17, 2020, 01:46:28 AM »
That's not showing up on the Johns Hopkins map.

In fact, since I last looked at the map a couple of days ago they have removed the data point for "Recovered" entirely. They have also removed that data point for other countries, including those that I know have been reporting recoveries. If I were a conspiracy theorist (but what would a conspiracy theorist be doing on this forum?), I might think that the data point was removed so that people wouldn't notice that the United States, out of just about all the countires in the world, is about the only one that has no data on number of recoveries.

I think the (or, at least, "a major") reason for that is that the protocol for verifying recovery is two negative nasal swab tests taken at least 24 hours apart. We don't have enough test kits yet to test all those who need testing to determine whether or not they have COVID-19, so we certainly don't have enough testing capacity to test patients twice to see if they have recovered.

Which means our data are useless. (But we already knew that.)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

That data is on the Johns Hopkins map.
There's a tab at the bottom of the frame showing deaths that reads "recovered".  Clicking that tab will switch that frame to the recovered number.  US is reporting 56,236 recovered as of 0842C on the 17th.

Additionally, if you click the main map frame over to "active cases" instead of "cumulative confirmed cases" and click on any country you will get a pop up with that countries numbers for confirmed cases, deaths, recoveries, and active cases.  Color coded even.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2413 on: April 17, 2020, 02:05:10 AM »
Here in WI, at least one (almost month old) report says to be counted as recovered, the person
https://www.weau.com/content/news/The-criteria-a-COVID-19-patient-needs-to-meet-to-constitute-as-recovered-569142801.html

That doesn't match up with the CDC recommendations.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ending-isolation.html

Possible Strategy to Discontinue Home Isolation For Immunocompromised Persons with COVID-19 When A Test-Based Strategy is Feasible and Desired:

Maintain home isolation until:

• Resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath) and
  • Negative results of an FDA Emergency Use Authorized molecular assay for COVID-19 from at least two consecutive nasopharyngeal swab specimens collected ≥24 hours apart (total of two negative specimens)[1]. See Interim Guidelines for Collecting, Handling, and Testing Clinical Specimens for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2414 on: April 17, 2020, 02:12:09 AM »
That data is on the Johns Hopkins map.
There's a tab at the bottom of the frame showing deaths that reads "recovered".  Clicking that tab will switch that frame to the recovered number.  US is reporting 56,236 recovered as of 0842C on the 17th.
That's on the page, but not on the map. The map is broken down (in the U.S.) by county, and when the data for recoveries in each county were last shown, they ALL read "0" (zero).

Additionally, if you click the main map frame over to "active cases" instead of "cumulative confirmed cases" and click on any country you will get a pop up with that countries numbers for confirmed cases, deaths, recoveries, and active cases.  Color coded even.
The toggle to switch from total/cumulative cases to active cases has disappeared from the map since I last looked at it, two or three days ago. And now, when you click the dot for any county (or country), the data block that opens up no longer has an entry for "Recovered."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2415 on: April 17, 2020, 02:37:29 AM »
The toggle to switch from total/cumulative cases to active cases has disappeared from the map since I last looked at it, two or three days ago. And now, when you click the dot for any county (or country), the data block that opens up no longer has an entry for "Recovered."

No it hasn't.  Check the screenshot I posted from this morning.

For some reason they only seem to be tracking the "active" cases (which is where recovered data is) by country, but that is true worldwide, not just in the US. For example you can get China's recovered numbers (for what that's worth) but not Hunan's alone.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2416 on: April 17, 2020, 04:19:41 AM »
No it hasn't.  Check the screenshot I posted from this morning.

That option to switch between cumulative and active cases has gone AWOL. If you grabbed that screen shot on Thursday morning, then it disappeared on Thursday.

I just grabbed this screen shot to show what I'm blathering about:

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2417 on: April 17, 2020, 04:26:06 AM »
It's attached to post 2412

My browser is giving me a slightly different look then yours.  

Click that arrow to the right of "cumulative confirmed cases" and I suspect it will cycle through the tabs that are in that frame.

ETA:  Yeah, It's an artifact of Firefox.  Chrome, IE, and Edge all show it as I think it's designed with Tabs.  I don't have Waterfox on this laptop to check it.  In Firefox, those left/right arrows will cycle through the tabs that you can't see.  Each frame has a couple options on it.  For example, where yours says "admin0" under the cases by country, you can cycle to "admin1" which is cases by state/province, or "admin2" which is cases by US county.  For some reason on your screnshot the tabs exist under the "total deaths" frame, and you can but none of the rest.  Weird.  Firefox seems to have more then it's share of weird little glitches in web pages

ETA Again:  Oooooh.  It's a screensize thing.  If firefox thinks the tabs will be too small it renders it as the banner with arrows.  I'm running 1920x1080 and if Firefox is a window it shows what you have.  If I go full screen I see what's attached to this post. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:58:10 AM by dogmush »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2419 on: April 17, 2020, 08:42:13 AM »
Two things heard on the news this morning:

1) China has revised Wuhan infection numbers up by 50%.

2) Somehow I missed this before, but Peking has reported zero infections. Okay then.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2420 on: April 17, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »
Two things heard on the news this morning:

1) China has revised Wuhan infection numbers up by 50%.

2) Somehow I missed this before, but Peking has reported zero infections. Okay then.

They're also pushing out media into other parts of the world blaming the US for the virus.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2421 on: April 17, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »

ETA Again:  Oooooh.  It's a screensize thing.  If firefox thinks the tabs will be too small it renders it as the banner with arrows.  I'm running 1920x1080 and if Firefox is a window it shows what you have.  If I go full screen I see what's attached to this post. 

Ah, so. I'm running Waterfox, which is a fork of Firefox. And I run it in a window, not in full screen. If I widen the screen just a bit, the tabs appear again. I don't think I changed the size of the window, but I may have nudged it a bit.

But ... I have red-green weak colour vision, so for me the small dots on the "Confirmed" map are difficult to impossible to see. The dots on the "Active" map are ("were") much more visible for me. When I just switched to the "Active" map a couple of minutes ago ... it no longer breaks down to the county level or even the state level for the U.S. -- it just has one big dot for the entire United States. That is definitely a change -- previously, there was a dot for each county on the "Active" map, just like on the "Cumulative" map..

cordex

• Administrator

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2423 on: April 17, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
They're also pushing out media into other parts of the world blaming the US for the virus.

Something the MSM is more than happy to join in on if it has the slightest chance of making Orange Man bad
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2424 on: April 17, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
Another news snippet I just heard:

Only one in five restaurants will survive the shutdown. I didn't catch what group did the study, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think restaurants already have a fairly large failure rate in the best of times.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."