Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453361 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2450 on: April 17, 2020, 06:58:30 PM »
So Iowa is one the few states that didn't have a "stay at home" order and a lot of left leaning political people are still pissed that we don't have it. Never mind that all the other orders/proclamations from our governor pretty much made it that with out those three words. I have one friend that is just uber pissed about it, after arguing back and forth this afternoon, my last question was "Would you call the cops on your best friend if they violated a stay at home order?" I'm waiting to see if I get a reply, then watch a *expletive deleted*it storm between them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2451 on: April 17, 2020, 08:29:44 PM »
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article242061306.html

“We do not consent to our state being shut down. We do not consent to forced imprisonment,” say Idaho Freedom Foundation, Idaho Second Amendment Alliance and Health Freedom Idaho.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2452 on: April 17, 2020, 09:02:33 PM »
Hey, be glad that you're not living in Michigan.

Gretchen Whitmer has chosen to shut down "elective" surgeries...

What does she consider to be elective?

Things like joint replacements and organ transplants.

But what is still available, as it is a CRITICAL medical procedure?

Elective abortions.

ELECTIVE abortions.

In grinding, unremitting pain because your knee is completely done? Your pain is elective.

Dying slowly from kidney disease and a kidney becomes available? Apparently that's also considered elective.

Get knocked up in the back of your boyfriend's car because you couldn't keep your social distance and want an abortion?

That's apparently life-sustaining and can be performed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2453 on: April 17, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
I would have thought store chains would source some commercial TP just to get something on the shelf to sell.  

And that should mean there is a glut of commercial TP somewhere that isn't selling because offices and resturants are shut down and not buying more. 

I’ve done consulting work for a commercial paper products broker. The sales channels would also be different. Not to say the stores couldn’t do that, but it may not be as easy as calling the guy they but retail stuff from.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2454 on: April 17, 2020, 09:16:50 PM »
I can’t say what that Michigan governor deserves here...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2455 on: April 17, 2020, 09:59:31 PM »
Lost touch with my friend in the UP a few years ago but I imagine he is saying she is number 1. 🖕
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2456 on: April 17, 2020, 11:16:47 PM »
I would have thought store chains would source some commercial TP just to get something on the shelf to sell.  

And that should mean there is a glut of commercial TP somewhere that isn't selling because offices and resturants are shut down and not buying more. 

I had to go back to work Tuesday. When I poop on company time I spin that roll like the wheel of fortune.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2457 on: April 18, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
New data suggests that infections in the San Francisco area are 85% higher than reported. If that ends up being both accurate, and replicated throughout the US, the mortality rates are going to go way, way down. Possibly lower than the regular flu.

While hindsight is always easy, it would suggest that at most, we should have just voluntarily quarantined those over 65 or so and other susceptible demographics. We didn't know, so we did what we did. It's certainly data for opening things up though (and perhaps continuing to ask the elderly to lay low for a while longer).

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-antibody-testing-finds-bay-area-infections-85-times-higher-reported-researchers
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2458 on: April 18, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »
Banging the narrative drum

Dr. Kizzmekia Corbett, who is described by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) as the "lead" member of the U.S. government team racing to find a coronavirus vaccine, has engaged with online theories calling the pandemic a black "genocide" and condemned what she called "systematic oppression" by white people, a review of her social media posts by "Tucker Carlson Tonight" reveals.
On March 29, Corbett tweeted out a Bloomberg article about how the poor are dying at higher rates from coronavirus. In her tweet, she said that doctors would deliberately choose to deny ventilators to black Americans, leaving them to die instead.
Another user declared, “They hate us. This virus is a sure fire way to get rid of us without having to lift a finger.” Corbett replied: “Some have gone as far to call it genocide. I plead the fifth.”

On April 11, Corbett implied black people are "doomed."

But lets not let reality get in the way

Adams, the surgeon general, told a press conference last week that black Americans suffer more from obesity, diabetes, and other ailments that increase the risk of death from coronavirus.

After Adams recommended that black Americans avoid cigarettes and alcohol to project their health during the epidemic, Corbett retweeted another user’s thread saying the suggestion was “offensive because they ignore systemic racism.” That thread ended by saying, “Dr. Fauci and Dr. Adams, check your privilege. Think critically. Stop spreading harmful fallacies that support white supremacy

Suggesting people stay healthy is racist :facepalm:

Lead NIH coronavirus researcher suggested pandemic could be 'genocide', said doctors would let blacks die
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-researcher-pandemic-genocide-blacks-nih
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2459 on: April 18, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2460 on: April 18, 2020, 09:45:09 AM »
And the 5G/C19 stupidity is growing
People are now attacking cell phone towers.  :facepalm:

Arsonists in the United Kingdom and across Europe are destroying cell phone towers. Vodafone says that 20 towers were attacked, including one serving a field hospital treating COVID-19 patients. The arsonists believe that 5G networks are helping spread coronavirus.
The great 5G coronavirus conspiracy
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/the-great-5g-coronavirus-conspiracy
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2461 on: April 18, 2020, 10:07:20 AM »
And the 5G/C19 stupidity is growing
People are now attacking cell phone towers.  :facepalm:
The great 5G coronavirus conspiracy
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/the-great-5g-coronavirus-conspiracy

Let's find out where they chat online and let them know there's a vaccine for 5G.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2462 on: April 18, 2020, 10:40:44 AM »
Let's find out where they chat online and let them know there's a vaccine for 5G.

But is suspected of causing autism
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2463 on: April 18, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »
The tinfoil on my head has an idea. The UK has a deal with that Chinese 5G concern, whatever it's called, and some people oppose it for good, non-virus reasons. Maybe the vandals just don't want the Chinese to run their internet, and the idea that 5G spreads the virus is just a convenient way to discredit them.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2464 on: April 18, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
I actually hate 5G too, and wish it would die. It has nothing to do with the virus of course but I wonder how many of the tower torchers know that already and are just doing it for other reasons.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2465 on: April 18, 2020, 10:51:23 AM »
Adams, the surgeon general, told a press conference last week that black Americans suffer more from obesity, diabetes, and other ailments that increase the risk of death from coronavirus.

My brother the nurse tells me black folks have a 2 humped survivorship curve.  A bunch die young of diabetes, heart problems and kidney failure.   Past that it's not surprising to run into one living to a great old age.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2467 on: April 18, 2020, 11:05:25 AM »
I actually hate 5G too, and wish it would die. It has nothing to do with the virus of course but I wonder how many of the tower torchers know that already and are just doing it for other reasons.

Continued thread drift. I don't get 5G. From my understanding, because of proximity factors for towers/relays, it has always seemed to me to be impractical outside of urban areas. Even in suburbia, it seems like it would not be cost effective to sufficiently blanket an area with an acceptable strength signal.

Seems like flash in the pan tech that will be usurped by something much better in the near future. While not as big of bandwidth, LEO internet satellites seem a more useful technology to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2468 on: April 18, 2020, 11:19:06 AM »
That option to switch between cumulative and active cases has gone AWOL. If you grabbed that screen shot on Thursday morning, then it disappeared on Thursday.

I just grabbed this screen shot to show what I'm blathering about:

Simple answer: If you wish to keep the hype up to a fever panic, you must filter out or block any good news. It's just another means toward an end.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2469 on: April 18, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »
I had actually read what Mak was talking about a while back. At that time, for curiosity, I looked at Amazon. They had those ginormous rolls (maybe 10" diameter?) you see in public bathroom dispensers available for fairly fast (like a week) shipping. I don't know if the price was reasonable or not, but it didn't look outrageous considering the times. Like maybe $15 for the two big rolls? Probably acceptable from the "beggars can't be choosers" perspective.

Those big rolls of which you speak are not toilet paper in the strictest sense. It is smearing paper.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2470 on: April 18, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »
Those big rolls of which you speak are not toilet paper in the strictest sense. It is smearing paper.

Woody

Might as well use wax paper
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2471 on: April 18, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »

Woody

You know you can double it over, right?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2472 on: April 18, 2020, 07:48:26 PM »
Noted far-right, science-denying, anti-vax, tin foil, corona-denier Peggy Noonan is saying we have to get America back to work.

Twenty-two million have applied for unemployment since the pandemic began, and it’s going to get worse. This is a never-before-seen level of national economic calamity; history doesn’t get bigger than this.

People need to support their families. They need to have lives. They know how tentative and provisional a sense of security is in the best of times. They see the numbers, they get the implications, and they think yes, there is a terrible sickness out there, but we cannot commit suicide out of a fear of dying. We’ve got to get this thing up and going again.

https://peggynoonan.com/needed-a-little-give-and-a-lot-of-integrity/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2473 on: April 18, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »
https://www.timesofisrael.com/top-israeli-prof-claims-simple-stats-show-virus-plays-itself-out-after-70-days/

A prominent Israeli mathematician, analyst and former general claims simple statistical analysis demonstrates that the spread of COVID-19 peaks after about 40 days and declines to almost zero after 70 days — no matter where it strikes, and no matter what measures governments impose to try to thwart it.

Not my area of expertise, obviously, but it will be interesting to see if it plays out as he predicts.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2474 on: April 18, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
https://www.timesofisrael.com/top-israeli-prof-claims-simple-stats-show-virus-plays-itself-out-after-70-days/

Not my area of expertise, obviously, but it will be interesting to see if it plays out as he predicts.

Hasn't it been around much longer than 70 days in Hubei?