Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453820 times)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2500 on: April 20, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »
You also saw tons of images of NYC residents going outside and going shopping every day, because  I guess it didn't occur to them to buy a week's worth of stuff in one trip. Also I saw multiple videos that the urban yute cop punching fad remained ongoing. So much for social distancing.

In the meantime, NYC celebrities, pundits, etc. were denigrating the deplorable rubes in flyover country for not isolating because their cell phone data showed them driving 10 miles to the store, and they even ragged on that lone paddleboarder in San Diego.
Much like that cell phone data, I don't think you can make too many assumptions based off those images.
Urban areas, like New York, Detroit, and New Orleans, have been disproportionately impacted by the coronavirus with some of the highest death rates in the country. Though the death rate in the US is currently much higher in urban areas than non-metropolitan areas, there are signs that the virus has begun to spread through rural areas. Two-thirds of rural communities now have at least one confirmed case of COVID-19. Despite recent increases in rural communities, urban residents are almost twice as likely as Americans living in rural areas to know someone who has been infected with COVID-19. Americans living in rural areas are less concerned about their family members or themselves becoming infected than those in urban areas (64 percent vs. 71 percent). Urban residents are more likely to have stock piled supplies (39 percent v. 28 percent), and are significantly more pessimistic about when life will return to normal in the US.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2501 on: April 20, 2020, 11:59:33 AM »

Yeah, you can't close the hardware stores or the grocery stores, and if those are the only places open, that's where people are going to go. Or even if they're staying home, when you tell a bunch of people to stay home, they're going to start doing all those projects they've been putting off.

Maybe we should be glad all those people are shopping. If not, who knows how many more millions would be laid off by now?

Still should be 1 person per cart/trolley/buggy as suggested.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2502 on: April 20, 2020, 12:03:43 PM »
Iowa governor just said of yesterday we have a 39% recovery rate of those infected.

Another packing plant was deemed an outbreak this weekend, at a beef kill plant in Tama, IA.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2503 on: April 20, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
Much like that cell phone data, I don't think you can make too many assumptions based off those images.
Not sure I'd make too many assumptions based on that poll.
I'm guessing that "stock piled supplies" means something very, very different to a NYC apartment dweller and someone living in rural America.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2504 on: April 20, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »
Still should be 1 person per cart/trolley/buggy as suggested.

So they're recommending people not shop in groups or pairs? I have not heard of that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2505 on: April 20, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
I'm guessing that "stock piled supplies" means something very, very different to a NYC apartment dweller and someone living in rural America.

True, as you mentioned previously, a lot of urban dwellings are not conducive to stockpiling. What an inner Detroit resident considers well stocked might look mostly depleted by rural Nebraska standards.
However, that poll indicates that at least some city dwellers are capable and trying to be better prepared and the concept of buying a week's worth of food is not beyond their intellect.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2506 on: April 20, 2020, 12:46:15 PM »

So they're recommending people not shop in groups or pairs? I have not heard of that.

Our governor has recommended it, many stores have it posted on their doors (1 person per cart, also no one 16 years age or younger allowed either). Not sure if anyone is really enforcing it if it's posted on the door.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2507 on: April 20, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
To many inner city dwellers the concept of keeping any food on hand beyond chips, soft drinks and beer is almost alien to them since nearly 99%+ of their food is fast food. The refrigerator is where they throw the leftovers to rot.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2508 on: April 20, 2020, 12:54:42 PM »
OMG!
Trump's name is the check!
We're all going to die!

First look at stimulus checks with President’s name
https://www.wave3.com/2020/04/20/first-look-stimulus-checks-with-presidents-name/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2509 on: April 20, 2020, 12:57:13 PM »

I'm a widower, so I have no choice. If I need to go to the supermarket, I go to the supermarket. My friends in the area who have families have established one person in each family as the designated shopper.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2510 on: April 20, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »
No, when they talk about stockpiling supplies they're talking about this specific incident.

These are all the asshats that went out in the first week and bought all the TP, messing up the supply chains. I don't believe for two seconds these are people that normally have more than a few containers of leftover take out going bad and maybe some orange juice in the fridge under normal circumstances.

Rural dwellers didn't stockpile because they ALREADY had stockpiles. It isn't an indicator over who took this more seriously, since rural folks didn't need the supplies.  :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2511 on: April 20, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »

That's been the thing. Even I know that (and I don't even watch the news)

Of course, nobody seems to pay attention too it...

Although, I can understand when you have single parents with their kids, though. They don't exactly have a lot of options for child care when doing errands.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2512 on: April 20, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »
That's been the thing. Even I know that (and I don't even watch the news)

Of course, nobody seems to pay attention too it...

Although, I can understand when you have single parents with their kids, though. They don't exactly have a lot of options for child care when doing errands.

Most chain stores that have household necessities do have online ordering and curbside pickup. I know there are some rural areas that just have a local grocery store/hardware store, but most the majority of the population has a Mao-Mart not that far away. There is no excuse for single parents with a smart phone not to shop that way until this passes. You ought to see the arguments on a north Iowa facebook group with single hood-rat mommas bitching they can't take their kids shopping with them at Mao-Mart or local grocery store. They got facebook, they have internet, they can do curbside pickup.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2513 on: April 20, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »
Not sure I'd make too many assumptions based on that poll.

Yeah, I'm guessing that depending on who is reporting, "stockpiling" has many definitions at this point. When I first started looking at homes here, I was surprised at the large pantries almost everywhere, including the home I purchased, and it seems for most people here, pantries aren't "stockpiling spaces", but rather where normally (for rural living) kept food goes. Stockpiling is the year's supply of canned stuff and water people have in their basements (lots of Mormons here).

Went shopping in Eastern Oregon today. Staples was pretty empty but had a sign out front listing all the "panic stuff" they had in stock. Lots of toilet paper, so I guess as mentioned earlier in the thread, people don't think of TP and office supplies. Tractor Supply had their usual small crowd. Home Depot was crazy. it was like there was a big sale going or something. The store was packed and the garden section was especially packed. I contributed to that as I didn't want to wait any longer for the rest of my garden stuff. I'm at the point where I'll just let my superior Aryan genes handle the virus and create antibodies.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2514 on: April 20, 2020, 02:48:42 PM »
It appears that we gave a $3.7 million grant to the Wuhan lab likely responsible for the virus release. It happened under Obama, so it won't get a lot of coverage. Not that it necessarily should, but I think we know that if it happened under Trump's watch the MSM would make it the culprit of the virus release.

https://twitchy.com/brads-313037/2020/04/19/ummm-the-wuhan-viral-lab-suspected-of-releasing-the-covid-19-virus-was-funded-by-the-obama-administration/

When was the report that they weren't operating at level 4 like they should be, 2018?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2515 on: April 20, 2020, 02:59:04 PM »
Another packing plant in Iowa just reported an outbreak, Prestage pork kill in Eagle Grove, IA.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2516 on: April 20, 2020, 03:00:33 PM »
On the stockpiling thing, it stands to reason urbanites would be more likely to stockpile FOR THIS SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCE. Urban areas are where the worst and earliest outbreaks are, and where police (or Karens) are (apparently, at least in some areas) actually hounding people to stay at home.

Also, some of you seem to think "urban" means poor, or uninterested in cooking. Not sure why you would think that. FWIW, I assume they were counting the wider metro areas as "urban," not just those who live within city limits.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:09:53 PM by fistful »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2517 on: April 20, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/comedian-patton-oswalt-mocks-anti-shutdown-protesters-recalls-anne-frank

Sounds familiar.

“Rich fat guy sitting on a mountain of cash tells you jackasses to suck it up,” tweeted Gutfeld.

“Even richer a**-faced failed comedian who’s reduced to being the ‘wacky guy’ on geriatric GOP propaganda network would like to explain the nuance of ‘ironic swastikas’ to you,” responded Oswalt.

I like how Oswalt claims Gutfeld is "richer," but he's also a "failed comedian." Of course, that pales to the irony of him calling Gutfeld ugly...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2518 on: April 20, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/comedian-patton-oswalt-mocks-anti-shutdown-protesters-recalls-anne-frank

Sounds familiar.

I like how Oswalt claims Gutfeld is "richer," but he's also a "failed comedian." Of course, that pales to the irony of him calling Gutfeld ugly...

Wasn't it that long ago they were crying about isolation from their mansions? 

The media made sure to cherry pick protesters complaining about freedom and not being able to get haircuts.  Didn't bother finding anyone with businesses closed or not getting paychecks.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2519 on: April 20, 2020, 07:12:39 PM »
Hey now, that bald patch on the side of my head was not easy to live with!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2520 on: April 20, 2020, 09:08:04 PM »
The data analytics team at Corporate is now estimating that after things return to 'normal', our patient census will be only up to 75% or so one year out from that point.  This will likely apply to many healthcare systems across the country, which means that healthcare unemployment is going to increase and stay that way.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2521 on: April 20, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
ConAgra in Mo is shutofor at least 20 days.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2522 on: April 20, 2020, 09:48:53 PM »
The data analytics team at Corporate is now estimating that after things return to 'normal', our patient census will be only up to 75% or so one year out from that point.  This will likely apply to many healthcare systems across the country, which means that healthcare unemployment is going to increase and stay that way.

Hmmm, does that mean 25% of needed procedures, etc won't be done or that prior to Wu-Flu 25% of all procedures were unnecessary?   =|

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2523 on: April 20, 2020, 10:23:37 PM »
Hmmm, does that mean 25% of needed procedures, etc won't be done or that prior to Wu-Flu 25% of all procedures were unnecessary?   =|

bob

On that note, we are wondering where are all the MI, stroke, appendicitis, and diabetic crisis patients are who used to be in our ER?  We are seeing drops all over the region, so they are not going to other facilities.  Are people dying at home or gutting it out?  What have you seen at the VA ER?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2524 on: April 20, 2020, 10:54:43 PM »
Where are the regular flu cases?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG