Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453865 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2525 on: April 20, 2020, 11:13:11 PM »
On that note, we are wondering where are all the MI, stroke, appendicitis, and diabetic crisis patients are who used to be in our ER?  We are seeing drops all over the region, so they are not going to other facilities.  Are people dying at home or gutting it out?  What have you seen at the VA ER?

Our ER has seen about a 50% drop in patients. We are still getting respiratory stuff and abd pain stuff but a lot of the MI's and other cough/cold/indeterminate with vague symptoms seems to have dried up. Maybe people are staying home now that they might really get sick if they head out to an emergency room.  ???

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2526 on: April 21, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »
JBS (The Brazilian Devil) pork kill plant shut down a plant in Worthington, MN, I'm not sure if this plant is 10% of the daily of the US pork kill or it's closure with other means that 10% of the pork kill in the US is shuttered. The news stories or articles isn't very clear. I'm guessing that plant is 10% of the daily US hog kill because I work in part of the territory where they draw hogs from and there is a lot of hog house complexes. More so than other parts of Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2527 on: April 21, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »
JBS (The Brazilian Devil) pork kill plant shut down a plant in Worthington, MN, I'm not sure if this plant is 10% of the daily of the US pork kill or it's closure with other means that 10% of the pork kill in the US is shuttered. The news stories or articles isn't very clear. I'm guessing that plant is 10% of the daily US hog kill because I work in part of the territory where they draw hogs from and there is a lot of hog house complexes. More so than other parts of Iowa.

Things keep getting shut down and pretty soon they will be giving away a hog with every free tank of gas.  ;)

bob

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2528 on: April 21, 2020, 11:13:14 AM »

Does JBS shuffle employees around the country or something? I understand the working conditions at these plants make it easy for the virus to spread there but that's true of a lot of places deemed essential & still operating.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/coronavirus-jbs-meat-packing-plant-closes
https://www.wbay.com/content/news/JBS-workers-in-Green-Bay-to-get-pay-raise-enhanced-protection-during-pandemic-569788261.html
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2529 on: April 21, 2020, 11:19:32 AM »
Things keep getting shut down and pretty soon they will be giving away a hog with every free tank of gas.  ;)

bob

I guess I better sharpen my knives up, build a skinning table, and warn my neighbors about a dead pig or two bleeding out hanging from the ash tree in the front yard.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2530 on: April 21, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »
Does JBS shuffle employees around the country or something? I understand the working conditions at these plants make it easy for the virus to spread there but that's true of a lot of places deemed essential & still operating.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/coronavirus-jbs-meat-packing-plant-closes
https://www.wbay.com/content/news/JBS-workers-in-Green-Bay-to-get-pay-raise-enhanced-protection-during-pandemic-569788261.html

Tyson has moved employees around, doesn't surprise me that JBS would do the same thing. Upper management in the giant packers aren't what I call ideal Christians.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2531 on: April 21, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »
I guess I better sharpen my knives up, build a skinning table, and warn my neighbors about a dead pig or two bleeding out hanging from the ash tree in the front yard.

Do you skin hogs?  We always just scalded and scraped them, and left the skin on.  But that was a *long* time ago.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2532 on: April 21, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
Do you skin hogs?  We always just scalded and scraped them, and left the skin on.  But that was a *long* time ago.

When I was really little, my dad and Uncle used to butcher a hog every few months as kind of a big event for our two families and because back then they were dirt poor and buying the hog still saved you decent money. They always kept the skin on and also cooked things so that the skin got crispy. Some kind of kraut redneck thing - it was one of their favorite parts of cooking up the hog.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2533 on: April 21, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
I thought this was a pretty good point regarding who exactly is protesting lockdowns right now (and it's not about haircuts). Especially so since the NYC subway is still open, and Home Depot was crowded as heck for me yesterday. It's the senseless and arbitrary rules that allow stuff that crowds people together while citing someone on a run on a trail where no one but the cop drones are within a half mile of him. Lets everybody crowd into a subway car, but bring gov wrath down on a guy who wants to make money painting a house or something.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/04/21/reaction-to-overreach-redsteeze-shuts-down-the-elites-shaming-quarantine-protesters-who-just-wont-stay-home/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2534 on: April 21, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »
Do you skin hogs?  We always just scalded and scraped them, and left the skin on.  But that was a *long* time ago.

I'd be making roasts and grinding a lot of trim, so yes I would skin it. It's just the wife and I so I want smaller cuts.

I doubt I'd spend the time on curing hams. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2535 on: April 21, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
When I was really little, my dad and Uncle used to butcher a hog every few months as kind of a big event for our two families and because back then they were dirt poor and buying the hog still saved you decent money. They always kept the skin on and also cooked things so that the skin got crispy. Some kind of kraut redneck thing - it was one of their favorite parts of cooking up the hog.

If I was going to roast a whole hog, I'd leave the skin on.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2536 on: April 21, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
I'm trying to remember details of how we did it now; that was > 50 years ago, a couple of hogs per year.  My dad did all the work and I "helped".  My dad grew up on a farm (krauts) in central Texas during The Depression.  I don't think we were all that poor but we lived like it, mostly.  The main point of this might have been for my education. 

He shot the hog between the eyes with a .22 to stun it, and then he stuck it to bleed out.  I helped hold it for the sticking.  I don't think he kept the blood.  Then we dragged it up to the house on a sheet of plywood behind the tractor; meanwhile there was a cast iron wash-kettle full of water heating up.  We poured hot water (I think it was purposely not boiling, but almost boiling.  Maybe 190-ish) over it and scraped the hair off.

At some point, it got hoisted up in the joists in the garage and gutted, beheaded, and split in half lengthwise.  Then hung in the homemade refrigerated smokehouse to chill.

The hams and the bacon were cured with the skin on, and probably the picnics too.  The jowls made better 'bacon" than the belly meat did.  The rest got skinned as we cut them up into roasts and chops (there weren't many chops) and a *lot* got ground up into sausage.  We rendered all the skin to make lard and cracklin's, but we didn't eat all that much cracklin's.  Maybe the dogs and chickens got most of those, I dunno.  I also can't remember if we rendered the leaf fat seperately from the skin to make better lard from it.

I remember how good the pound cakes were my mom baked using fresh lard.  They were entirely different from making them with butter and Crisco, or with supermarket lard.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2537 on: April 21, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »
That’s how my dad described slaughtering hogs with his grandparents. Said it was pretty nasty. He had the tools for it hanging up on the wall but we never did it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2538 on: April 21, 2020, 02:56:47 PM »
So I heard a rumor that the closed Tyson pork plant in Columbus Junction, IA had moved asymptomatic employees to the plant in Waterloo, IA. I really don't think to highly of the management of any of the management of the big 5 meat packers, so I don't have a hard time believing this. Guess what we have a Covid-19 outbreak at the Waterloo, IA Tyson pork kill plant.

They have reopened the Tyson kill plant in Columbus Junction on a limited basis (whatever that means). Also saw that there is more to the rumor about Tyson moving asymptomatic employees around.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2539 on: April 21, 2020, 03:02:59 PM »
I'm trying to remember details of how we did it now; that was > 50 years ago, a couple of hogs per year.  My dad did all the work and I "helped".  My dad grew up on a farm (krauts) in central Texas during The Depression.  I don't think we were all that poor but we lived like it, mostly.  The main point of this might have been for my education. 

He shot the hog between the eyes with a .22 to stun it, and then he stuck it to bleed out.  I helped hold it for the sticking.  I don't think he kept the blood.  Then we dragged it up to the house on a sheet of plywood behind the tractor; meanwhile there was a cast iron wash-kettle full of water heating up.  We poured hot water (I think it was purposely not boiling, but almost boiling.  Maybe 190-ish) over it and scraped the hair off.

At some point, it got hoisted up in the joists in the garage and gutted, beheaded, and split in half lengthwise.  Then hung in the homemade refrigerated smokehouse to chill.

The hams and the bacon were cured with the skin on, and probably the picnics too.  The jowls made better 'bacon" than the belly meat did.  The rest got skinned as we cut them up into roasts and chops (there weren't many chops) and a *lot* got ground up into sausage.  We rendered all the skin to make lard and cracklin's, but we didn't eat all that much cracklin's.  Maybe the dogs and chickens got most of those, I dunno.  I also can't remember if we rendered the leaf fat seperately from the skin to make better lard from it.

I remember how good the pound cakes were my mom baked using fresh lard.  They were entirely different from making them with butter and Crisco, or with supermarket lard.

scalding temp is 150-155F

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2540 on: April 21, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »
On that note, we are wondering where are all the MI, stroke, appendicitis, and diabetic crisis patients are who used to be in our ER?  We are seeing drops all over the region, so they are not going to other facilities.  Are people dying at home or gutting it out?  What have you seen at the VA ER?

NYC reported a very high home-death rate during the last month.  Some reports were of it being up 400%.  Makes you wonder, if people were riding it out at home with other conditions rather than risk an ER trip. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2541 on: April 21, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
scalding temp is 150-155F

Do y'all put lye in the scaldin' water?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsOG0ZVNftE

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2542 on: April 21, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »
Do y'all put lye in the scaldin' water?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsOG0ZVNftE

This falls under don't try this at home. If you have hard water a small bit of lye can soften it a bit. Too much lye and you can raise room temperature water to 200F pretty quick.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2543 on: April 21, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »
"Do y'all put lye in the scaldin' water?"

Never heard of using lye.

We used lime.

Between the lime and the hot pig and hair, it stank like hell.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2544 on: April 21, 2020, 11:51:48 PM »
Granddad used to save the blood to make catfish bait. Him and his brothers went in on a hog and a rental meat locker years ago.

They are all gone now so don't remember much else.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2545 on: April 22, 2020, 12:45:22 AM »

We used lime.

If you fart in the fresh meat aisle at the store, you get the same smell as when you eviscerate a pig.  In case you ever get nostalgic ;)  TMYK...
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2546 on: April 22, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »
I thought this was a pretty good point regarding who exactly is protesting lockdowns right now (and it's not about haircuts). Especially so since the NYC subway is still open, and Home Depot was crowded as heck for me yesterday. It's the senseless and arbitrary rules that allow stuff that crowds people together while citing someone on a run on a trail where no one but the cop drones are within a half mile of him. Lets everybody crowd into a subway car, but bring gov wrath down on a guy who wants to make money painting a house or something.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/04/21/reaction-to-overreach-redsteeze-shuts-down-the-elites-shaming-quarantine-protesters-who-just-wont-stay-home/
And I hear that in NYC, the mayor is still going to parks and the gym. 

Is there anywhere with more severe lock down rules that doesn't have arbitrary rules?   I am not sure if obvious hypocritical behavior by people in charge is happening everywhere.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2547 on: April 22, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »

We used lime.

Lime? Water too soft?

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2548 on: April 22, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »
Don't they have anything better to do than write stuff like this, like maybe unclog toilets in Sec 8 Apartments?

Coronavirus deaths greater among Fox News viewers that prefer Hannity over Tucker Carlson, study says https://t.co/xXGLPt2Wvb

— Newsweek (@Newsweek) April 22, 2020
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/22/you-guys-are-sick-newsweek-touts-study-finding-that-sean-hannitys-viewers-are-more-likely-to-die-from-covid19-than-tucker-carlsons/

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:07:38 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2549 on: April 22, 2020, 01:11:58 PM »
Don't they have anything better to do than write stuff like this, like maybe unclog toilets in Sec 8 Apartments?
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/22/you-guys-are-sick-newsweek-touts-study-finding-that-sean-hannitys-viewers-are-more-likely-to-die-from-covid19-than-tucker-carlsons/

Unlike Fox, Newsweek is a serious, legitimate news organization. :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife