Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453875 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2725 on: April 29, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/accurate-us-coronavirus-death-count-experts-off-tens/story?id=70385359

An interesting article about establishing an accurate death count of COVID-19.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2726 on: April 29, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/accurate-us-coronavirus-death-count-experts-off-tens/story?id=70385359

Finally talking about Cardiac issues and Covid-19 in the MSM.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2728 on: April 29, 2020, 06:32:59 PM »
With things being this dictatorial wherein people are paying for their health care through insurance or by cash, imagine how tyrannical it would be with single payer health care...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2729 on: April 29, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2731 on: April 29, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
MSM wants us to enact more government control, China style.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/04/29/cnn-analysis-for-some-chinas-model-of-control-is-looking-increasingly-attractive/

"Increasingly attractive", in this case, means "what we wanted all along but have a new excuse for it."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2732 on: April 29, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2733 on: April 29, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »

There's another aspect -- we don't have any data on recoveries. The protocol for "officially" establishing that someone has recovered is two negative tests, taken 24 hours apart. We don't have enough testing capacity yet to test people who may be infected -- the incoming side of the bell curve. So we have NO capacity for testing people on the other side, those who are (hopefully) recovered. And, until we establish reliable testing for recoveries ... we have NO IDEA how many active cases there are in the country.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2734 on: April 29, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
There's another aspect -- we don't have any data on recoveries. The protocol for "officially" establishing that someone has recovered is two negative tests, taken 24 hours apart. We don't have enough testing capacity yet to test people who may be infected -- the incoming side of the bell curve. So we have NO capacity for testing people on the other side, those who are (hopefully) recovered. And, until we establish reliable testing for recoveries ... we have NO IDEA how many active cases there are in the country.

One thing Iowa has been trying their best, just numbers on # positive cases, # in hospital beds, # dead, # recovered. and # of available ICU every day. Right now Iowa is about 35% recovered and 2.1% positive have become fatalities.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2735 on: April 29, 2020, 10:48:27 PM »
On the ABC story, I was interested to read there is not a national consensus or guidance on how to attribute a death to COVID-19.  That is going to make it difficult to compare apples to apples across the country.  Your death in Florida may not be the same as a death in North Dakota.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2736 on: April 30, 2020, 08:37:27 AM »
I'm assuming Wisonsin has LE take an oath to the constitution when they are sworn in? Doesn't look like it took.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/04/29/totalitarian-garbage-video-shows-officers-giving-wisconsin-mom-a-warning-for-allowing-daughter-to-play-at-neighbors-house-during-stay-at-home-order/

That is absolutely chilling.  They even pulled the "we've got your name on the list of uncooperatives" ploy. 

Those cops come off as zealots in my eyes.  They show an almost religious adherence and belief in the State and the dictates they're expected to enforce.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2737 on: April 30, 2020, 08:43:04 AM »
That is absolutely chilling.  They even pulled the "we've got your name on the list of uncooperatives" ploy. 

Yeah, that got me too. That was straight out of a Gestapo scene from a WW2 B movie.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2738 on: April 30, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »
One thing Iowa has been trying their best, just numbers on # positive cases, # in hospital beds, # dead, # recovered. and # of available ICU every day. Right now Iowa is about 35% recovered and 2.1% positive have become fatalities.

Those are reported numbers, not actual numbers.

Narrative vs reality
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2739 on: April 30, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »
Quote from: charby
Numbers

Quote from: Ron

Do we really have to go through this every day? :'(
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2740 on: April 30, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
The San Francisco model except with chickens

A city in Sweden plans on spreading 2,000 pounds of chicken manure to deter festival crowds descending on the area Thursday amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Tens of thousands of people typically travel to the Swedish city of Lund in celebration of Walpurgis Night, a festival that also sees parties and bonfires scattered across Europe. Officials believe the smell of manure will help detract people from the gathering, which is classified as "spontaneous," so it can't be banned by authorities.

Swedish city to dump metric ton of chicken manure in park to discourage festival gathering
https://www.foxnews.com/health/swedish-city-dump-2000-pounds-chicken-manure-in-park-limit-large-gathering-amid-coronavirus
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2741 on: April 30, 2020, 11:08:13 AM »
"Walpurgis Night"

We need to celebrate that here, spontaneous bonfires and dancing. We all could use a little Saint Walpurga to chase off the Covid.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2742 on: April 30, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
Muh constitutionz!  Keep hearing this bleating all over facebook, and somewhat here, too.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

States have elected representatives who have passed emergency powers laws. This is how they enforce curfews after hurricanes and earthquakes, and how they quell riots.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, this is the facts.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2743 on: April 30, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »
South Korea, which waged an early battle against COVID-19 after the disease emerged from China, said on Thursday that it had no new domestic cases for the first time since a surge nearly 10 weeks ago.

The country experienced its first case on Jan. 20, but didn't see infections ramp up until mid-February. They peaked on Feb. 29 with 909 daily cases and have been trending down ever since.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported just four new coronavirus infections on Thursday, all of them cases that came from outside the country.
Good for them!
We can't duplicate their approach, but certainly we could learn a few things from them and make improvements.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2744 on: April 30, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/50-bodies-found-in-u-haul-trucks-outside-new-york-city-funeral-home

A foul smell outside a Brooklyn funeral home led to the discovery of dozens of bodies kept in unrefrigerated rented U-Haul trucks, as well as additional bodies lying on the floor inside the establishment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2745 on: April 30, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/50-bodies-found-in-u-haul-trucks-outside-new-york-city-funeral-home

I honestly can't blame them, they must be overwhelmed. At least they were keeping them cool and not rotting away outdoors.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2746 on: April 30, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
I honestly can't blame them, they must be overwhelmed. At least they were keeping them cool and not rotting away outdoors.

A foul smell outside a Brooklyn funeral home led to the discovery of dozens of bodies kept in unrefrigerated rented U-Haul trucks
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2748 on: April 30, 2020, 01:38:53 PM »
Muh constitutionz!  Keep hearing this bleating all over facebook, and somewhat here, too.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

States have elected representatives who have passed emergency powers laws. This is how they enforce curfews after hurricanes and earthquakes, and how they quell riots.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, this is the facts.

This is not a great argument.  The Bill of rights has been [mostly] incorporated to the states.  Things like the free exercise of religion (Easter Mass), or the right to peaceably assemble, both to petition for a redress of grievances and "to associate with others in pursuit of a wide variety of political, social, economic, educational, religious, and cultural ends" [Roberts v. United States Jaycees] are pretty firmly established as protected, and that prohibition on violating that right absolutely applies to the states, regardless of what their elected representatives may think.  

I know there are emergency powers laws, and I know why, but the First Amendment gets Strict Scrutiny (at least the religious parts), and this level of interference has definitely not been litigated.  SO it's fair to say "Muh constitutionz!" because it very likely that at minimum the banning of religious services by the states is unconstitutional.  Free assembly is an important right, as Hong Kong could probably tell you right now.

I recognize that I am in a minority (of the US) but no one ever promised Freedom was safe.  If Freedom, and not letting the state (or States) run roughshod means there is a measurable increase in deaths from any number of things than that's what it means.  For the same reason that we shouldn't let the States limit shitty food, or not exercising, or taking drugs, or unprotected sex, or anyone of a number of things that cause death or spread disease we shouldn't let State legislatures tell us we can or can't leave our houses or BBQ with friends.  Sorry, not sorry.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2749 on: April 30, 2020, 01:45:07 PM »
This is not a great argument.  The Bill of rights has been [mostly] incorporated to the states.  Things like the free exercise of religion (Easter Mass), or the right to peaceably assemble, both to petition for a redress of grievances and "to associate with others in pursuit of a wide variety of political, social, economic, educational, religious, and cultural ends" [Roberts v. United States Jaycees] are pretty firmly established as protected, and that prohibition on violating that right absolutely applies to the states, regardless of what their elected representatives may think.  

I know there are emergency powers laws, and I know why, but the First Amendment gets Strict Scrutiny (at least the religious parts), and this level of interference has definitely not been litigated.  SO it's fair to say "Muh constitutionz!" because it very likely that at minimum the banning of religious services by the states is unconstitutional.  Free assembly is an important right, as Hong Kong could probably tell you right now.

I recognize that I am in a minority (of the US) but no one ever promised Freedom was safe.  If Freedom, and not letting the state (or States) run roughshod means there is a measurable increase in deaths from any number of things than that's what it means.  For the same reason that we shouldn't let the States limit shitty food, or not exercising, or taking drugs, or unprotected sex, or anyone of a number of things that cause death or spread disease we shouldn't let State legislatures tell us we can or can't leave our houses or BBQ with friends.  Sorry, not sorry.

I actually agree. 

What has been exposed, however, is the dots from representative government to the laws they pass including emergency powers, to how they can actually be applied and used.
It's kind of a made our bed moment.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”