Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453869 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2775 on: May 02, 2020, 04:47:37 PM »
Cool story bro.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2776 on: May 02, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »
Sheep make a lot of noise when they are being herded.

That's true. Also, the wolf and the sheepdog best beware that there are a few rams in the flock.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Perd Hapley

• friend

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2778 on: May 03, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
People losing patience at a Costco.
The usual Costco crowd from my experience is usually a bit more layed backed than lets say Walmart

New Rochelle Costco calls cops to help control chaotic crowds
https://nypost.com/2020/05/02/new-york-costco-calls-cops-to-help-control-chaotic-crowds/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2779 on: May 03, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »
The new spin is that “open” rallies are rooted in white privilege and racism, and that it’s modern day slavery to expect people to go back to work...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2780 on: May 03, 2020, 02:08:33 PM »
The new spin is that “open” rallies are rooted in white privilege and racism, and that it’s modern day slavery to expect people to go back to work...

:facepalm:   The stoopidz .......  iz growin' faster than The Andromeda Strain. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2781 on: May 03, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

Yeah, just saw this on foxnews
But they're been using the Everyone I don't like Is Racist tact for awhile

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer slammed the protesters who gathered inside the state's Capitol building on Thursday to demand she rescind her stay-at-home orders, saying they represented the “worst racism and awful parts” of  U.S. history.

“Some of the outrageousness of what happened at our capitol depicted some of the worst racism and awful parts of our history in this country,” Whitmer said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“The behavior you've seen in all of the clips is not representative of who we are in Michigan,” she added.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigans-whitmer-says-armed-protesters-displayed-worst-racism-and-awful-parts-of-u-s-history
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2782 on: May 03, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »
Yeah, just saw this on foxnews
But they're been using the Everyone I don't like Is Racist tact for awhile
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigans-whitmer-says-armed-protesters-displayed-worst-racism-and-awful-parts-of-u-s-history

The MSM take is that these people stormed and raided the MI state house, and are terrorists. Yet if you watch videos of the event, the "armed raiders" were standing in line waiting for LE to take their temperatures and admit them, and saying "please" and "thank you". LE looked to be cool with things as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2783 on: May 03, 2020, 02:18:14 PM »
Many on the left have been trying to turn this whole C19 thing into a white vs black race issue since day one.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2784 on: May 03, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
The MSM take is that these people stormed and raided the MI state house, and are terrorists. Yet if you watch videos of the event, the "armed raiders" were standing in line waiting for LE to take their temperatures and admit them, and saying "please" and "thank you". LE looked to be cool with things as well.

Facts are racist
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2785 on: May 03, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »
Many on the left have been trying to turn this whole C19 thing into a white vs black race issue since day one.

Like that it’s “hitting minority populations harder than whites”
Here in VA several black churches in Richmond ignored the social distancing guidelines and held service.  Guess who had a pastor die?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2786 on: May 03, 2020, 05:49:50 PM »
Like that it’s “hitting minority populations harder than whites”
Here in VA several black churches in Richmond ignored the social distancing guidelines and held service.  Guess who had a pastor die?

It was God's will.   ;)

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2787 on: May 03, 2020, 09:34:56 PM »

It's enough to make one sceptical of the racial disparity they're reporting on Covid cases. =| [tinfoil]

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #2788 on: May 04, 2020, 07:55:35 AM »
I know shutting off an entire town has been discussed. Not sure if it was in this thread or not. If this would be better in a separate thread then please move it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gallup-new-mexico-riot-control-act-roads-closed-coronavirus/

Gallop NM has been shut off (all roads) via checkpoints.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2789 on: May 04, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »

They have 3  plays in their playbook. That's play #1, so not too surprising.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2790 on: May 04, 2020, 09:13:38 AM »
I know shutting off an entire town has been discussed. Not sure if it was in this thread or not. If this would be better in a separate thread then please move it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gallup-new-mexico-riot-control-act-roads-closed-coronavirus/

Gallop NM has been shut off (all roads) via checkpoints.

Are they blocking I-40? 
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2791 on: May 04, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »
Are they blocking I-40? 

I'll bet they've just blocked exits 16, 20, 22, and 26.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2792 on: May 04, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »
https://thefederalist.com/2020/05/04/cnn-uses-coronavirus-double-standard-to-slam-republican-governor/

Not surprisingly, Big Media is going after Republican governors and praising Democrats, even if the Republicans are doing as well or better.

Also, this:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/05/04/coronavirus-shutdowns-expose-the-new-class-divide/

Sitting in your home office, well supplied with all the necessities by untouchable delivery people, please spare us the “we’re all in this together” pablum. You are sitting in comfortable self-protection only because the delivery people and their brothers and sisters of the new working class are out on-site at their jobs, working to fill your and your fellow elites’ every need.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:41:55 AM by fistful »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2793 on: May 04, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »
I'm confused again.
Am I unfairly privileged or oppressed since I'm essential personnel and have to risk my life and brave the Corona threat everyday?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2794 on: May 04, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
I'm confused again.
Am I unfairly privileged or oppressed since I'm essential personnel and have to risk my life and brave the Corona threat everyday?

True dat.  With the added bonus of working in a healthcare facility filled with sick people.  The only saving grace is that when I am in my office with the door shut, I can take off the mask.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2795 on: May 04, 2020, 02:37:38 PM »
Just sat through a meeting of the Campus Reopening Committee. What a joke. At least the idea of propping bathroom doors open was blown to smithereens. Grand Idea for Today? Entry checkpoints. What started as a simple IR temp & self-disclosure idea quickly morphed into an overblown system of building checkpoints campus-wide databases.

Short of creating and staffing an entirely new department, there's no way to implement what they're proposing for over a hundred major buildings, another 100 or so ancillary structures, and 7000-plus employees. And that's not counting the time it will take to get all the checkpoint staff HIPAA trained since they'll be taking and logging confidential health info. I'm hoping they get exactly what they're pushing for because it will self-implode the first day.

It's a typical committee of academicians... long on Big Important Ideas and talk, short on actually efficiency and realistic workability. I see them getting some uselessly convoluted and wholly unworkable plan in place just about the time it's no longer needed.

By the end of the meeting I was biting my lip to keep from laughing every time the committee head said "I'm developing a Decision Tree for that" (a flow chart to us peasants). Apparently they are her thing and she doesn't waste an opportunity to make one. From what I hear they can be quite impressive in both scope and scale.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2796 on: May 04, 2020, 02:51:32 PM »
I'm confused again.

The way I see it there aren't any "heroes", "privileged" or "oppressed".  It's just people doing their job in the career they've chosen.

Anything else is sensationalism.

Snip:

Short of creating and staffing an entirely new department, there's no way to implement what they're proposing for over a hundred major buildings, another 100 or so ancillary structures, and 7000-plus employees. And that's not counting the time it will take to get all the checkpoint staff HIPAA trained since they'll be taking and logging confidential health info. I'm hoping they get exactly what they're pushing for because it will self-implode the first day.

/Snip

Brad

The bold part got me to thinking of what's being done at work.  Management has a random assortment of untrained people from various dept's taking temperatures and asking health related questions, i.e. How's your sense of smell/taste, how's your stomach, headache, etc.  They're not recording the info.  There are occasionally other's in the area who can hear the questions and answers.

FWIW, according to the thermometer they're using my temp's always been in the 97* to 98* range.  The first day it was 97.1*.  ???

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2797 on: May 04, 2020, 02:56:53 PM »
Are the last few comments in response to the Federalist article? I believe the writer is saying that some people, who can work remotely, or can afford to miss a few months’ worth of income, don’t understand that some people are going broke because their jobs can’t be done remotely. Or they don’t appreciate that their lock-down lifestyle depends on people that can’t work remotely.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2798 on: May 04, 2020, 03:04:54 PM »
FWIW, according to the thermometer they're using my temp's always been in the 97* to 98* range.  The first day it was 97.1*.  ???

Saw an article recently that the 98.6 baseline is actually too high for humans today.

Not that it was wrong, but that our natural temperature has declined as we have far less infection in our bodies under "normal" conditions than in the past (that's the theory, at least). 98.6 was right in the mid-1800s when it was determined, but it's not right anymore. (That's the part with actual data to back it up.)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2799 on: May 04, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »
According to the HIPAA Journal, simply having a person's name places their information under HIPAA provisions. Search "18 PHI identifiers" for a full list. Can also be see about midway down this page under the "What is PHI" heading.

https://www.hipaajournal.com/what-is-considered-protected-health-information-under-hipaa/

However, what I'm seeing seems to indicate HIPPAA restrictions only apply if you work in health care. I can't see anything that makes HIPPAA applicable for those not in a healthcare-related role. Maybe Millcreek can enlighten us.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB